Wikiposts

Medical Exam for Residency?

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of
Default Medical Exam for Residency?

Even though I had the full medical/x-ray thing in London prior to being issued the K1 I've now been told that my Conditional Residency is being delayed due to my not having a follow up medical in the US. I phoned around several of the doctors on the list that Immigration here in L.A. gave me and I'm going to have to pay $159 for another medical exam, x-ray and blood test, and another $85 for an MMR jab.

Is this correct, or am I being scammed by the local health care community? I'm a little irritated at having to pay twice for exactly the same thing.

James
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

Jess2100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medical Exam for Residency?

Originally Posted by Dant3
Even though I had the full medical/x-ray thing in London prior to being issued the K1 I've now been told that my Conditional Residency is being delayed due to my not having a follow up medical in the US. I phoned around several of the doctors on the list that Immigration here in L.A. gave me and I'm going to have to pay $159 for another medical exam, x-ray and blood test, and another $85 for an MMR jab.

Is this correct, or am I being scammed by the local health care community? I'm a little irritated at having to pay twice for exactly the same thing.

James
Not sure about your situation, but from what I understand if your medical is a year old, then you need another. I noticed your from the L.A. area, not sure how far your from Artesia, CA but my husband had his medical done there and paid $110.00. He had all of his medical history (at his time of entry into the U.S), and vaccinations. They just did a physical exam, TB test, and blood work..no shots as he is up to date.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 5:27 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Medical Exam for Residency?

James
Hey James

USCIS is extending the validity of the medicals, so you might want to check it out before spending loads of money in a new medical exam, I don't have the link.. but hopefully someone will chime in and enlighten us
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

That is cheap! Here on Long Island I had to pay $250 for the exam, which I thought was a lot. THEN I come to find I have to pay the lab bills too! Another $300!!! Ouch!
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 5:40 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

James
Hi:

Jabs only are needed. But what does the I-72 say? If they ask for it, its sometimes easier to "not fight City Hall" and just give it to them. BTW, make sure you check with the Docs on the West Side and the South SF Valley. The Docs in the hispanic areas tend to be more expensive.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 5:46 am

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Medical Exam for Residency?

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
That is cheap! Here on Long Island I had to pay $250 for the exam, which I thought was a lot. THEN I come to find I have to pay the lab bills too! Another $300!!! Ouch!
550$?? ouch
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 5:47 am

Arrow Re: Medical Exam for Residency?

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

The Docs in the hispanic areas tend to be more expensive.
Why??
Old Aug 24th 2004, 4:43 am
Elly

My husband needed a new medical also. His interview was two years
after his entry in the US on a K1. Here on Long Island it was $250 for
exam plus lab of $80 plus a chicken pox shot of $135. They wanted to
give him the mmr too but I explained to them he was too old for it!!.
He was 60 years old at the time and it is only given to younger
people. They finally agreed he didnt' need it when I pointed to the
birthdate on his chart. The doctor never even looked at his age.

Old Aug 24th 2004, 5:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
Why??
Thats what I thought, in CO they are cheaper.

They did my cert for free, I had the medical for the K1 and then had the missing shots before I came over, also free and I supposed they would be an arm and a leg here.

I have yet to get to AoS so we will see.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 5:24 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

James

Did you not get MMR at first medical? Or does it need periodical redoing?
I know when I recently got my medical here in California I was given copies of all the shots etc and so I have them for any later follow ups I might need.

Total cost here in SF Bay Area was $175 that included Lab work and MMR shots. I shopped around calling as many doctors as I could that were listed on the USCIS site, some were over 20 miles away BUT is worth shopping, the highest quote I got was $450.

Patrick
Old Aug 24th 2004, 5:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by inquisitive40
Did you not get MMR at first medical? Or does it need periodical redoing?
I know when I recently got my medical here in California I was given copies of all the shots etc and so I have them for any later follow ups I might need.

Total cost here in SF Bay Area was $175 that included Lab work and MMR shots. I shopped around calling as many doctors as I could that were listed on the USCIS site, some were over 20 miles away BUT is worth shopping, the highest quote I got was $450.

Patrick
There is an age cut off for MMR, as mentioned, can not remember exactly but I think low 40's
Old Aug 24th 2004, 6:41 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Boiler
There is an age cut off for MMR, as mentioned, can not remember exactly but I think low 40's
MMR is born after 1956 up to the age of 65
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/pdf/Tbl1.pdf

Patrick