Lost Passport

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 10:00 pm
Mrs B

Default Lost Passport

I have my AOS Interview next Friday, and I just spent the last hour
ripping apart our house looking for my passport and can't find it
anywhere. I do have photocopies of it along with my old student Visa,
but the actual thing isn't anywhere in this house.

Now, if I apply for a new Canadian passport, it can take up to 4 weeks
to recieve it. And the only way to file for an emergency passport is if
I still live in Canada.

Will this be a problem for my interview? I called the 1-800 number, and
the guy said "Well, if you don't have it, you can't bring it now can
you?" I'm just worried about having proof that I can work and travel if
I don't have a passport to get the conditional stamp in.

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 10:29 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost Passport

Originally Posted by Mrs B

I still live in Canada.

You don't have an EAD already? How quick has your AOS interview come around???

Probably you will be asked to return with your passport when you have it, at which point - assuming that the AOS interview went OK - you will be given the stamp.

As far as travel goes, that is probably off the agenda.

Don't worry about what the misinformation line said. Just turn up to the interview and explain.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

jemavalon is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know what they do in the case of lost passport, but when you have an expired passport, they sometimes take your picture, glue it to I-94 and stamp the I-94 making it a temporary evidense of status. So just in case, bring an extra picture of yourself to the interview -- maybe they will do something like this for you.

Good luck!
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 2:15 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Not the end of the world. You can, if approved, receive the I-551 stamp on an I-94 which they will do at the interview. However, note that many offices are not giving the stamp since the green card, itself, arrives in under a month from approval.

I still live in Canada.

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 2:16 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Not the end of the world. You can, if approved, receive the I-551 stamp on an I-94 which they will do at the interview. However, note that many offices are not giving the stamp since the green card, itself, arrives in under a month from approval.

BTW many Canadians don't have passports since one is not needed to travel to the US. So this issue is common for Canadians.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

BTW many Canadians don't have passports since one is not needed to travel to the US. So this issue is common for Canadians.
Rete, did they not recently change that law. USA & Canadians, now need passports to travel back & forth????
Or did I miss read this somewhere?
Reg. Frank R.
PS. I was recently speaking to a FED agentr, who told me in next 24 months, we "USC'S" will need to have/use our passports to travel 50 States.
Who knows.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 6:27 am
Mrs B

Well, I found the damn passport. I did one last search, and found it
stuck between two books. So thank god for that.

As far as the law for passports goes, they changed it again. From what
I read, a passport will be needed to travel to/from the US and Canada
by the end of NEXT year, not this year.

Nettle-
I got my EAD the day I applied for AOS back in February. My Adanced
Parole came through in March, then I had my fingerprints done in April.
I got my interview letter today.

Rete-
How common is it for the Green Card to arrive a month after the
interview? And will they take my Advanced Parole away? We're going home
to Canada for Christmas Dec. 25-31 and I don't want to be stuck in
Canada.

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:45 am
Concierge

Well, I found the damn passport. I did one last search, and found it
stuck between two books. So thank god for that.

Rete-
How common is it for the Green Card to arrive a month after the
interview? And will they take my Advanced Parole away? We're going home
to Canada for Christmas Dec. 25-31 and I don't want to be stuck in
Canada.

If you are approved that day they will take the A/P and the EAD from you. Since you are traveling be sure that you tell them that and that you require an I-551 stamp for re-entry.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:48 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by frrussre
Rete, did they not recently change that law. USA & Canadians, now need passports to travel back & forth????
Or did I miss read this somewhere?
Reg. Frank R.
PS. I was recently speaking to a FED agentr, who told me in next 24 months, we "USC'S" will need to have/use our passports to travel 50 States.
Who knows.

The start date for mandatory passport use has not yet started.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

The start date for mandatory passport use has not yet started.
Thanks
Reg.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

PS. I was recently speaking to a FED agent, who told me in next 24 months, we "USC'S" will need to have/use our passports to travel 50 States. Who knows.
I'm pretty sure he was pulling your leg on this. I mean... really... can you imagine the scenario on the roads every morning and night as people like me - who live in one state and work in another - go back and forth from work every day? And there are hundreds of thousands of us who do this!

Ian
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'm pretty sure he was pulling your leg on this. I mean... really... can you imagine the scenario on the roads every morning and night as people like me - who live in one state and work in another - go back and forth from work every day? And there are hundreds of thousands of us who do this!

Ian
I think he was talking about flying. As in a form of ID, at the moment people use drivers license, non driver ID. A friend of ours a few years ago used his Vietnam military ID, he had left his license at home. Driving licenses, are pretty much 2 a penny. Passports, much more difficult.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 1:26 pm
Concierge

I think he was talking about flying. As in a form of ID, at the moment people use drivers license, non driver ID. A friend of ours a few years ago used his Vietnam military ID, he had left his license at home. Driving licenses, are pretty much 2 a penny. Passports, much more difficult.
Reg. Frank R.

I think Ian is right. Even for flights between US States, a passport cannot be required. It is a document designed for use in international travel. The government cannot limited domestic flight to only passport holders.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 3:45 pm
Ap

In article <[email protected]> ,
[email protected] says...
    >
    > > I think he was talking about flying. As in a form of ID, at the
    > > moment people use drivers license, non driver ID. A friend of ours a
    > > few years ago used his Vietnam military ID, he had left his license at
    > > home. Driving licenses, are pretty much 2 a penny. Passports, much
    > > more difficult.
    > > Reg. Frank R.
    >
    > I think Ian is right. Even for flights between US States, a passport
    > cannot be required. It is a document designed for use in
    > international travel. The government cannot limited domestic flight
    > to only passport holders.

Sometimes I pull out my foregin ID card as identifaction (not passport
... just ID) .... and had no problem flying within US using that card.

AP

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 4:27 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Nettle-
I got my EAD the day I applied for AOS back in February. My Adanced
Parole came through in March, then I had my fingerprints done in April.
I got my interview letter today.
OK, it's just that in your original post you said that you were worried about being able to find proof of eligibility for work: you have your EAD - ergo, no problem...