Los Angeles Update

Old Mar 17th 2002, 12:35 am
F1visa

Default Los Angeles Update

I visited LA INS last friday to turn in an EAD application (the mail in one was
returned by INS few days before saying I have to hand it in person). Lined up outside
Room 1001 at 8:30 AM and got a number, talked briefly to an INS officer in a counter
around 10:30 AM. She asked me to pay 120$ at the cashier and go to the basement (you
have to walk out of the INS first floor and go back to the federal building via the
public entrance) and received a new EAD with in few minutes there. LA INS now issues
EAD's in one day if your AOS file is listed on their computer system. This is the
reason for mail in application return (which I didn't know before). With the EAD
application, I also had mailed an application for an AP (this was accepted). I
received the new AP document back in mail within 10 days.

This experience is totally not what I expected. For example, my previous AP is still
valid for three more months and I mailed a new application thinking it'll take LA INS
three months to send in a new one (given estimates from the past), but a ten day turn
around was amazing. Also, the line outside 1001 is shorter (at least when I was
there) and faster. May be I went on a day that not too many people turned up for some
reason. Also, I noticed there were INS agents outside asking questions from people,
handing applications and turning some back who had just come to get info.

Old Mar 18th 2002, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

california is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Los Angeles Update

Hi,
Do you mean first time EAD application? Meaning you can now submit EAD apps in person and they INS LA issue EAD the same day? That would be great if they issue EAD on the same day.

Or yours was a renewal?

Pls adv......
Old Mar 19th 2002, 4:35 am
F1visa

Default Re: Los Angeles Update

yes or no... I had a F-1 OPT EAD card.. I am adjusting status from a student visa. I
just applied for EAD as part of the AOS (didn't apply it when we submitted
I-130/I-485 etc). The officer said they will issue one day EAD's if the AOS file
appears on their computer system... It is clear renewals are now one day.

california <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi, Do you mean first time EAD application? Meaning you can now submit EAD apps in
    > person and they INS LA issue EAD the same day? That would be great if they issue
    > EAD on the same day.
    >
    > Or yours was a renewal?
    >
    > Pls adv......