Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Mis-lead by immigration consultant!!!

Wikiposts

Mis-lead by immigration consultant!!!

Old Apr 4th 2003, 5:01 am
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold
Default Mis-lead by immigration consultant!!!

I don't know if anyone will be able to help me with this one!
My wife and I were married in North Carolina on Feb12th. In order to ensure that we got through the immigration process safely we went to see an immigration consultant.
At the time of the consultation we made it clear that I had to return to England to work my notice and tie up loose ends and mentioned the K-3 visa. He said it wasn't neccesary and filed the I-130. He told me to sell up, quit my job and get back to the US as soon as possible, then he would file for adjustment of status. I did as he said but recently found out I can't return due to the I-130 pending! In a few weeks I'll be unemployed and homeless!
Is there anyone we can contact to help us expediate the whole process because of this situation? And more to the point can anyone direct us to someone who can help us take legal action against this man?
Please help as at the moment it seems we're going round in circles and no-one seems to know anything!
Old Apr 4th 2003, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mis-lead by immigration consultant!!!

Originally posted by RoB1833
I don't know if anyone will be able to help me with this one!
My wife and I were married in North Carolina on Feb12th. In order to ensure that we got through the immigration process safely we went to see an immigration consultant.
At the time of the consultation we made it clear that I had to return to England to work my notice and tie up loose ends and mentioned the K-3 visa. He said it wasn't neccesary and filed the I-130. He told me to sell up, quit my job and get back to the US as soon as possible, then he would file for adjustment of status. I did as he said but recently found out I can't return due to the I-130 pending! In a few weeks I'll be unemployed and homeless!
Is there anyone we can contact to help us expediate the whole process because of this situation? And more to the point can anyone direct us to someone who can help us take legal action against this man?
Please help as at the moment it seems we're going round in circles and no-one seems to know anything!
If the person is a licensed attorney in the state you did business with him in, contact the State Bar and report him. Other than that and an affirmative lawsuit against him for either malpractice (if a licensed attorney) or practicing law without a license (if it qualifies as such under the applicable state law) I'm not sure what remedy you have.

It doesn't solve the ultimate problem though. INS does not have to accomodate this situation, unfortunately, even if you received bad advice. Others on the board may have guidance on that issue.

Sorry to hear of your troubles and hoping things sort soon.
Old Apr 4th 2003, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

anggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really nice

hi rob..
well this sounds serious to me... well maybe you can call lawyer? i assume that immigration consultant isnt a lawyer...

excuse me i want to ask something from you... where did you get married in NC? church or courthouse? and how was it? i live in NC too and we are planning a wedding soon.. still dont know where, perhaps NC or Tenneessee. so i am still looking for some info about NC wedding info.... thank you!

anggraeni
Old Apr 4th 2003, 5:38 am
Professional Mover

RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

We got married in the local court house in Sanford, NC. It was a quiet wedding. It wasn't about the location, it was about the two of us wanting to be together forever.....
Old Apr 4th 2003, 5:45 am
Andy Platt

Typical. Probably the better thing would have been for you to file to adjust
status (though without knowing other details I couldn't say for sure) and
get advance parole. However, if you were thinking K-3 in any case, I'm not
sure any damage has been done. The I-130 would have had to be filed, and an
NOA received, before the I-129F could be filed for the start of the K-3.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.
"RoB1833" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I don't know if anyone will be able to help me with this one!
    > My wife and I were married in North Carolina on Feb12th. In order to
    > ensure that we got through the immigration process safely we went to see
    > an immigration consultant.
    > At the time of the consultation we made it clear that I had to return to
    > England to work my notice and tie up loose ends and mentioned the K-3
    > visa. He said it wasn't neccesary and filed the I-130. He told me to
    > sell up, quit my job and get back to the US as soon as possible, then he
    > would file for adjustment of status. I did as he said but recently found
    > out I can't return due to the I-130 pending! In a few weeks I'll be
    > unemployed and homeless!
    > Is there anyone we can contact to help us expediate the whole process
    > because of this situation? And more to the point can anyone direct us to
    > someone who can help us take legal action against this man?
    > Please help as at the moment it seems we're going round in circles and
    > no-one seems to know anything!
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 4th 2003, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

anggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really niceanggraeni is just really nice

thanks rob... hmmm i have to find one near high point-greensboro...

have a nice day!
anggraeni
Old Apr 5th 2003, 4:59 am
Alf

"RoB1833" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > At the time of the consultation we made it clear that I had to return to
    > England to work my notice and tie up loose ends and mentioned the K-3
    > visa. He said it wasn't neccesary and filed the I-130. He told me to
    > sell up, quit my job and get back to the US as soon as possible, then he
    > would file for adjustment of status. I did as he said but recently found
    > out I can't return due to the I-130 pending! In a few weeks I'll be
    > unemployed and homeless!

Are you already in UK or still in the US?

Old Apr 5th 2003, 5:28 am
Professional Mover

I'm already back in the UK..... I now know about the other process whereby you can stay and apply for adjustment of status. I've heard that by staying in the US and filing for it there can end up with long delays to having a work permit issued.
Old Apr 5th 2003, 12:36 pm
Steve Hubbard

Sorry to hear of your plight...I think somewhere in the fineprint it
says "do not quit your job or make any arrangements for travel until a
visa has been approved and issued"....if this guy is an attorney you've
got grounds for a lawsuit that someday could be quite valuable...a good
lesson for anyone thinking about making plans before "the bird is in the
hand"...best wishes and hope all works out for you....