Made it!! :)

Old Apr 6th 2012, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Coopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really nice
Default Made it!! :)

Hi all!

Well I arrived in the US on 27/3/12 and just getting settled. I did have a bit of a worry at Dublin airport with timing which I'll explain.
I had a 90 minute layover at Dublin so went through the Immigration line with my big envelope on display. The immigration officer took my envelope, but when I also gave her the medical cd, she asked what it was and said it wasn't required. Asked me what kind of work I was looking for, who I was living with etc. Took my fingerprints and wished me luck. However she then said I had to go into a waiting area for a "further interview". Heart in throat moment!!
So I was sitting in a small waiting room opposite a desk, which had my envelope in a big "in tray". I think I was the only one going to PR there. Other people kept coming in and were called to the desk because they had tried to take ham sandwiches through!! Now by this time I only had 20 minutes to my flight and was sweating buckets. I would have been livid if I missed my flight all because of another person's ham sandwich!!
(Luckily there was a poor Irish guy on the same flight, who was called there just for having the most common Irish name, and immigration were after someone with the same name and date of birth, we agreed that the first one out would let the flight crew know).
With 15 minutes to go I got called to the desk, it was just to take my fingerprints and signature, get my passport stamped (only noticed then that the first officer hadn't done that) tell me that my Green Card and SSN will arrive "Soon". Asked me if I had any questions (Will I make it to the plane ?) and wished me luck. Made it onto the plane with no problems, and thankfully so did the Irish guy.
One question I did forget to ask was how long it should take for the Green Card/SSN to arrive ? I've seen cases when it has arrived in a couple of weeks to other cases when it has taken months. Is there a certain time limit to when I should be chasing them up if I haven't received them ?

Thanks
Old Apr 6th 2012, 3:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Made it!! :)

Originally Posted by Coopernaut
One question I did forget to ask was how long it should take for the Green Card/SSN to arrive ? I've seen cases when it has arrived in a couple of weeks to other cases when it has taken months. Is there a certain time limit to when I should be chasing them up if I haven't received them ?
Congratulations!

The green card and SS card should arrive in the mail within 4 to 6 weeks. If you don't get the SS card within that time, or if you need the actual number sooner, you can wait about 10 days after your arrival in the USA, and go to your local SS office to ask for your number. You should be in their system by then. Sometimes the box you tick on the form asking for a SSN to be issued ahead of time gets overlooked, so you might even have to apply from scratch at your local office....but wait about 4 to 6 weeks before doing that...you don't want to end up with two SSN's.

Rene
Old Apr 6th 2012, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Coopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really niceCoopernaut is just really nice

Thanks Noorah, much appreciated.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

MrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond repute

I ticked the box Rene mentions, and my SS card arrived 9 days after my arrival. However, this does seem to be quicker than others report - maybe it depends on your POE (and they messed up my name!)

At POE I was told my green card would take up to six months, so can't help you there.

90 mins for your stopover was pretty optimistic, but congratulations!
Old Apr 10th 2012, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Congratulations!

The green card and SS card should arrive in the mail within 4 to 6 weeks. If you don't get the SS card within that time, or if you need the actual number sooner, you can wait about 10 days after your arrival in the USA, and go to your local SS office to ask for your number. You should be in their system by then. Sometimes the box you tick on the form asking for a SSN to be issued ahead of time gets overlooked, so you might even have to apply from scratch at your local office....but wait about 4 to 6 weeks before doing that...you don't want to end up with two SSN's.

Rene
Hey, I arrived in the US about two weeks ago. I ticked the box on the DS-230 requesting a SSN but haven't received anything yet. I was planning on going to the SS office tomorrow to check up on it. Is that a good idea? What information would I need to give them? Or did you mean I because I ticked the box I should wait for 4-6 weeks before contacting them about my number? or 4-6 weeks before going to the office with the forms filled out and applying for a SSN?

Thank you
Old Apr 10th 2012, 11:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Holliver
Hey, I arrived in the US about two weeks ago. I ticked the box on the DS-230 requesting a SSN but haven't received anything yet. I was planning on going to the SS office tomorrow to check up on it. Is that a good idea? What information would I need to give them? Or did you mean I because I ticked the box I should wait for 4-6 weeks before contacting them about my number? or 4-6 weeks before going to the office with the forms filled out and applying for a SSN?

Thank you
According to your other thread, you have a K-1 visa. Therefore, ticking the box did nothing for you. You'll have to go in person to apply for your SSN.

See my answer in your other thread.

Rene
Old Apr 10th 2012, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Noorah101
According to your other thread, you have a K-1 visa. Therefore, ticking the box did nothing for you. You'll have to go in person to apply for your SSN.

See my answer in your other thread.

Rene
OK, haha, I was just about to post that I just came across another post you made in someone else's thread explaining that I would have to apply by myself.

Thanks Rene.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Well I went down to my local office on Friday, but not in system yet