Moving to Houston from the UK

Old Sep 29th 2019, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Alys_w97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Houston from the UK

Hi, I’m wondering if anyone has any advice as to visas and and similar things such as work ? I’m a trainee university lecturer, I’m looking to move to Houston to be closer to my boyfriend but am unsure on how to go about visas and other bits I may need so if anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated ?
Thanks
Old Sep 29th 2019, 10:36 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Houston from the UK

Welcome to BE!

Check out this link which details all the ways to live and work in the US:
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...rk_in_the_USA_

The quick answer is that, based on your profession, marriage is likely to be your only near term option to get a visa which allows you to live and work in the US.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 1:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a Marriage forum on BE and a Mod can move this over there.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alys_w97
I’m a trainee university lecturer
What's that? Are you a postdoc/sessional staff/something else? Do you have a PhD? What field (general idea is fine)?

Are you looking for academic work in the US? If so, you need to be aware that this is a very tough path, regardless of immigration status. In fact, visas are relatively easy for an academic track. However, finding a permanent/ongoing position in a specific location is an incredibly tough ask, even taking it as a 10-year plan. Unfortunately, needing to work around an existing relationship only makes this more difficult.

If you are willing to leave academia, finding a job should be less of a mountain to climb. However, then visas become difficult. You would do well to consider the marriage-based options instead.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

😊 thank you so much, yeah I’ve picked the university setting but I’m a 16+ plus teacher so I can teach from ages 16 to the elderly. I’m not sure where that would stand the US
Old Sep 29th 2019, 4:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

😊 thank you so much, yeah I’ve picked the university setting but I’m a 16+ plus teacher so I can teach from ages 16 to the elderly. I’m not sure where that would stand the US
Unfortunately, not very far for getting a work visa. Are you and your boyfriend at a stage in the relationship where you would want to get married? That is most likely your best (or only) way to the USA.

Rene
Old Sep 29th 2019, 4:25 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It won't. Put it this way, what is so special about you that a company would spend many thousands of $$$ to bring you over, wait a good amount of time, and hire you rather than a USC that already has the qualifications and can start tomorrow?

Now you begin to see what a mountain you have to climb.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

Each State has its own regulations as far as Teaching is concerned, you would need to review what the requirements are in Texas.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
It won't. Put it this way, what is so special about you that a company would spend many thousands of $$$ to bring you over, wait a good amount of time, and hire you rather than a USC that already has the qualifications and can start tomorrow?

Now you begin to see what a mountain you have to climb.
thank you for your lovely message, I love what I do and have a 100% first pass rate with all my students. What is it that you do ? Are you in the UK or US ? Thank you I’m sure that is true but I’m very passionate and I’ll teach anywhere I can.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 6:04 pm
Often not so civil...

Not quite sure that what I do and where is relevant to your question. You asked what your chances are, in my very experienced opinion of 10 years on these boards and having been through the process myself, I don't think it's very good.

Unless you get married.

This isn't about passion for teaching. It's about what will get you a visa to live in the US with your boyfriend. Teaching is very very unlikely to do so.

Last edited by civilservant; Sep 29th 2019 at 6:08 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 6:07 pm
Account Closed

Could he move?
Old Sep 29th 2019, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for your lovely message, I love what I do and have a 100% first pass rate with all my students. What is it that you do ? Are you in the UK or US ? Thank you I’m sure that is true but I’m very passionate and I’ll teach anywhere I can.
"anywhere I can" being the important factor here....... with what you have told the forum regarding your work, you do not appear to be eligible for a work visa and therefore can't live or work in the US under this status.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 6:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You’ve not actually said, is your boyf a US citizen? Or just in Houston on a work visa?

Old Sep 29th 2019, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really know what this means. Are your qualifications in education and/or subject-matter? Almost all employment-based visas need a degree, which needs to be relevant to the job. Even if you decide to go for the marriage route, you will find that qualifications (and probably state-based certifications) will be a major requirement for being employable in any kind of teaching role.

Since I am getting confused about your current position, you can expect that any prospective employer will also get confused (= not making you an offer). I suggest that the first thing you do is figure out how to 'translate' your experience and qualifications into US parlance. This will also help us here on BE provide better advice.