To move or not to move

Old Jun 11th 2017, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

sjpageuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To move or not to move

OK so this is my first time actually talking about this to anyone other than my partner.
Been thinking about moving to florida for about 3 years not me and my partner (not married) have been together for 7 years I'm 23 and he's 25. I fell in love with the place and have been going on holiday there for the past 4 years. I don't underestimate how hard it is to move over there. But can I have some advice on the process and what I need to be doing. I have 2 qualifications I am a fully qualified hairdresser (NVQ) and a fully qualified teaching assistant (QCF) are these qualifications something that would hold over job wise?
Thank you in advance

Sjpageuk
Old Jun 11th 2017, 1:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To move or not to move

Your qualifications will not be recognized in the US, but that is the least of your problems because those occupations don't qualify you for a visa that would allow you to live and work in the US, and nothing you have posted suggests you have any way to come to the US as anything other than a visitor.

I would also point out that your "partner" wouldn't be able to come with you unless (i) you are married, or (ii) your partner has his/her own work visa.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

sjpageuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Your qualifications will not be recognized in the US, but that is the least of your problems because those occupations don't qualify you for a visa that would allow you to live and work in the US, and nothing you have posted suggests you have any way to come to the US as anything other than a visitor.

I would also point out that your "partner" wouldn't be able to come with you unless (i) you are married, or (ii) your partner has his/her own work visa.

So I don't stand a chance at all then? I mean it's not that I've looked into it yet but I don't understand what qualifications are recognised

Thanks
Old Jun 11th 2017, 1:44 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sjpageuk
So I don't stand a chance at all then? I mean it's not that I've looked into it yet but I don't understand what qualifications are recognised

Thanks
Have a very careful read of this from the BE Wiki, but usually unless you have a degree, then there is very little chance.

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki
Old Jun 11th 2017, 1:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So I don't stand a chance at all then? ....
Based on what you have posted, "no". .... Literally none whatsoever.

The US is extraordinarily hard to immigrate to, even if, for example, you are an experienced computer engineer, lawyer, fully qualified nurse, etc, and being a hairdresser or assistant teacher simply doesn't put you on the ladder at all. To be clear work visas are only available for high skill technical jobs which require a degree, and even then they are very difficult to obtain and severely rationed.

What does your "partner" do?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 11th 2017 at 2:59 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

JPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond repute

OK so this is my first time actually talking about this to anyone other than my partner.
Been thinking about moving to florida for about 3 years not me and my partner (not married) have been together for 7 years I'm 23 and he's 25. I fell in love with the place and have been going on holiday there for the past 4 years. I don't underestimate how hard it is to move over there. But can I have some advice on the process and what I need to be doing. I have 2 qualifications I am a fully qualified hairdresser (NVQ) and a fully qualified teaching assistant (QCF) are these qualifications something that would hold over job wise?
Thank you in advance

Sjpageuk
Nothing you have said suggests that you could qualify for a Visa at this point. Your qualifications will not translate in the US but those are not occupations that would enable you to get a Visa in any event.

I don't like to make assumptions but given your age and occupation(s), I doubt that you have the savings/funds for your only somewhat viable route into the US which would be an Investment Based Visa (E2) which would require you to buy a business. The cost of this route would be significant and unless you were married you would each need to buy a business and get a Visa in your own right.

For the vast majority of people, living in the US is and will remain "the dream" with no viability. If you happen to have $300,000+ lying around, then look into the E2 visa
Old Jun 11th 2017, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Been thinking about moving to florida for about 3 years...
You will need to think about it some more - because, from what you've written, you will not be moving to the US any time soon.

I'm 23 and he's 25.
Make this a long-term plan, and you might have a chance - but you'll probably need to get married if one of you wants to get a derivative visa from the other.

I fell in love with the place and have been going on holiday there for the past 4 years.
Have you travelled all over Florida... or have you only been to see the Mouse? Florida, on its own, is 70% as large as the entire UK... so there is a lot of real estate to consider.

I don't underestimate how hard it is to move over there.
With respect, I think that you have completely underestimated it.

Ian
Old Jun 11th 2017, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Using the title of your thread, the simple answer is 'not to move'!
Old Jun 11th 2017, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I assume that neither of you are US Citizens?
Old Jun 11th 2017, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, nothing more than a dream, and that's all it'll ever be, but quite frankly, from your OP, think yourself lucky that's all it is!

There is no evidence that you've done any more than some visits as a tourist, most probably to the House of Mouse. This would make it one of the worst places in America to actually make a home and live in.

