Moving to Alaska

Old Sep 26th 2019, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Clare2786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Alaska

Hi Everyone,

My family and I are considering moving to Alaska, our current situation is that me and my husband run our own business in the UK and own our home. We are thinking of starting a business in Alaska and selling our home in the UK to buy one there. Our children are aged 2 and 10 and currently go to private schools. We are looking at Anchorage as an option, probably just outside the main town.

I have so many questions, my main one being what steps do we need to take to become residents in Alaska. I have found loads of posts on getting a job and sponsored Visa's but we would be setting up a business and creating jobs so not sure which route we need to go. I am sure we cant just go and buy property and business premises without having some kind of VISA/Permit.

Secondly, is anyone able to recommend schools in the area and how does it work with grade etc. My eldest will probably do her exams here in the UK to get her GCSE's then look at College/University in Alaska.

This is not something we are taking lightly, it will take alot of planning and several years to arrange everything. Any advice is warmly welcomed.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 9:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Alaska

Hi, and welcome to BE.

You're quite right, you can't just up and move without a visa (although you could buy a house and business, but not sure there's much point if you can't live and work there). How much would you be investing in the visa and how many US citizens would you be employing? Be aware that the most likely visa (E-2) is only temporary, no direct path to a greencard, and once your children 'age out', they'd have to either leave the US or switch to a visa in their own right. Not ideal if they've lived there for years and it's the only home they know, the E-2 is often known as the 'visa from hell' for that and other reasons. Is keeping your UK business with other staff running it an option, or would you have to sell/close the business in the UK?

I'll move this thread to the US immi section of the forum, as visa is really the first step, the forum pros can help you out with that side of things. There are tons of threads on Alaska too, worth a read.

Best of luck to you.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Hi, Thank you for responding so quickly. We would want to sell our UK business as our idea is to downsize to a smaller more managable business and enjoy the pace of life that Alaska is famous for. We are thinking a coffee shop or similar, so maybe 3-5 employees depending on growth and maybe also investing in property, renovating apartments to make nice affordable rental accommodation.

Our move to Alaska would be a permanent one, so the less ties back to the UK the better.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 10:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Short version EB 5 investment visa.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 11:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, agree with Boiler, EB-5 seems the only option from what you've said. I think I've read somewhere that the minimum investment is almost doubling to $900k in November though.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 26th 2019 at 11:09 am.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yep, agree with Boiler, EB-5 seems the only option from what you've said. I think I've read somewhere that the minimum investment is almost doubling to $900k in November though.

Good luck.
Hi, Thank you, that wouldnt be a problem. Do you know if this visa would allow all my family to live in Alaska? or where i can find more information
Old Sep 26th 2019, 11:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Clare2786
Hi, Thank you, that wouldnt be a problem. Do you know if this visa would allow all my family to live in Alaska? or where i can find more information
A quick Google should give you more info, but you'd essentially be buying green cards for all of you for $900k. Not sure by 'all my family' you mean anybody else, but it would just be your spouse and children (and yourself of course).

Here's the official info about the program - https://www.uscis.gov/eb-5

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 26th 2019 at 11:23 am.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 11:24 am
Just Joined

haha yes sorry i meant me, my husband and children. Although my Brother in law and his wife want to come too.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 11:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

haha yes sorry i meant me, my husband and children. Although my Brother in law and his wife want to come too.
They'll need to qualify for a visa in their own right, they can't tag on to yours for the $900k unfortunately! Here's an overview of all of the visa routes for the US - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...rk_in_the_USA_

HTH.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 11:33 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Consult an immigration attorney. An EB5 is not usually a do it yourself.

One wonders if you have even been to Alaska? You do realize the price of goods there right?

My eldest will probably do her exams here in the UK to get her GCSE's then look at College/University in Alaska.
So you're thinking at least 6 years, based on the fact they are currently 10.

Who knows what the immigration laws/visa availability will be by that point.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Yes probably about 6 years time , i know things change but at least if i know where things are now i will have a rough idea of what is needed, i am trying to be responsible and organized haha. I have not yet been to Alaska but planning on visiting soon, we will do at least 2 weeks in the winter and 2 in the summer to make sure we can manage with the weather. And that we 100% want to move as its a big decision that i am not taking lightly. I mainly wanted to see if it would be an option as i have seen so many posts others have put up and they have been told they have no chance.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 12:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes probably about 6 years time , i know things change but at least if i know where things are now i will have a rough idea of what is needed, i am trying to be responsible and organized haha. I have not yet been to Alaska but planning on visiting soon, we will do at least 2 weeks in the winter and 2 in the summer to make sure we can manage with the weather. And that we 100% want to move as its a big decision that i am not taking lightly. I mainly wanted to see if it would be an option as i have seen so many posts others have put up and they have been told they have no chance.
Many do have no chance as the US is a tough country to immigrate to, but that doesn't seem to be the case with you if you've got $900k you're prepared to lose. I'm intrigued with choosing Alaska if you've not even visited there, it's certainly an unusual choice! But a search of the forum should bring up quite a few relevant threads for a bit of light reading. If you've got any other questions about the EB-5 visa then do ask them here, and any Alaska lifestyle type questions (schools/health insurance/culture etc) are best placed in the main US forums.

HTH.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for all your help. The reason we are drawn to Alaska is simply the way of life, the wilderness and outdoor lifestyle. A more relaxed and laidback attitude and also the beauty. Its difficult to explain, without giving you our entire life story but we know that we need a life style change. Alaska has the qualities we are looking for, but we are open minded to other places also. At the moment it is simply an idea that we are looking into.

And i forgot to say that i am fully aware of how expensive Alaska is to live, however the UK at the moment is also rediculously expensive where i live and i know it will not be much different in day to day expenses compared to what we pay now. We plan to grow our own veg etc, and to hunt and fish also so will probably save money. The UK is not a cheap place to live at the moment.

Once again thank you for all your help.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 12:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

And i forgot to say that i am fully aware of how expensive Alaska is to live, however the UK at the moment is also rediculously expensive where i live and i know it will not be much different in day to day expenses compared to what we pay now.
According to Numbeo, Anchorage is 66.12% more expensive for groceries than London. I think your definition of 'ridiculously expensive' might be about to change.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

haha from what i have read from people that live there, the prices are not much different from what i currently pay for my weekly shop. Also i would own my own home, the private schools are less than what i currently pay and the tax is less. Overall the cost of living for me probably will not be much different, but i am hoping the quality of life will.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.