Moving / Change of Address

Old Oct 22nd 2005, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

jim345 has a spectacular aura aboutjim345 has a spectacular aura aboutjim345 has a spectacular aura about
Default Moving / Change of Address

Hi, we are a K-1 Visa couple currently in the adjustment of status phase. We will complete our biometrics next week and then it is simply a matter of waiting a year or two for our interview. The thing is, we will be moving a few hours away, possibly only for a year, maybe a little longer. Our old mailing address is still usuable -- someone can collect our mail. Now, we know that by law we must send in the AR11 and I-865 to tell the DHS where we are. But is it a good idea to NOT change our address on the USCIS phone line? We would like to avoid having them change our mailing address simply to keep possible errors to a minimum, and also because by the time of the interview, we might be elsewhere. We wouldn't mind coming back for the interview. Is filing the AR11 but not changing our address with the USCIS a wise idea? Will the USCIS find out anyway? OR could we attach a note to the AR11 saying "we have two mailing addresses and wish to keep our case at our other one"?? I've searched the forum and many people recommended againsty changing addresses, since it can lead to trouble, but the law states we MUST file the AR11. So, what to do? Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 1:44 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving / Change of Address

Originally Posted by jim345
Is filing the AR11 but not changing our address with the USCIS a wise idea?
Umm... filing the AR-11 *is* changing your address with USCIS; the phone stuff is really only to ensure that the address is correctly changed, since the AR-11 doesn't necessarily filter down to the district offices.

I've searched the forum and many people recommended againsty changing addresses, since it can lead to trouble, but the law states we MUST file the AR11.
Don't confuse the two: one is moving, the other is notifying USCIS. If you move, you must notify USCIS. The recommendation is to *not* move in the first place!

Ian
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 1:51 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we are a K-1 Visa couple currently in the adjustment of status phase. We will complete our biometrics next week and then it is simply a matter of waiting a year or two for our interview. The thing is, we will be moving a few hours away, possibly only for a year, maybe a little longer. Our old mailing address is still usuable -- someone can collect our mail. Now, we know that by law we must send in the AR11 and I-865 to tell the DHS where we are. But is it a good idea to NOT change our address on the USCIS phone line? We would like to avoid having them change our mailing address simply to keep possible errors to a minimum, and also because by the time of the interview, we might be elsewhere. We wouldn't mind coming back for the interview. Is filing the AR11 but not changing our address with the USCIS a wise idea? Will the USCIS find out anyway? OR could we attach a note to the AR11 saying "we have two mailing addresses and wish to keep our case at our other one"?? I've searched the forum and many people recommended againsty changing addresses, since it can lead to trouble, but the law states we MUST file the AR11. So, what to do? Thanks in advance.
Hi:

BTW, the I-865 is not enforceable until you obtain LPR status and you don't have it yet.

If you want to avoid problems on your AOS, I suggest strongly that you don't move. That would be the cleanest solution. It is YOUR proposed action that is creating the complication.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

jim345 has a spectacular aura aboutjim345 has a spectacular aura aboutjim345 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Umm... filing the AR-11 *is* changing your address with USCIS; the phone stuff is really only to ensure that the address is correctly changed, since the AR-11 doesn't necessarily filter down to the district offices.
If we don't telephone, and it doesn't trickle down to the district offices, wouldn't that result in less trouble? They would be more likely to use our old address. That's what I meant.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

If we don't telephone, and it doesn't trickle down to the district offices, wouldn't that result in less trouble? They would be more likely to use our old address. That's what I meant.
Why would you want them to use your old address, where you wont be living?
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If we don't telephone, and it doesn't trickle down to the district offices, wouldn't that result in less trouble?
The problem comes if it does trickles down... and that does happen. When you return after a year, someone at USCIS might suddenly realize that there's an outstanding AR-11 and update the records with, now, incorrect information. Any notices will be sent to the wrong place! Umm... if you see what I mean! It's your choice to move, of course, but staying on top of where your file is and what information USCIS has, can be somewhat daunting.

