LPR to Citizenship for kids too?

Old Feb 4th 2013, 2:01 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default LPR to Citizenship for kids too?

Hi every one! I need your help!
It's finally time to start filling out the N400 forms for myself and my husband. We've both been LPRs for 5 years now. The question is, what do we do regarding our kids? They are 17 and 15 and have also been LPRs for 5 years. Do they automatically become citizens when we do? Can we fill out the N600 forms now, so they become citizens at the same time as us, or do we have to wait till after we are naturalized?
Thanks!
Old Feb 4th 2013, 3:11 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LPR to Citizenship for kids too?

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
It's finally time to start filling out the N400 forms for myself and my husband. We've both been LPRs for 5 years now. The question is, what do we do regarding our kids? They are 17 and 15 and have also been LPRs for 5 years. Do they automatically become citizens when we do? Can we fill out the N600 forms now, so they become citizens at the same time as us, or do we have to wait till after we are naturalized?
Thanks!
if you get you citizenship before they are 18 ..they both get it as well
you dont need the N600 just file for their US passport with yours
http://search.dhs.gov/search?query=c...&affiliate=dhs
Old Feb 4th 2013, 3:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You need to wait until you're naturalized.

If they are still under 18, have LPR and in your custody etc, they automatically become citizens when you take the oath.

Apply using form N-600 for evidence at that point. Contrary to post #2, they do need an N-600. It is a really bad idea to rely solely on a passport as evidence of citizenship.

How close is the 17 year old to turning 18? He or she may have to apply on own N-400 at 18th birthday if you have not taken the oath by then.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

If they are still under 18, have LPR and in your custody etc, they automatically become citizens when you take the oath.

Apply using form N-600 for evidence at that point. Contrary to post #2, they do need an N-600. It is a really bad idea to rely solely on a passport as evidence of citizenship.

How close is the 17 year old to turning 18? He or she may have to apply on own N-400 at 18th birthday if you have not taken the oath by then.
N600 is not needed so post #2 was actually correct. You can argue N600 is a good idea but it is definitely not required.

Also, they wouldn't be relying solely on US passports as evidence of citizenship. They can use a parent's proof of US citizenship and proof that they were minor PR's residing in the US with their parents at the time of their parents' naturalization. That's why children who become USC's by derivation keep their PR cards (while the parents' PR cards are surrendered as part of the naturalization process).

Last edited by MarylandNed; Feb 4th 2013 at 8:53 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Thanks!
Read this:

http://www.lawhelpmn.org/files/1765C...itizenship.pdf
Old Feb 4th 2013, 9:56 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I agree with this.

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
N600 is not needed so post #2 was actually correct. You can argue N600 is a good idea but it is definitely not required.
My stepson has his US passport, but won't apply for a certificate of citizenship until he's a little older and looks like the adult he will be for most of his life, rather than a toddler. But we'll want it before so much time has passed that we (and USCIS) have managed to misplace his and his mother's immigration files.

At 15 and 17 maybe they should get their certificates now, before the price goes up again. Amazing to me that applying for the certificate alone is just about as expensive as paying for the naturalization process.

Regards, JEff
Old Feb 6th 2013, 2:55 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
That helped clear things up...thanks!
Old Jun 4th 2013, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Basher7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ

They definitely do not need an N-600. It is a waste of $600 (each!). Just get them a passport using your citizenship certificate as evidence. Also, if you become a citizen before their 18th birthday they automatically become citizens themselves. They can wait until they're 25 if they like before getting a passport. This is just another example of confusing a passport with citizenship. You need to be a citizen to get one but you don't need one to be a citizen. You either are or you are not, simple as that.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 1:13 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Basher7
You need to be a citizen to get one but you don't need one to be a citizen. You either are or you are not, simple as that.
Not true not all US passport holders are citizens
Old Jun 4th 2013, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Not true not all US passport holders are citizens
Yes, US nationals, but you're being pedantic surely. The question is do you need to spend good money on an N600 for your under 18 kids and the answer is unequivocally no. It might give you a warm fuzzy feeling to have that certificate which is all well and good. I happen to think it is an expensive piece of A4 when you don't legally need it.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 3:24 pm
Ray

Yes, US nationals, but you're being pedantic surely. The question is do you need to spend good money on an N600 for your under 18 kids and the answer is unequivocally no. It might give you a warm fuzzy feeling to have that certificate which is all well and good. I happen to think it is an expensive piece of A4 when you don't legally need it.
Agreed.. but lot of people find they require it for certain applications
maybe later in life
Old Jun 4th 2013, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
maybe later in life
Yes, I don't really know how things work if you have no passport and no certificate. Surely there is a database they can reference? A regular citizen has a BC (supposedly, assuming they get one if born overseas) but a naturalized citizen relies on that darned naturalization certificate. What if you lose it? I know you can get a replacement but do they sting you for $600 for that too? I looked at my passport and interestingly it says "Nationality" which as you rightly point out is not the same as "citizen". I'll check on my daughter's US passport later (US born) to see if it is the same, which I'm 99.9% certain it is. My Brit passport calls me a "British Citizen" as does my other daughter's (born overseas, not in the US). No ambiguity there.

I agree that certificate is good to have but doubt it is worth $600! I guess the secret is to take good care of your own naturalization certificate and make sure it is available to any naturalized kids!
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
maybe later in life
Agreed but birth certificates are required some things and that will indicate foreign born for US citizens born overseas such as my son. So what should my son do to prove that he is a US citizen even though he has never had a problem and sometimes lets his passport expire.

Last edited by Michael; Jun 4th 2013 at 5:10 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:40 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm US born, my passport says "Nationality", as does the passports of my naturalized wife and stepson. No difference.

Regards, JEff
I looked at my passport and interestingly it says "Nationality" which as you rightly point out is not the same as "citizen". I'll check on my daughter's US passport later (US born) to see if it is the same, which I'm 99.9% certain it is.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

KCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ

+267

Through a series of horrible events I lost all my archive. I would hate it to depend on paperwork on file.

Last edited by KCK_DR; Jun 4th 2013 at 4:46 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.