Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Lost passport, reapply L1A, does L2 also need to be done?

Lost passport, reapply L1A, does L2 also need to be done?

Old Jul 14th 2018, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lost passport, reapply L1A, does L2 also need to be done?

traveled yesterday domestically in US and had passport to go through TSA, put passport back in purse zipped pocket as didn't need it to board. At home, found pocket of purse unzipped and no passport. So don't know whether I didn't zip it and passport fell out or what happened. Anyway filed reports with airline and airport, called taxi company and restaurant. Will file a police report for the lost USA visa as required.

Assuming the worst, getting a new passport isn't a big deal but seems getting new visa stamp is from what I have researched so far.

I originally got the visa stamp in Australia where I was on work secondment and seems that you are supposed to reapply for visa stamp at the original embassy. I have seen one post that says you can ask a different embassy if they will take the case - anyone have any comments on that as Canada would be easier for me now?

Also does my husband on his L 2 have to also reapply seeing as his visa piggybacks off mine?

Thank you in advance if you can give me any advice.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 3:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost passport, reapply L1A, does L2 also need to be done?

Can you not ask the company's immigration attorneys who assisted in getting you the original L1 visa? They would be the best source of information.

However, I'm sure that there are many members who will be along shortly to offer up their knowledge. Good luck to you.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Can you not ask the company's immigration attorneys who assisted in getting you the original L1 visa? They would be the best source of information.
thank you, yes they will no doubt help eventually but it's the weekend and the corporate lawyers move slowly and this will be considered low priority to them I am sure! I know I will get a faster response from this great knowledgeable crowd and can help me feel more calm as I need to go to Canada in September so not that long to get a new passport and new visa stamp (though hoping I can time it so that I can attend the Embassy for interview in Canada at the time of my intended travel there in any case rather than going to Australia before that time frame!)
Old Jul 14th 2018, 8:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've seen on my google search for you is that you need to return to the original US Consulate that issued the visa. So guess that means you have to return to Australia.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Lost passport, reapply L1A, does L2 also need to be done? - Panic over - found!

Originally Posted by Rete
From what I've seen on my google search for you is that you need to return to the original US Consulate that issued the visa. So guess that means you have to return to Australia.
Panic over, Denver Airport called to say the passport has been found thankfully before I cancelled it!
Apparently though for anyone's future reference, you can call the Consulate you prefer to go to and ask if they will take the case instead of having to go to the original Consulate but they are under no obligation to do so.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea I've never heard of having to go to the original US consulate. I've heard of having to go to the consulate in your home country. I personally have used US consulates in Canada (F1 and H1/H4) and the UK (H1/H4 visas), though I'm not from either country.

Thankfully you've found your passport!