Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Missing immunisation card - test for DV/immigrant visas?

Missing immunisation card - test for DV/immigrant visas?

Old Sep 18th 2009, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

msfi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Missing immunisation card - test for DV/immigrant visas?

Making some early preparations in the hope of receiving a second notification letter for the green card lottery (2010 winner). Basically I want to have all the information to hand so I'm not rushing at the end to get everything together!

I recently moved to the UK from Australia. My mother no longer has my immunisation record (I will ask her to search again, but don't like the odds). The list of required immunizations for immigrant visas is here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...info_1331.html including many that I would have had in childhood.

I have read before that there is a way to just get a blood test to prove immunization for most things, and then get shots for the rest (like flu).

How long might this process take?

Do I need to wait for the interview to be scheduled to do all of that?

Thanks!
Old Sep 18th 2009, 1:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Missing immunisation card - test for DV/immigrant visas?

Originally Posted by msfi
I have read before that there is a way to just get a blood test to prove immunization for most things, and then get shots for the rest (like flu).

How long might this process take?

Do I need to wait for the interview to be scheduled to do all of that?

Thanks!
Yes, there is a test they can do to determine what immunizations you've had and what you still might need.

I don't know how long it takes, but I imagine not too long.

You can get the immunizations done ahead of time, but you will need to wait until you get notice to proceed with the medical performed by Knightsbridge doctors in London.

Rene
Old Sep 18th 2009, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for the quick reply, looks like I'll be off to see my GP in a couple of months to find out what shots I need.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 6:13 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

might be worth waiting til the medical. They make some assumptions about what you would have had as a child - so would likely not give you every single shot again. Might be worth seeing what the docs says and then if its just a couple (like tetnus and mmr most likely) - they can do them on the spot and its allsigned off as part of the medical.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Great tip, thanks! It should only be Hepatatis B and the other flu shot (I'm planning on getting the seasonal shot this year anyway).
Old Sep 21st 2009, 10:38 pm
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

The Doctor that you go to your medical for will know all about what you need. They will give you anything you need as part of the immigration medical so I would not worry about it too much. Good luck with the second letter! what range is your case # in?
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by starky
The Doctor that you go to your medical for will know all about what you need. They will give you anything you need as part of the immigration medical so I would not worry about it too much. Good luck with the second letter! what range is your case # in?
Thanks! I'm Oceania, 7XX so not waiting on a second letter anytime soon but my how the months slip past...
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 10:29 am
Wishful thinking...

radion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to behold

Thanks! I'm Oceania, 7XX so not waiting on a second letter anytime soon but my how the months slip past...
Interesting this, I have the same problems, being from Australia too many years ago, no records and trying to sort out now what I need to get.
I'm going for MMR as we have no record of this, Varicella(chicken pox) and Tetanus as mine run out 1999 checking last week.

Also did you know that you will need 2 shots of Varicella, your first then the second within four weeks I have been told by my GP.
On the MMR front you will be given the default Vac for that, if you have already been treated it wont affect you at all.
So welcome to you and congrats on being a DV winner like me. My case No is 6xx so you may hear about a second letter in march time.
I hopefully will hear around Feb. time with mine.
I would fly in the face of the above and dont wait until your medical, get it done and sorted and out the way now so you can tick that box off, so to speak...laters
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by radion
Also did you know that you will need 2 shots of Varicella, your first then the second within four weeks I have been told by my GP.
On the MMR front you will be given the default Vac for that, if you have already been treated it wont affect you at all.
So welcome to you and congrats on being a DV winner like me. My case No is 6xx so you may hear about a second letter in march time.
I hopefully will hear around Feb. time with mine.
I would fly in the face of the above and dont wait until your medical, get it done and sorted and out the way now so you can tick that box off, so to speak...laters
Varicella? Even if you've had chicken pox? My husband hasn't, he'll be thrilled.

Fingers crossed for you too, exciting times!
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 10:07 am
Wishful thinking...

radion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to behold

Varicella? Even if you've had chicken pox? My husband hasn't, he'll be thrilled.

Fingers crossed for you too, exciting times!
Yep...
Even if you have had it, so as to complete your Vac's paperwork.
I've been quoted £27.50 per shot of Varicella, sorting out the MMR stuff, hopefully go for blood test to see, depending on costs, Tetanus will be free
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by radion
Yep...
Even if you have had it, so as to complete your Vac's paperwork.
I've been quoted £27.50 per shot of Varicella, sorting out the MMR stuff, hopefully go for blood test to see, depending on costs, Tetanus will be free

Nope.

Ask for a titre, which is a blood test that looks at which antibodies you have.

I had chicken pox as a kid, didn't need varicella vax. Had rubella shot as a kid - still immune. Had measles shot as a kid and this disease in early adulthood - still immune. Never received a mumps shot - too old - but turns out I'd unknowlingly been exposed/had the disease - no MMR/booster required.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 10:21 am
Wishful thinking...

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Nope.

Ask for a titre, which is a blood test that looks at which antibodies you have.

I had chicken pox as a kid, didn't need varicella vax. Had rubella shot as a kid - still immune. Had measles shot as a kid and this disease in early adulthood - still immune. Never received a mumps shot - too old - but turns out I'd unknowlingly been exposed/had the disease - no MMR/booster required.
Cheers Doc,
Yeh will do, asked nurse about it yesterday and she wasn't sure about it, seems I'm a first to ask for this stuff..cheers again
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:53 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
might be worth waiting til the medical. They make some assumptions about what you would have had as a child - so would likely not give you every single shot again. Might be worth seeing what the docs says and then if its just a couple (like tetnus and mmr most likely) - they can do them on the spot and its allsigned off as part of the medical.
I presumed this too when I went for my GC medical......
Doc I saw insisted that I have everything as I didn't have my old records (neither did my wife and all they asked her to do was tetanus jab IIRC)

Was I sore. The place I went too for the jabs did them all at once
Old Sep 28th 2009, 2:34 pm
Wishful thinking...

This seems to be a real shock for my surgery here in Newquay.
I have asked for the above and still they have little idea what to do.
So I have gone to the microbiology dept at my local hospital about it to be told that I can be checked for chickenpox as one test and MMR strains as another test, two charges of course.
So its £29.19 for the Chickenpox test and still waiting for the MMR test costs to come in for that.
Then strangely I asked what my wife has got on her records as requested last week, the answer" Arrr yes you did say your wife didn't you, I haven't looked at her records yet....DOH
Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

If you're going to need Hep B vaccination, start soon - it takes 6 months for the whole series.

The blood test (titres) should be fairly immediate to give you levels of various immunities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.