Migration Options to USA

Old Sep 12th 2013, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

jgraham95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Migration Options to USA

Hello and apologies in advance if this seems to be a recurring thread, but browsing the forum among other places have proven little help thus far.

I’m looking into options on Migrating over to the USA. I’ve had a burning passion to migrate since my early teens and upon coming up to my 30th birthday I decided upon trying to bring my dream to reality.

I am currently an IT professional in the Networking / Security sector with a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Security and Forensics. I have 1 year work experience and 7 years theoretical experience and work for a multi-national company.

I have already approached my employer with my desires of moving who regrettably turned round and said there were no vacancies fitting my current role so were unable to sponsor me.

I am looking for advice and options on how to migrate over to fresher pastures along with people’s experience of the process.

I am under no illusions that the options seem to be limited, however I find the official government sources to be somewhat confusing in gathering the information I require.

I greatly appreciate any information and advice anyone has to offer.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 7:05 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migration Options to USA

to BE.

Have a read through this:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Ultimately your best option seems to be an H1B, which would involve finding a company to sponsor you for a visa. It must be said though that the IT sector is not exactly short of professionals, so you will need to bring something pretty special to the table in order to convince them to spend the circa. $5k that it costs to sponsor you for a visa.

Also note that the H1B is not an immigrant visa, nor would it allow your spouse (if you have one) to work.

Perhaps the long term plan should be to wait and see if your employer may have vacancies in the future.

Last edited by civilservant; Sep 12th 2013 at 7:09 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 7:53 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jgraham95
I have 1 year work experience and 7 years theoretical experience and work for a multi-national company.
What is "theoretical experience"?
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

H1B tough sell without a lot of experience and having a good network of people to help you as there are a lot of IT people here who can work straight off without the additional cost/hassle.

If you found someone willing, they couldn't apply till next April for a Oct 2014 start.

The best option is a company transfer and if your current place can't/won't then you either wait it out till they can/do, or you risk finding another job and hope they can help, but would take another year.

That or invest buckets of money, or short term, go and study in the US.

Grass isn't any greener over here mind, just a different shade of manky.

Still good luck!
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

" just a different shade of manky"

Perfect!

(Anyway, check out Dice.com for jobs and employment forums.)
Old Sep 12th 2013, 11:59 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently an IT professional in the Networking / Security sector with a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Security and Forensics. I have 1 year work experience and 7 years theoretical experience and work for a multi-national company.
I'd say no chance, the Indian IT outsourcing companies hoover up all the H-1Bs and IT systems is in decline also because of all the outsourcing, moving to the cloud and so on.

Too late for an IEC visa for Canada as well as the quota is exhausted and you've hit the age limit.

Even the Indians are going local because of the restrictions: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=808201

Stay where you are and get more experience and transfer later on L-1B seems like your best bet.

Being in forensics is helpful, but those are usually police jobs and you have to be a US citizen to get into policing. You might find a company in Canada though that will sponsor you for a TWP because I know there is a demand for computer forensics people here.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, being in IT I think gives you a better chance than most people. Here in the Boston area at least, I know that companies are having a hard time hiring software engineers because they are in such high demand these days.

- Eric S.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 7:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have already approached my employer with my desires of moving who regrettably turned round and said there were no vacancies fitting my current role so were unable to sponsor me.
Does not have to hit your current role, your qualifications need to be relevant.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you concentrate on the forensic aspects of your training and experience - because IT security, on its own, will be a waste of time for you. But forensics... well, that's more of a niche - and it'll get you farther!

You might want to look at university-based forensic labs... there's usually a need for folks who understand computer forensics; and, a university position would be exempt from the H-1B quota.

Ian
Old Sep 16th 2013, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Hello and apologies in advance if this seems to be a recurring thread, but browsing the forum among other places have proven little help thus far.

I’m looking into options on Migrating over to the USA. I’ve had a burning passion to migrate since my early teens and upon coming up to my 30th birthday I decided upon trying to bring my dream to reality.

I am looking for advice and options on how to migrate over to fresher pastures along with people’s experience of the process.

I am under no illusions that the options seem to be limited, however I find the official government sources to be somewhat confusing in gathering the information I require.

I greatly appreciate any information and advice anyone has to offer.
The best way, if not being transferred, is to come to the city you are most interested in living in and apply for jobs whilst on holiday. Employers/agencies are usually unwilling to deal with anyone outside the US and who doesn't have a visa and you'll still have a problem finding someone willing to sponsor and then wait for you. You are allowed to attend interviews but you can't sign anything. You would then have to wait for an H1-B unless you qualify for another visa type - a consult with a decent immigration attorney might be helpful.

Whilst there are large numbers of IT workers they don't all want to move around to get work so some places have an abundance of skill whilst others need more people. Cities with large business centers are more likely to need more workers.

Ok, so the other way is to meet and marry and American girl. Bit extreme, perhaps...

Or come to a sanctuary state like CA where they'll even give illegals a driving licence. (okay, okay, wrong thread but it is very annoying).
Old Sep 16th 2013, 7:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markwm
.... OK, so the other way is to meet and marry and American girl. Bit extreme, perhaps. ....
Not necessarily, it's why many of us are here!
Old Sep 16th 2013, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Not necessarily, it's why many of us are here!
LOL: I meant to go out of his way to do so rather than let it happen by chance.

Or is that what you meant? :-)
Old Sep 16th 2013, 8:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

LOL: I meant to go out of his way to do so rather than let it happen by chance.

Or is that what you meant? :-)
I have never seen a survey of how people found their transatlantic soul mate, it may or may not have been coincidental.

There appears to be an established, er, ... market for Russian, Ukrainian, Philippina, etc. women, so it is not unheard of to go looking deliberately for someone of another nationality.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 16th 2013 at 8:29 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 1:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

And Moroccan men...
Old Sep 17th 2013, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Or come to a sanctuary state like CA where they'll even give illegals a driving licence. (okay, okay, wrong thread but it is very annoying).
Sorry California is not one of the states that give driver's license to illegal immigrants but 10 other states do.
Attached Thumbnails Migration Options to USA-2021250612.gif  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.