Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Mother US Citizen with British children - visa needed?

Mother US Citizen with British children - visa needed?

Old Nov 27th 2009, 3:59 am
Just Joined

usukmum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mother US Citizen with British children - visa needed?

Hi,
Can anybody tell me whether I (I have an American passport, was born in the US, but have since not lived there) can move to the US with my two daughters (aged 14 and 16) who are British passport holders without having to apply for visas for them?
Actually, does anybody know whether I have all the rights of a US citizen seeing as I've never been a resident?
Would appreciate any insight - many thanks,
Laura
Old Nov 27th 2009, 4:08 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mother US Citizen with British children - visa needed?

Originally Posted by usukmum
Hi,
Can anybody tell me whether I (I have an American passport, was born in the US, but have since not lived there) can move to the US with my two daughters (aged 14 and 16) who are British passport holders without having to apply for visas for them?
Actually, does anybody know whether I have all the rights of a US citizen seeing as I've never been a resident?
Would appreciate any insight - many thanks,
Laura
You need to apply for immigrant visas for them if you have not lived long enough in the US to pass on citizenship. Provided you get them here before they turn 18, they become permanent residents and, simultaneously, then US citizens when they enter for the first time on this visa.

File the I-130s directly at the consulate. It'll take around 6 months to get them provided your ducks are in a row
Old Nov 27th 2009, 4:21 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by usukmum
As UK citizens, they can visit the US for 90-days without a visa on the Visa Waiver Program. They should complete ESTA online, but I don't foresee any problems unless they've had a run in with the police.

To move to the US, you will need to file an I-130 for each of them, along with an I-864W. The forms are at www.uscis.gov. Once they get the immigrant visas, they will immediately become US citizens the day they enter the US - as long as they enter before they turn 18... but it only takes 6 months or so to get the visas.

Yes - you have all the rights (and responsibilities) of US citizenship even if you've never been resident. This includes, by the way, filing a US income tax return each year, whether or not you've had any US income. By law, US citizens are required to file a return each year regardless of where they live. You will likely not have to pay any tax (you can thank the US/UK tax treaty for that), but you are obligated to file a return.

Ian
Old Nov 27th 2009, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

usukmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much - now I have a plan! The internet sites are great, but sometimes TOO much information; you get lost in it! Didn't know that the girls would be entitled to US citizenship upon entry, that's very cool.
Many, many thanks to you both for the effort.
All the best,
Laura