Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

MDUdall: Detroit K-1/AOS'er filing news

MDUdall: Detroit K-1/AOS'er filing news

Old Sep 4th 2002, 6:45 pm
Mdudall

Default MDUdall: Detroit K-1/AOS'er filing news

I just received the AOS questionnaire and supporting materials from one of my
former K-1'er couples who live within the jurisdiction of the Detroit INS office.
They want me to help them prepare their AOS submission for filing with that
particular INS office.

Since many INS offices have stopped allowing in person filing, I though I'd call
Detroit to ask them about a few things. I got right through and spoke with
officer Lin.

He indicated that yes, for the time being they are still allowing people to come in
and file their AOS submissions in person. I then asked if Detroit was still doing
same day adjudication for K-1'ers. He replied that yes, "for a little while longer"
they will be adjudicating them on the day of filing, however "because they are now
getting too many of them" he is coincidentally personally revising the procedures at
the Detroit office (apparently he was given the task of doing this), and soon they
won't be doing this anymore.

Guess I'd better prepare and ship this to the client for a "one-way" trip (instead of
having them sign forms, send it back to me, then my assembly of the finished product
for in person filing). It's a little more complicated to organize it when doing a
"one-way" shipment to a client, but if I can beat the change in procedure at Detroit,
I'm going to do it.

So, for others falling into this situation, better get it while the getting is still
good :-). Good luck with your cases.

Regards, Matthew Udall Attorney

Old Sep 4th 2002, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

ralph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: MDUdall: Detroit K-1/AOS'er filing news

Why are they discontinuing the same day adjudications in Detroit. Is only Detroit being affected or would the other two offices be done for as well?

Has this been a failed project for the INS?

just curious

Originally posted by Mdudall:

He indicated that yes, for the time being they are still allowing people to come in and file their AOS submissions in person. I then asked if Detroit was still doing same day adjudication for K-1'ers. He replied that yes, "for a little while longer" they will be adjudicating them on the day of filing, however "because they are now getting too many of them" he is coincidentally personally revising the procedures at
the Detroit office (apparently he was given the task of doing this), and soon they won't be doing this anymore.

So, for others falling into this situation, better get it while the getting is still
good :-). Good luck with your cases.

Regards, Matthew Udall Attorney
Old Sep 4th 2002, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Harry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: MDUdall: Detroit K-1/AOS'er filing news

Originally posted by ralph:
Why are they discontinuing the same day adjudications in Detroit. Is only Detroit being affected or would the other two offices be done for as well?

Has this been a failed project for the INS?

just curious

Ralph,
I know from first hand experience that Dallas has stopped doing same day AOS for K-1'ers. However, they're still really fast...I had my AOS interview (from K1) a little over 3 months after filing.

-Harry