How much time have you spent with people who are either paid a wage to smile and be nice to you or are hoping to get a tip? While in Florida, how many times have you been 'reminded' that tipping is required? Have you even looked into healthcare or any of the other million and one things that are totally different to the UK?

Earning enough to live on rather than using the money you saved in you tip jar at work? Two VERY different propositions!

As for qualifications, you essentially have none. The NVQ is barely recognized in the UK, so what makes you think America employers would fall over themselves for a hairdresser with a piece of paper? "Cosmetologists" are two-a-penny here and, add the fact that if it WAS possible, an employer would have to invest thousands and wait months for a visa to be approved and for you to move over here. Do you really think that's going to happen?

Realistically, you have zero chance of moving here and, TBH, it's the best thing for you. Keep it as a dream and the magic never dies. Try and live it, and it soon becomes a nightmare!
Old Jun 11th 2017, 3:04 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

What is about Florida, specifically the small part you have seen (in a few 2-week holidays there's no way you've seen the whole of Florida) that makes you want to live there? No doubt you have been in the very touristy parts such as Orlando or the beach resorts. The people you have seen there were also on holiday. I always find it amusing when people return from a package holiday to Disney or some other touristy part of Florida and say they "love the American lifestyle". You didn't even see it. You saw other people enjoying their holidays - the vast majority of whom don't live in Florida either, or even the USA. That's not how we live here. What you saw and experienced bears no resemblance to what life is like here. No doubt you had nice accommodation, rented a brand new vehicle from Alamo or similar, ate out almost every day and went to theme parks. What you spent in 2 weeks took you 12 months to save. The jobs you are talking about are not much more than minimum wage jobs. On those wages here you would not be eating out every day, driving a new car, living in a villa with a pool (maintained for you by a handsome pool guy), and no foreign holidays like you have now. You would be barely scraping by with very little annual leave (my husband's employer gives zero annual leave in the first year) to enjoy the few dollars that you might be able to scrimp and save after you have been financially crippled by healthcare and other expenses. I have found only one major thing to be cheaper living here than the U.K. - petrol. But I use so much more of it here that there is no real saving. Everything else that matters is more expensive.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
.... Everything else that matters is more expensive.
Let's start with health insurance, starting, if you're lucky, at $500/person/mth, and that doesn't cover all healthcare expenses, so add another $300-$2,000 per annum per person, or more, on top of the insurance premiums.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

jellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
What is about Florida, specifically the small part you have seen (in a few 2-week holidays there's no way you've seen the whole of Florida) that makes you want to live there? No doubt you have been in the very touristy parts such as Orlando or the beach resorts. The people you have seen there were also on holiday. I always find it amusing when people return from a package holiday to Disney or some other touristy part of Florida and say they "love the American lifestyle". You didn't even see it. You saw other people enjoying their holidays - the vast majority of whom don't live in Florida either, or even the USA. That's not how we live here. What you saw and experienced bears no resemblance to what life is like here. No doubt you had nice accommodation, rented a brand new vehicle from Alamo or similar, ate out almost every day and went to theme parks. What you spent in 2 weeks took you 12 months to save. The jobs you are talking about are not much more than minimum wage jobs. On those wages here you would not be eating out every day, driving a new car, living in a villa with a pool (maintained for you by a handsome pool guy), and no foreign holidays like you have now. You would be barely scraping by with very little annual leave (my husband's employer gives zero annual leave in the first year) to enjoy the few dollars that you might be able to scrimp and save after you have been financially crippled by healthcare and other expenses. I have found only one major thing to be cheaper living here than the U.K. - petrol. But I use so much more of it here that there is no real saving. Everything else that matters is more expensive.
Have to say I agree with all of this and more! I currently live in Florida - it is expensive, everyone wants your money, the people from everyday life are definitely not what you would experience in main tourist areas, I have NEVER seen so many churches in one place, the weather is not always great, the bugs are downright annoying, the driving is hideous and american way of life is very different to what you are probably expecting

Work hard and use that money to enjoy lots of travelling holidays instead, its much more fun!
Old Jun 11th 2017, 9:41 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jellybean_17
it is expensive, everyone wants your money, the people from everyday life are definitely not what you would experience in main tourist areas, I have NEVER seen so many churches in one place, the weather is not always great, the bugs are downright annoying, the driving is hideous and american way of life is very different to what you are probably expecting
This is a good description of everywhere south of the Mason-Dixon line
Old Jun 12th 2017, 3:49 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose technically the OP could open a hairdresser's shop and do E-2 and if she was married her husband would have an open EAD so could do any type of work, but really not the smartest move.

Why anyone would move to the US from the UK given the current exchange rate and the total healthcare disaster going on currently is totally beyond me. "From the frying pan into the fire" comes to mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.