Moving to LA

Old Jul 12th 2018, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

izziizz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to LA

Hello All, I was wondering if anyone could provide info for moving to Los Angeles. I am a model/actress here in the UK and I have a base in LA I can move to instantly and I have funds saved also. My only thing is the visa. While in the US I applied to some talent agencies and they said they would like to represent me but they do not sponsor visas, but was told if I had a visa ready I could join anytime. My issue is what to do now and I was wondering if it adds any weight the fact that I have agencies that will take me on? I would appreciate any input. Thank you.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 11:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to LA

Take a look at our Wiki article called "Pulaski's Ways". It lists all the available visas to the USA.

You might be able to get an O visa if you have "exceptional" abilities (the bar isn't necessarily set very high). You WILL need agent to represent you and sponsor any work visa.

Also do a search on this forum for other threads of this nature, I'm sure you aren't the first model to have asked this question.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jul 12th 2018 at 11:21 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 11:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

On the say so of an agent who MIGHT represent you IF you get a visa to live and work in the US will not be enough to obtain a visa.

Look into the "O" visa as Rene and San Diego Girl pointed you to. You might also want to have a one time consultation with a well versed US immigration attorney, either one based in the UK or in the US. You can always facetime the appointment and/or Skype.
Old Jul 13th 2018, 12:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would speak to your UK Agent, they will be versed on what is needed.
Old Jul 13th 2018, 11:17 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

My only thing is the visa
And that's no small thing! As others have said, your UK agency will probably have experience and/or contacts for this sort of thing.
Old Jul 13th 2018, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for your replies. It may be best to get some advice from my UK agent. And I will look into all the other info provided. :-) I know is not an easy task at hand!
Old Jul 13th 2018, 9:28 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izziizz
Hello All, I was wondering if anyone could provide info for moving to Los Angeles. I am a model/actress here in the UK and I have a base in LA I can move to instantly and I have funds saved also. My only thing is the visa. While in the US I applied to some talent agencies and they said they would like to represent me but they do not sponsor visas, but was told if I had a visa ready I could join anytime. My issue is what to do now and I was wondering if it adds any weight the fact that I have agencies that will take me on? I would appreciate any input. Thank you.
There are special rules in place for fashion models. [In fact one Melania Knavs, a Slovenian model immigrated that way and now is a US citizen living in Washington, DC. But I digress.].

The model maven among immigration lawyers in Los Angeles is Bernard Wolfsdorf.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

I will look into that too S Folinsky. Thanks for your info. :-)