Ian
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The problem comes if it does trickles down... and that does happen. When you return after a year, someone at USCIS might suddenly realize that there's an outstanding AR-11 and update the records with, now, incorrect information. Any notices will be sent to the wrong place! Umm... if you see what I mean! It's your choice to move, of course, but staying on top of where your file is and what information USCIS has, can be somewhat daunting.

Ian

Unfortunately, for work, we have to move. Keeping the old address would be prefered if it would keep them from making yet more mistakes. Oh well, I guess it can't be done. Thanks for your advice.
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 8:54 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, for work, we have to move. Keeping the old address would be prefered if it would keep them from making yet more mistakes. Oh well, I guess it can't be done. Thanks for your advice.
Hi Jim,

By moving a few hours away, will that change your local office? If so, you need to do the complete change of address, notifying the service center, local office, and all that, so they know where to send your interview notice.

If not, I think you should be ok with just fiiling the AR-11, and let the mail still come to your first address, as long as you will be able to collect it there. Sounds reasonable to me, anyway.

Rene
Old Oct 24th 2005, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Jim,

By moving a few hours away, will that change your local office? If so, you need to do the complete change of address, notifying the service center, local office, and all that, so they know where to send your interview notice.

If not, I think you should be ok with just fiiling the AR-11, and let the mail still come to your first address, as long as you will be able to collect it there. Sounds reasonable to me, anyway.

Rene
Thanks for the reply.

It will be a few hours away. We wouldn't mind, since it is only for that last interview. Also, we will still be able to get our mail from the old address (family).

The question is whether only filing the AR11 will result in any unforseen difficulties. Has anyone ever done this?
Old Oct 25th 2005, 7:52 am
Just Joined

hollyga is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!

I posted the same info in another thread, regarding "address change".

We changed our address twice (CO to GA & then within GA) while my AOS is pending and we never had any problems with it.

BCIS always send us confirmation notices/letters that they have updated our address in their system.

I hope these helps.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hollyga
Hi!
We changed our address twice (CO to GA & then within GA) while my AOS is pending and we never had any problems with it.

Hi, thanks for the info. Did you just file the AR11, or did phone and send any extra address change notifications?
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

hollyga is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!

My husband (USC) filed the change of address forms (I-865).

Since, I'm still in school, our university's International Student & Scholars (ISS) office told me they can change my address in my SEVIS records. They've been updating my file on SEVIS ever since I applied for AOS. So I have not filed any AR-11 yet. I think they only removed me offcially from SEVIS after I showed them my greencard.

When we moved from CO to GA, my husband submitted the change of addres form & he also inform the local BCIS office in Denver about our change of address. He said the staff change it in the computer (!?).

For our second move, my husband just submitted another I-865.

During our AOS interview, the BCIS officer updated our address & phone numbers in the forms we originally filed.

If you don't receive any comfirmation letter regarding your address change, I suggest you call the 1-800 BCIS number.

I hope these helps.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:20 am
THE Member

Seanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Jim,

Rene
hey Reneeee,

So you would really only have to file the AR-11 with your local district office if you were moving say within the same city and nothing else would change, like your service centre etc...?

~S~
Old Oct 26th 2005, 3:39 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seanus
hey Reneeee,

So you would really only have to file the AR-11 with your local district office if you were moving say within the same city and nothing else would change, like your service centre etc...?

~S~
Well, I'm thinking in this particular case, where he can still definitely retrieve mail from his old address, if moving does not change which local office he will use, then I wouldn't bother, no. Especially since they are planning to move back to that address at some point.

Law only requires the AR-11 to be filed. It's your choice to notify the local office, service center, etc.

The way I see this scenario is....if filing the AR-11 new address doesn't trickle down, then fine. He'll still get his mail at his old address and won't miss his AOS appointment letter. If it does trickle down, he'll get the appointment letter at the new address. Either way, seems he'll get the letter.

That's all assuming moving 3 hours away does not change his local district office.

Rene