Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Mailing docs to the INS: delivery confirmation

Wikiposts

Mailing docs to the INS: delivery confirmation

Old Feb 12th 2002, 10:44 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Some of you may be interested to know that you can still get a delivery confirmation
on any regular mail envelope IF the envelope is the LARGE full-page size (like 9X12
inches). You cannot do this with the small business sized enveloopes, however.

All you do to get a delivery confirmation is post it regular at the U.
S. post office and tell them that you also want a delivery confirmation. They can put
the confirmation on the envelope and give you the receipt.

The potential advantage to using delivery confirmation over certified is that no one
has to sign to obtain the envelope. Signing can be an issue sometimes, and it seems
that a few INS offices take their good old sweet time in collecting the mail that
they have to sign for. By using plain delivery confirmation you have evidence that it
was received, but no signing is required on the part of the receiver.

You can use delivery confirmation with regular mail in the large envelopes and with
priority mail. I think it costs an extra $.50 to get a delivery confirmation.

Just a thought,

Alvena

See the Doc Steen site here:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm I am not a lawyer, and this
is not immigration advice. The information I provide is mostly gleaned from old
newsgroup posts and visa links on the internet. If you want or need a lawyer, go to:
http://www.aila.org

Old Feb 13th 2002, 3:00 am
Wesley Newcombe

Just a note to Alvena's comment/suggestion:

I mailed my petition in a large envelope with signature confirmation to the NSC. They
signed it 4 days after mailing but what was interesting was that when I received
signature confirmation back from the USPS, there was no signature on file for the
item but that a T WAY had accepted the package. I am not certain if that meant that T
WAY did not need to sign for the documents or that the signature had been lost. What
was also nice that with the delivery confirmation it stated that my package was
delivered to INS BOX .... That is good proof that your package was delivered and that
a particular person picked up the package!

Just my thoughts and experiences,

Wes