British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Moving to Aspen (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/moving-aspen-937077/)

trentschris Feb 10th 2021 7:54 pm

Moving to Aspen

Hi all, I've just found this forum...its fantastic!

I know what you're thinking...this is another "I want to move to....." thread .... well your right, but here's my story.

I've enjoyed some great times on the west coast and the rockies area through both business and pleasure and I'd like to make the move to Aspen, CO. Here's some details that may be relevant:

- As a kid I was computer nerd and from an early age I was coding etc. As I grew through my teens/school I decided not to go to uni and instead create a start-up with a partner (no degree)
- After some success, we were acquired by a large tech company for a substanital fee (8 figures usd)
- I have a partner, not married, no kids

I believe there is a visa for well-qualified immigrants who are financially able to provide evidence of $1MM(??). Do you know what this visa is? I also have money tied up in shares that could be liquidated, but pretty sure my cash flow would be sufficient.

Would an immi lawyer take care of this relatively easily given my financial stauts? So I could send it all their way? I've alwys been one to DIY hence why I wanted to see what you guys think before consulting someone professionally.

Thanks

Olly_ Feb 10th 2021 8:10 pm

Re: Moving to Aspen

It's an EB-5 visa but it's for people who invest in a US business and create a minimum number of jobs so there's a lot more to it than just proving you have the funds. The minimum investment has gone up to $1.8M (or $900k if the business is in an area with high unemployment).

https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the...classification

Nutmegger Feb 10th 2021 10:39 pm

The OP should also note that only a spouse, not a partner, can obtain any immigration benefit from his status.

trentschris Feb 10th 2021 11:29 pm

Thanks guys... appreciate the input. I think i'll get some counsel on this.

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 11th 2021 12:34 am

You need financial guidance with an investment of this magnitude.

Dmac_ Feb 11th 2021 2:16 am

Congrats on skipping uni and doing your own thing. Given that you've been successful with this, look into O-1 (or its big brother, the EB-1A) visa on the USCIS side. Do you feel you might qualify for either of those?

S Folinsky Feb 11th 2021 6:58 am

When I was in practice, I would avoid limiting “what can I do” questions to “can I do defined XYZ?” Rather, I would go down a question/decision tree to figure out a viable path. In this case, the question should be a broad “how can I move to Aspen?” This is the question to be posed in a professional consultation.

I agree with the notation that “partner” in US immigration is limited to spouses. (Note that this includes same-sex marriage).

The inquiry tree can lead to paths which may not be so obvious. I recall a consultation where a man was looking to immigrate to the US and the path was difficult. We then looked at his stay-at-home spouse. It turned out she was Canadian who had trained as a nurse in Canada. Well, since the US and Canada share nurse training evaluation/certification, she was considered the equivalent of a US trained RN.

I had another case which was about business related immigration but the tree revealed that paternal grandmother was US born. That little fact set up a chain for family immigration.

Also, look at PLACE of birth of both spouses. So, let’s say that one spouse was born in Belfast and the other’s father had served in the BAOR/BFG when she was born in Germany. That can create interesting permutations.

Good luck.

trentschris Feb 11th 2021 12:55 pm

Thanks for the input... to the comment on financial quidance, I'm very well supported with multiple professionals who look after the well being of my accounts, so good there.

Appreciate the comments on the partner situation.

We'll work through the options (if any)...it may end up that purchasing a property in Aspen and spending a few months there a year is a better path.

Thanks.

steveq Feb 11th 2021 11:09 pm

The EB1A would be a good one to get and you can, I believe, self-sponsor for it.....could save you a million or so.....
Would you set up a new company here to play with ?

trentschris Feb 12th 2021 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by steveq (Post 12970850)
The EB1A would be a good one to get and you can, I believe, self-sponsor for it.....could save you a million or so.....
Would you set up a new company here to play with ?

We've considered a start-up in the area for a few years, and have had certian opportinities with some contacts situated on the west coast, but up to now, nothing has really gotten the juices flowing to motivate us to jump to something new.

steveq Feb 12th 2021 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by trentschris (Post 12971225)
We've considered a start-up in the area for a few years, and have had certian opportinities with some contacts situated on the west coast, but up to now, nothing has really gotten the juices flowing to motivate us to jump to something new.

Stuff happens here, when you can build your networks. There's more of a spirit of entrepreneurship here than I ever found back home. I'm involved in a couple of groups nudging towards start-up.

Nand Mar 2nd 2021 3:30 pm

Is there even fiber internet service in Aspen?

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 3rd 2021 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly (Post 12978868)
Is there even fiber internet service in Aspen?

Why would you think there was not, we have it in a nowhere near as developed area as Aspen.

trentschris Mar 4th 2021 2:05 pm

Internet is the least of our worries now......:D

In the last few wees after much diuscussion we've abandoned the thought of an American move/purchase and have done a 180, choosing to buy somehere in the South of France or Geneva.

Thanks for the input and keep up the good work on this site.

bullettoothtony Mar 25th 2021 2:12 pm

With regards to fiber internet, if Aspen is anything like Colorado Springs, there will be access but only one provider who does a mediocre job of maintaining service.