Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

More regarding L1 to H1 - another question

More regarding L1 to H1 - another question

Old Mar 7th 2012, 8:54 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More regarding L1 to H1 - another question

Originally Posted by NSBlake
No I haven't - so I will google "B2" (I thought you could only transfer L1 to H1)

This is why these forums are so useful!
The forum is great for these kind of things, this is the reply that was posted in the thread about our situation. Hope it helps a bit.

Sorry, I meant a B2. They usually issue them as a dual B1/B2. We applied from here and have no ties to the UK. It was considered a change of status to allow you time tidy up your affairs.
We listed our reasons as to why we needed time, eg selling house, cars, legal action against employer, getting dog ready to emmigrate etc plus bank statements. It worked and gave us the time to take it all in and come up with a plan. Lots of people (according to our lawyer) do it and are succesful if you put forward a good case.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by N1cky
The forum is great for these kind of things, this is the reply that was posted in the thread about our situation. Hope it helps a bit.

Sorry, I meant a B2. They usually issue them as a dual B1/B2. We applied from here and have no ties to the UK. It was considered a change of status to allow you time tidy up your affairs.
We listed our reasons as to why we needed time, eg selling house, cars, legal action against employer, getting dog ready to emmigrate etc plus bank statements. It worked and gave us the time to take it all in and come up with a plan. Lots of people (according to our lawyer) do it and are succesful if you put forward a good case.
Thankyou so much - very useful! It makes sense that you need time to sort things out and you may be offered a job where they will sponsor your H1.........;-)
Old Mar 8th 2012, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all

Talk to a lawyer ASAP. Not sure of your situation but our Green Cards were done in around 90 days on a L1A. I am sure a competent lawyer can help you with arranging the structure of payment for the Green Cards though your company.

Its worth a shot as Green Cards make it a completely different game....

Good luck
Old Mar 8th 2012, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by digbydog
Talk to a lawyer ASAP. Not sure of your situation but our Green Cards were done in around 90 days on a L1A. I am sure a competent lawyer can help you with arranging the structure of payment for the Green Cards though your company.

Its worth a shot as Green Cards make it a completely different game....

Good luck
This is a good idea - I have since learned that a package will be offered to lessen the blow in addition to the cost of getting us home.

I'm thinking about saying to them - sponsor the GC as this would be less than the cost of the flights home & shipping of my goods and give me the package.

The above would save them money.....going to ask HR (I have a good relationship with them) to put me in contact with their lawyers to advise re time.

Now aopther question is - if the GC doesn't come through by the time I leave this position (I'm assuming my L1 is cancelled immediately when I leave work) - can I stay here whilst the GC is being processed?

Last edited by NSBlake; Mar 8th 2012 at 6:19 pm. Reason: Can't spell.......
Old Mar 8th 2012, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all

If it was me I would make the call to the lawyer today and get this moving.