Minor Overstaying VWP

Old Mar 15th 2011, 3:37 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minor Overstaying VWP

Originally Posted by dwhittles
Once again this forum proves to be a waste time. Thank you for your input.
Au contraire. This forum has told you ad nauseum that forcing your minor children to overstay their VWP and thereby severely limiting their US travel options in the future, through no fault of their own, is a. Bad. Idea.

You may find that advice to be a waste of time, but I doubt your children would.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 3:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It would seem reasonable to assume the Lawyer said the same thing. Not what was wanted.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Probably. But at the end of the day, he is going to do what he wants to do anyway - regardless of the consequences. Will it affect my life in any way that his kids may not be able to visit the US in the future? Not in the slightest. So in the words of Rhett Butler: "Frankly my Dear, I don't give a damn.". You can lead a horse to water, etc. etc.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

By doing this, is he not himself breaking some immigration laws by forcing his kids, against their will, to violate the VWP?
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

janette is on a distinguished road

It would worry me severely that the L1 might not be approved automatically at the interview. I'm sure examples could be found on forums if you wanted to look - I have certainly seen them! Just because it has been approved by USCIS doesn't mean it will get through wihout hitch at the interview stage, and what would then happen to the overstay issue? The children could not be shown to enter with or after the visa holder if they are already there, and how could they leave without their passports ? - they could be held for some time at the Embassy, possibly months. While we would never consider putting children in this situation, nobody can tell the OP what to do, but if it was my husband thinking of making this decision, there would be more than a few choice words.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:58 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Either the OP's a troll or he simply doesn't give a toss about scuppering his children's potential for travel in the future (nice guy). Either way I don't think he can be educated any further on here and trying to do so is a waste of everyone's time.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dwhittles
Once again this forum proves to be a waste time. Thank you for your input.
What did you want to hear? If you want every possible conceivable outcome it will range from your kids will never be admitted to the US again to nothing other than what you already know. It's also theoretically possibly that YOU will not be admitted back into the US (even with a visa) the agent at the boarder may think you will violate the terms of your visa if they pick up on the fact you willing left your kids in the US knowing that they would overstay. The big unknown is that immigration rules change and I would put money on your kids not knowing that they overstayed the VWP when they are older and then they could really screw themselves.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tonrob
Either the OP's a troll or he simply doesn't give a toss about scuppering his children's potential for travel in the future (nice guy). Either way I don't think he can be educated any further on here and trying to do so is a waste of everyone's time.
+1

It always makes me laugh when people come to this forum asking for advice, and they're given good advice but it wasn't what they wanted to hear so they automatically assume everyone here is stupid. What a way to say "thanks"!

At the end of the day, OP can do what he likes. He can't say he hasn't been warned! Also, his attorney has most likely told him the exact same thing regarding leaving the kids in the US and forcing them to overstay the VWP, and he wasn't happy with the advice given so he came here trying to get someone to tell him his plan (a dangerous one, at that) was all fine and dandy.

Flying long-haul with kids probably isn't much fun but you'd think a responsible parent would rather do that than subject their kids to all kinds of problems down the line. As others have said, they won't exactly thank him when they're not allowed to use the VWP ever again.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 2:22 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 15th 2011, 2:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

OP has consulted with an immigration attorney, and has consulted this forum twice now. He's gotten all the answers he's going to get.

Thread Closed.

Rene