Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

at the mercy of the beenfits service center

Wikiposts

at the mercy of the beenfits service center

Old May 19th 2004, 2:51 am
Just Joined

Hoolie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default at the mercy of the beenfits service center

Hello all

I entered on a K1 on 12 Feb. I married (my fiance!) on 20 Feb and we filed for AOS and EAD on 5 March. I had my biometrics on 20 Apr.

So far, so good. I now hear that my file has been transferred to the National Service Center. They are currently processing EADs submitted 17 November 2003. There is no date given for AOS apps - I am told to go by local office estimates.

All of this is not in itself a problem, unless anyone else has any negative experiences of what seems like the black hole of processing times. In which case please post.

However it looks like I will need to get my temporary EAD 90 days after filing. I am told the duration of this is entirely at the discretion of the local office, although they can give me a maximum of 120 (helpline operator A) or 240 (helpline operator B) days. So it looks entirely possible that this will expire before I get my 1 year EAD.

Does anybody have any experience of this? I am thinking of getting the EAD and then involving my wife's congressman asap to make sure nothing goes disastrously wrong - I'm strapped enough after three months of not working....

I should mention lastly that our application is sa regular as regular can be - no overstays, all documents provided...

Cheers, and y'all have a nice day now
Old May 19th 2004, 3:01 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: at the mercy of the beenfits service center

Originally posted by Hoolie
Hello all

I entered on a K1 on 12 Feb. I married (my fiance!) on 20 Feb and we filed for AOS and EAD on 5 March. I had my biometrics on 20 Apr.

So far, so good. I now hear that my file has been transferred to the National Service Center. They are currently processing EADs submitted 17 November 2003. There is no date given for AOS apps - I am told to go by local office estimates.

All of this is not in itself a problem, unless anyone else has any negative experiences of what seems like the black hole of processing times. In which case please post.

However it looks like I will need to get my temporary EAD 90 days after filing. I am told the duration of this is entirely at the discretion of the local office, although they can give me a maximum of 120 (helpline operator A) or 240 (helpline operator B) days. So it looks entirely possible that this will expire before I get my 1 year EAD.

Does anybody have any experience of this? I am thinking of getting the EAD and then involving my wife's congressman asap to make sure nothing goes disastrously wrong - I'm strapped enough after three months of not working....

I should mention lastly that our application is sa regular as regular can be - no overstays, all documents provided...

Don't despair. They say they're working on Nov 17th 2003, but apps filed as late as March 2004 are starting to filter through as approved.

Kate. xxxx
Old May 19th 2004, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

Rukhie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: at the mercy of the beenfits service center

Originally posted by Hoolie
Hello all

Hoolie,
We applied for my husband's EAD and AOS in feb (reciept date 02/23/04), and we haven't heard anything about the EAD.
If you read the 'EAD Timeline' posts, you'll find out that people after feb 04 are being approved quickly however the people who applied in feb 04 are not being approved had to resort to intermin EAD's. I'm sure you'll get your 1 year EAD before my husband does. Good Luck!

Rukhie