Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Medical Supplement I-693 and contacting your Senator

Medical Supplement I-693 and contacting your Senator

Old Mar 19th 2003, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

mickyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical Supplement I-693 and contacting your Senator

Howdy from Texas

Firstly has anyone heard of a new medical for K-1's when you get here? I have just been told by my Senators office who have been helping us that i need to get a medical done before my AOS interview, it is called medical Supplement I-693, which i belive means getting more shots.

2nd
If anyone is thinking of contacting there senator i highly recommend it, They have been more than helpfull, Making phone calls to the right poeple at INS and getting us the info we needed, They also printed any forms we needed as we dont have a printer, They also had a meeting with us on tuesday to go through our paper work to make sure we had filled out the forms correctly before we file for AOS. My local Senator is Martin Frost, we found his office by phoning information and asking them, We didnt write as we needed help quickly,so we emailed them then phoned, The person we delt with only handles immagration issues and was very helpfull as i said earler.

well thats all for now
lets hope we are all here tomorrow as things look like they are going to go crazy tonight in iraq.

mickyboy
Old Mar 20th 2003, 2:45 am
Son 5 & Daughter 2 1/2

Pete F is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medical Supplement I-693 and contacting your Senator

Originally posted by mickyboy
Howdy from Texas

Firstly has anyone heard of a new medical for K-1's when you get here? I have just been told by my Senators office who have been helping us that i need to get a medical done before my AOS interview, it is called medical Supplement I-693, which i belive means getting more shots.

mickyboy

Mickeyboy,
If you take a close look at the I485 form's instructions at the bottom of page one and about 1/3rd the way down page 2, it explanins about the medical exam and what happens if you are a K1er.. What the I693A supplement is, is a confirmation by a BCIS approved and recognised doctor that your jabs are up to date and if not, an opportunity for the doctor to top you up. As you have a medical in your home country as a K1er, as long as its within the year, your medical remains valid. Apparently, its in the "mysterious brown envelope" you hand over at the POE. When you file your I485/I765/G325A/I864, you will probably receive a form back from the BCIS with details ov the doctors in your area.. This is also on the BCIS 1-800 number.. Its a little way in to the options, but If memory serves, its in the bit about if you want to order forms or have forms and a question..
Not sure what the fee to the quack is.. I think the whole medical was $125 so the supplement hopefully will be proportionally less.
If you are in the UK.. Then you may be able to get all the Jabs for free under the NHS at your local doctors.. I did in the West mids.. Inc Hep A (which I later found out I didnt need)

Pete
Old Mar 20th 2003, 4:03 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Howdy from Texas

2nd
If anyone is thinking of contacting there senator i highly recommend it, They have been more than helpfull, Making phone calls to the right poeple at INS and getting us the info we needed, They also printed any forms we needed as we dont have a printer, They also had a meeting with us on tuesday to go through our paper work to make sure we had filled out the forms correctly before we file for AOS. My local Senator is Martin Frost, we found his office by phoning information and asking them, We didnt write as we needed help quickly,so we emailed them then phoned, The person we delt with only handles immagration issues and was very helpfull as i said earler.

well thats all for now
lets hope we are all here tomorrow as things look like they are going to go crazy tonight in iraq.

mickyboy
Hi there:

First of all, please note that Mr. Frost is NOT, repeat, NOT, a "senator." He is a member of the house of representatives. [BTW, I wonder if TSC is in his District -- I just looked at his web site].

Each member of congress is different -- I was asked about Senator Feinstein here in California the other day and I noted that California has only two senators but many congresspeople -- you would get better response from the local congressperson if you are from a large state.

Texas is the same.
Old Mar 20th 2003, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

mickyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Folinskyinla

You are right about Martin Frost he is only a congressman, I have only been here since November and I am still a little confused by the US political system.
The fact that his office has been VERY helpfull is the main point
not what position he holds.

mickyboy
Old Mar 20th 2003, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Folinskyinla

You are right about Martin Frost he is only a congressman, I have only been here since November and I am still a little confused by the US political system.
The fact that his office has been VERY helpfull is the main point
not what position he holds.

mickyboy
The important thing is if the Congressperson or, more important, their staff is helpful.

In the American system, there are two Senators from each state but representatives are apportioned by population.

So if you are from a large state such as California, Texas or New York -- your Senators serve such a large constituency, that you will have trouble getting their ears.

But the smaller states, say Nevada have the same two Senators but only one represeantive. In that case, the Senators are often better because there are only a 100 of them as opposed to 435 congresspeople.

If I was asked by someone living in North Hollywood, California as to who they should contact -- I would say forget Senators Feinstein or Boxer, but do contact Congressman Berman -- or more particullarly, Ms. Mott in Berman's office.
Old Mar 20th 2003, 3:29 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pete F
If you are in the UK.. Then you may be able to get all the Jabs for free under the NHS at your local doctors.
Mark just got his vaccinations updated at his local hospital yesterday -- his K-1 interview and medical exam are next Monday. He ended up having to get 3 innoculations: Diptheria/Tetenus, Polio, and MMR. Afterwards, he got a print-out listing what he'd received, including the vaccine batch numbers, which they kindly signed and stamped for him to bring to the medical exam. It didn't cost him a thing.

Had he waited until his K-1 medical exam to get "topped up," it would've cost him 55 quid, or about $83. Now we have that money to put towards something else... like our wedding rings.

Just something for all you K-1ers in the UK to consider...

~ Jenney