LPR or US citizen?

Old May 10th 2017, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

janeth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nice
Default LPR or US citizen?

My husband is a US citizen and also my older son who's 9. My daughter and myself are LPR. We traveled back to England, I got pregnant and wasn't allowed to fly because I was high risk. We got him his U.K. Passport when he was 4 weeks old and flew back to the states.
Immigration had a few questions but luckily we had enough evidence with us and we're allowed in.
He is now 9 months old, I've spoke with USCIS, passport office, US embassy in London and cannot get him his US passport because we didn't get him his consular record of birth aboard and he doesn't have a SSN.
We have been told we can't travel as he won't be allowed back into the country. What do we do?
Instead of getting his passport which seems highly unlikely could I just give him LPR status through me?
Has anyone had this problem before?
Old May 10th 2017, 7:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LPR or US citizen?

Assuming that your husband was able to transmit citizenship to his children then your son IS a US citizen, and you will need to register his birth with the US consulate and then you will be able to apply for his US passport.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 10th 2017 at 7:59 pm.
Old May 10th 2017, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

janeth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Assuming that your husband was able to transmit citizenship to his children then your son IS a US citizen, and you will need to register his birth with the US consulate and then you will be able to apply for his US passport.
By registration you mean traveling back to London?
Is there no way of getting his record of birth abroad in the US?
Old May 10th 2017, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

When you asked this same question in March '17 Brit in Paris, amongst others, suggested a CRBA certificate from the Embassy in London.

Did you research this option?
Old May 10th 2017, 8:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
When you asked this same question in March '17 Brit in Paris, amongst others, suggested a CRBA certificate from the Embassy in London.

I knew the question had been asked recently. I hadn't realized it was the same person asking it!
Old May 10th 2017, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

I wasn't able to stay in England long enough to get an appointment also my husband didn't travel with us.
This is why it's so difficult. No one seems to have a straight answer.
The passport office where we took our oldest son for his new passport told us not to send the baby's application as he didn't have a ssn. Other people tell me he doesn't need to provide a ssn.
Old May 10th 2017, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

I knew the question had been asked recently. I hadn't realized it was the same person asking it!
Sorry. I traveled back shortly after this post and haven't been on the forum since 😂
Old May 10th 2017, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

😂😂
Old May 10th 2017, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeth8711
Sorry. I traveled back shortly after this post and haven't been on the forum since 😂
Where's "travelled back from"?

You left the US in 2015 to return to live in the UK but seem to have been travelling back and forth between the UK and US since then.

Where are you now?
Old May 10th 2017, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Where's "travelled back from"?

You left the US in 2015 to return to live in the UK but seem to have been travelling back and forth between the UK and US since then.

Where are you now?
We wanted to travel around Europe, which we did, I got pregnant.
We came back to the US sept 2016 and I had to go back to the U.K As my oldest daughter had surgery. We are now in Orlando.
Old May 10th 2017, 9:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you not now get the baby a SSN and then apply for a US passport from within the USA?

Just seems like it would be pretty straightforward.

Rene
Old May 10th 2017, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Can you not now get the baby a SSN and then apply for a US passport from within the USA?

Just seems like it would be pretty straightforward.

Rene
Noorah... you would think ? Social security won't issue him one without proof he's a US citizen. With either his birth abroad or passport.
Old May 10th 2017, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked at the US embassy in Nassau Bahamas, closest one to Florida, and it says..."A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) can be prepared only at the U.S. consular office in the country/region where the child was born and typically can only be done while the child is under the age of 18. If your child was born elsewhere than The Bahamas or the TCIs, please contact the U.S. Embassy/Consulate having U.S. consular jurisdiction over the place the child was born." So unless you can go to the UK, a FS-240 CRBA is out. That leaves a certificate of citizenship as your option.
Old May 10th 2017, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by janeth8711
Noorah... you would think ? Social security won't issue him one without proof he's a US citizen. With either his birth abroad or passport.
I don't think there is any way out of your conundrum without returning to London and getting a consular registration of birth.

From what you said, it sounds like you haven't been in the US long enough to naturalize, because you might have been able to append your son to your citizenship application.

Be aware that without evidence of US citizenship you son's status in the US is dubious to say the least - you're lucky the airline even allowed your son to fly, although quite frankly IMO they would have done you a favour had they turned you away because at least then you would have still been in London and able to go to the US consulate fairly easily.
Old May 10th 2017, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

I don't think there is any way out of your conundrum without returning to London and getting a consular registration of birth.

From what you said, it sounds like you haven't been in the US long enough to naturalize, because you might have been able to append your son to your citizenship application.

Be aware that without evidence of US citizenship you son's status in the US is dubious to say the least - you're lucky the airline even allowed your son to fly, although quite frankly IMO they would have done you a favour had they turned you away because at least then you would have still been in London and able to go to the US consulate fairly easily.
We moved here in July 2012 but not sure if they will re start my status from when we got back.
Upon entering the airport in Orlando the immigration officer stamped my sons passport as a USC.
The process in London takes weeks and we have no family to stay with while waiting for his passport/ ssn.
We've had such a horrible year and all we want to do is have a holiday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.