Moving to Florida

Old Feb 9th 2021, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Markg.uk1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Florida

Hi I'm new to the forum my wife and I are hoping to move and work in Florida in the next few years this is our situation and our goal
we are going to be renting our house here to give us a steady income also we own a tattoo studio which we will be letting our most trusted artist-run for us so we have another income, we should have approx 150 to 170,000 dollars to buy a small property and I'm hoping to get work at a local tattoo studio as I have 20+ years experience tattooing
We are both early 50s and would like to semi-retire there at about 60ish
we also have a very close friend who lives in Sarasota for 30+ years working at Sarasota hospital

any advice will be greatly appreciated as we love America and visit every year and would love to spend the last chapter of our lives out there where it's warm

Mant thanks
Old Feb 9th 2021, 10:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Florida

Hi, welcome to BE.

A tattoo artist isn't likely to qualify for a visa, even with a job offer, unless world class - and would any employer be prepared to go through the cost/hassle/wait of sponsoring you? But if you are leaving your business running in the UK, then would opening up a US branch be an option maybe? That would perhaps give you a visa option or two.

Have a look at all the available visas here, and see if you think any may suit. https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...rk_in_the_USA_

What does your wife do?
Old Feb 9th 2021, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Hi many thanks for your reply
My wife runs our tattoo studio and is employed by me
and if we could set up another studio in the us that could be an option

as iv'e said we have just made up our minds that this is what we would like to do so were just learning the ins and outs yet

Regards
Mark
Old Feb 9th 2021, 1:57 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, even if you are able to get a visa to start a tattoo business, you are looking at an E2 - and that is known here on BE as 'the visa from hell' because it has to be renewed every few years, and does not have a path to a green card. Also, if a renewal is denied, you have to pack up and move back to the UK in a very short span of time.

In all likelihood, there is not a good visa that fits for what you want to do.

Last edited by civilservant; Feb 9th 2021 at 2:08 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Feb 9th 2021, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

My tattoo artist in London moved to the US. She got an O-1 visa as she had tattooed some famous people, had her work featured in magazines and was much sought-after. She was headhunted by a studio in southern California and people come from all over the world to be inked by her and there is often a waiting list of a year or so. So, being a tattoo artist is definitely possible but the question is (as with many paths to work visas) how good you are and what you bring to the table that others don’t. There are already lots of skilled and talented tattoo artists here.

Is there much scope for tattoo artists in Sarasota? Interesting as to why you picked that area?

I’d say it’s going to be very difficult. Not necessarily impossible, as I have seen it happen. But it’s certainly not the most straightforward case we have seen here.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Also, Theres a lot more to life here than the weather. Just coming here on holiday does not prepare you in the slightest for life here. Have you networked with tattoo artists here? Attended conventions? It’s very easy to love a place that you have only seen as a carefree holiday maker. Have you researched the cost of living vs the revenue a tattoo parlor is likely to make? What about licensing and certifications needed? Lots to consider.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 3:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Honestly, even if you are able to get a visa to start a tattoo business, you are looking at an E2 - and that is known here on BE as 'the visa from hell' because it has to be renewed every few years, and does not have a path to a green card. Also, if a renewal is denied, you have to pack up and move back to the UK in a very short span of time.
Would L1 not be an option if they were keeping their UK business open?
Old Feb 9th 2021, 3:25 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Would L1 not be an option if they were keeping their UK business open?
Theoretically, but it's a pretty heavy lift. Attorney would need to involved.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 3:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered the cost of health care and insurance in the USA? Especially as a self employed person. And especially getting up there in age.

Rene
Old Feb 9th 2021, 3:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Also, if a renewal is denied, you have to pack up and move back to the UK in a very short span of time.
The OP also talks about retiring in FL -- with an E-2 it's the same deal -- no more business, time to leave the US, no retirement here.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

You might consider just spending winters in Florida on a tourist visa. Come summer Florida loses much of its appeal anyway.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

$150K to $170K is going to buy a very small property anywhere decent in Florida?

If OP is going to use the above money to purchase a home, how much would they need to purchase a business in Florida which will get them a visa? (if not able to get a work visa via an already existing sponsoring business)
Old Feb 9th 2021, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

I am fully aware that there is a lot more to life than the weather I am just trying to get a feel if it is possible for us to come to live and work in Florida
as I said in my original post I have a good friend in Sarasota so that's why we are thinking that area, as for the finance side a decent tattooist can earn $100 per hour minimum so 7 to 800 dollars a day should be a good starting point to see if we will be able to cover the bills I have worked for 20 years as a tattoo artist and worked numerous conventions working with a lot of American Canadian artists, etc I even worked next to kat von d a few years ago
Old Feb 9th 2021, 9:09 pm
Often not so civil...

I have worked for 20 years as a tattoo artist and worked numerous conventions working with a lot of American Canadian artists, etc I even worked next to kat von d a few years ago
Worked on anyone notable? If not, your experience is largely irrelevant in terms of gaining a visa to live and work in the US. You might think we come across as harsh, but please understand that despite it's reputation, the US is one of the hardest countries in which to get a visa to live and work.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

thanks for your honesty and I understand with my age and work situation it will be very hard for us to come and live in the us, but I'm not an idiot and I know the difference between living somewhere and holidaying somewhere and know it's not just about the weather that someone put in an earlier reply, I'm just asking for some advice and don't wish to be spoken to like I'm a child my studio will still be running over hear with 4 artists still working and I will be renting my house out here and buying a small property there outright so no mortgage to worry about, and believe me household bills will be lower there than they are here so I think financially we should be ok, it's just the visas etc I'm looking to get advice on not my financial situation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.