Medical Care on a B1/B2 visa

Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

TT_04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical Care on a B1/B2 visa

Hi there

my girlfriend will be travelling on a B1/B2 visa (in case of successful application, *fingers crossed) with me to the States at the end of this year.

While I will be on a E1 visa (in case of successful application, *fingers crossed), I am not sure how the medical care works for my partner on a tourist visa.

Will her annual (365 days) travel insurance be invalid for the time of her B1/B2 visa? If so what other medical covers/insurances could you recommend?

The health system in the USA is not supposed to be the best one out there, is it?!

Many thanks for your advice.
T
Old Aug 13th 2013, 11:18 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Care on a B1/B2 visa

Since she is (technically) a tourist, I suspect that it will be valid. However she needs to check this out with the company, since all policies are different and they could easily use it as an exvcuse not to pay should she need to make a claim.

The health system in the USA is not supposed to be the best one out there, is it?!
It's absolutly world class - IF you can afford it and have good insurance.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant

It's absolutly world class - IF you can afford it and have good insurance.
Can you please elaborate what's world class?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 12:20 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TT_04
If you tell us what her needs will be, we can make an educated guess as to the availability of the needed resources.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 12:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Quality of treatment, availability of the best and latest drugs, surgeries, treatments and other technologies. All are second to none, BUT only available to those who have insurance or the money to pay; treatment is extremely expensive. For example I got a minor scratch on my arm, which became infected and turned into blood poisoning. I was sent to hospital for three nights on an antibiotic drip, with minor skin surgery to clean out the infection. The bill was over $20,000!

Incidental to the quality of treatment, hospitals, local GP surgeries, and other medical buildings are invariably modern and architect/ designer quality with nice decor and wall art, not the 1960's institutional style of many British hospitals. Mrs P was shocked at the antiquated appearance of our GP's surgery when we lived in London, and in fact the vet's surgery where we take our cats here in the US is more modern and in better decorative appearance than our GP's surgery in London!

On the subject of insurance, you should check the small print to see if there is a limit on the number of days coverage in the 365 days, or any limit to how many days in one country. I have seen policies that limit the permitted time in the US, say to 90 days in one year of coverage, because of the expense.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 13th 2013 at 12:31 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Speedwell
If you tell us what her needs will be, we can make an educated guess as to the availability of the needed resources.
I don't think she has special needs. lol

Joking aside, I would think "normal" health insurance, covering for postnatal treatment (we are expecting parents) or any cover in case of an accident.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Quality of treatment, availability of the best and latest drugs, surgeries, treatments and other technologies. All are second to none, BUT only available to those who have insurance or the money to pay; treatment is extremely expensive. For example I got a minor scratch on my arm, which became infected and turned into blood poisoning. I was sent to hospital for three nights on an antibiotic drip, with minor skin surgery to clean out the infection. The bill was over $20,000!
That is insane! Is there any insurance that a) you would recommend and b) that is affordable?

On the subject of insurance, you should check the small print to see if there is a limit on the number of days coverage in the 365 days, or any limit to how many days in one country. I have seen policies that limit the permitted time in the US, say to 90 days in one year of coverage, because of the expense.
That's a very good point. I will check the small print of her holiday/travel insurance tonight.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:47 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Joking aside, I would think "normal" health insurance, covering for postnatal treatment (we are expecting parents) or any cover in case of an accident.
Are you anticipating the birth taking place in the US? Apparently she already has this "pre-existing condition." Then you need to ensure that the insurance she has will cover the pre- and post-natal care, to say nothing of the delivery. Please check very carefully, as this could prove extremely expensive for you both.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Are you anticipating the birth taking place in the US? Apparently she already has this "pre-existing condition." Then you need to ensure that the insurance she has will cover the pre- and post-natal care, to say nothing of the delivery. Please check very carefully, as this could prove extremely expensive for you both.
I would question whether that is even covered by travel insurance? Insurance is designed to cover the risk that something might happen, whereas pregnancy has a certain outcome which is highly predictable in most cases +/- 2 weeks. In other words I doubt a travel insurance policy costing a few £00's is going to cover a predictable medical event that is going to cost $20,000 minimum, and quite possibly a LOT more in the event of complications.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are limits on the duration of individual trips for obvious reasons.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I would question whether that is even covered by travel insurance?
Precisely!
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would question whether that is even covered by travel insurance? Insurance is designed to cover the risk that something might happen, whereas pregnancy has a certain outcome which is highly predictable in most cases +/- 2 weeks. In other words I doubt a travel insurance policy costing a few £00's is going to cover a predictable medical event that is going to cost $20,000 minimum, and quite possibly a LOT more in the event of complications.
It would not, but if you are on holiday and are pregnant early stages and have some complication then it would. Regular check ups etc are not covered.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
It would not, but if you are on holiday and are pregnant early stages and have some complication then it would. Regular check ups etc are not covered.
She's due in 4 weeks time ish, so the babies will be around 3 1/2 months old before travelling to the States at the end of this year.

I have no idea how long postnatal care is needed and what treatments are required though.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:07 pm

She's due in 4 weeks time ish, so the babies will be around 3 1/2 months old before travelling to the States at the end of this year.

I have no idea how long postnatal care is needed and what treatments are required though.
In all honesty, you need to find "normal" medical insurance for mother and babies because I don't see how you can shoehorn that situation into a travel policy.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:12 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Plural?! Time to contemplate marriage, so that you can all be legitimately covered on a family policy! You really don't want to chance things where US health insurance is concerned, especially with new babies who will require regular checkups.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

In all honesty, you need to find "normal" medical insurance for mother and babies because I don't see how you can shoehorn that situation into a travel policy.
Your honesty is very welcome.

The babies will be covered by my private health insurance that my company is paying for.

It's now down to finding a good (AND affordable) health insurance for my GF though. Any recommendations?

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Plural?! Time to contemplate marriage, so that you can all be legitimately covered on a family policy! You really don't want to chance things where US health insurance is concerned, especially with new babies who will require regular checkups.
Yes, twins. And like I said, the babies will be covered (sort of for free).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.