Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Lost British Passport containing E2 Visa

Lost British Passport containing E2 Visa

Old Aug 18th 2019, 1:53 am
Just Joined

brewin90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Lost British Passport containing E2 Visa

Hi folks, looking for some advice; I've misplaced my British passport that contains my E2 visa, I currently live and work in the USA in permanent employment. I have approximately 16 months on my I-94. Assuming that it is actually lost can somebody please give me an idea of what the next steps are / what my options are?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you
Old Aug 18th 2019, 1:57 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost British Passport containing E2 Visa

Originally Posted by brewin90
Hi folks, looking for some advice; I've misplaced my British passport that contains my E2 visa, I currently live and work in the USA in permanent employment. I have approximately 16 months on my I-94. Assuming that it is actually lost can somebody please give me an idea of what the next steps are / what my options are?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you
Hi, can't help on the US visa side but if your UK passport is lost you must report it, follow the steps in this link https://www.gov.uk/report-a-lost-or-stolen-passport
Old Aug 18th 2019, 4:00 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you find it.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...len-visas.html
Old Aug 18th 2019, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Depends a little bit on what type - are you an essential employee? That's what it sounds like. If so - you don't really have any options. You just have to complete a new DS-160 and apply like you did last time. There isn't really a formal replacement process. My colleague did this exact thing about 18 months ago and we just had to go through the application process again. There weren't any issues and he was essentially waved through at the window when he explained he'd lost his passport, but a re-application is your only option. As such, you almost certainly have to inform your employer.

If you're the actual investor....I'm not too sure. Obviously go through the application process for that seems overly onerous so maybe there is a simpler issuance process in that case. You could email the E-2 unit and ask.
Old Aug 18th 2019, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute

US visas are solely for entry to the US, so you don't need to (and can't) get a US visa unless you leave the US and need to re-enter. So the next time you travel abroad, you would apply for an E2 visa with your new passport at a US consulate abroad where you are traveling.

Your status in the US is determined by your I-94. I-94s for people arriving since 2013 have been electronic, so you wouldn't have lost it even if you lost your passport. You would look it up and print it out from here.
Old Aug 19th 2019, 3:36 am
Just Joined

brewin90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay thank you for the information, I am an employee yes. Would I need to reapply / take my interview at the same consulate as the one I applied originally?
Old Aug 19th 2019, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Okay thank you for the information, I am an employee yes. Would I need to reapply / take my interview at the same consulate as the one I applied originally?
No, not necessarily.
Old Aug 19th 2019, 4:16 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiversaint
No, not necessarily.
probably yes.
https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/lost-...len-passports/
If your passport containing a valid U.S. visa is lost or stolen, you are required to report the loss or theft to the Embassy.
Please either email http://redirect.state.sbu/[email protected] or write to the The Visa Branch, US Embassy, 33 Nine Elms Lane, London, SW11 7US with the following information:
  • Your full name, date and place of birth;
  • The number and nationality of the lost or stolen passport;
  • The type of visa held and date and place of issuance;
  • Description of the loss or theft and if it has been reported to the police and/or your embassy. If reported to the police, please provide details including crime report/reference number.
Note: The email address is for the exclusive use of those reporting a lost or stolen passport. Unsolicited emails will automatically be deleted.

Once you have reported your passport as lost or stolen we will not be able to amend your record should you find the passport. Therefore, please ensure that your passport is not lying in a drawer somewhere before you submit the report.

Further information is available from the Department of State website, including information for those of you who may have lost the form I-94.

Nonimmigrant Visa Holders
If your passport is ever recovered, it can no longer be used for travel to the United States, including registering under ESTA. Once you have obtained a new passport, you may apply for a new visa, if required. An appointment for an interview may be scheduled online at https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-gb. Travelers who are not familiar with the Visa Waiver Program may wish to check this link to determine their eligibility. If you are eligible to travel visa free, you will not be required to replace the visa.
Old Aug 19th 2019, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Where does that say that OP needs to go to the same consulate to re-interview? All that says is the loss must be reported to London, presumably if initially issued in London.

For the purposes of re-issuance, it's basically the same as applying for a new visa. To that end he can go more or less anywhere - that's my understanding. It is however extremely unusual for an E-2 Essential Employee to apply anywhere other than the nation that he and the investor originated from.
Old Aug 20th 2019, 1:35 am
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by shiversaint
Where does that say that OP needs to go to the same consulate to re-interview? All that says is the loss must be reported to London, presumably if initially issued in London.

For the purposes of re-issuance, it's basically the same as applying for a new visa. To that end he can go more or less anywhere - that's my understanding. It is however extremely unusual for an E-2 Essential Employee to apply anywhere other than the nation that he and the investor originated from.
I do wish people would read and perhaps follow the links....
if you had clicked on the link in the quoted paragraph you would have seen the following:

Applying for a Replacement U.S. Visa

Lost or stolen U.S. visas cannot be replaced in the United States. For replacement of a visa, you must apply in person at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad. When applying for the replacement of a visa, you will need to provide a written account documenting the loss of your passport and visa. Include a copy of the police report.

Old Aug 20th 2019, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I do wish people would read and perhaps follow the links....
if you had clicked on the link in the quoted paragraph you would have seen the following:
Right, and OP asked

Would I need to reapply / take my interview at the same consulate as the one I applied originally?
All your link says, which I did read, is that the interview must take place at a consulate or embassy abroad. Not the same one, which is what the question was.
Old Aug 20th 2019, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

Would I need to reapply / take my interview at the same consulate as the one I applied originally?
Not necessarily the same consulate as original, but some consulates have policies about who is eligible to apply for a visa at that particular consulate. If you're not applying in a country you have nationality/residence in, you're a "third country national" - for example for Canada/Mexico, you can apply as a third country national unless you've overstayed, in which case you need to apply in your home country https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...da-mexico.html