Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Lorry Driver and couple questions!

Lorry Driver and couple questions!

Old Dec 14th 2021, 11:26 am
Just Joined

murfulls is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Lorry Driver and couple questions!

Hello,

Just trying to get a bit more info and guidance please on what me and my fiance's options are.
My fiance is a truck / long haul lorry driver with a class 2 driving license (Looking to do ADR and Class 1) will this be enough for him to apply for a working visa in the USA or sponsorship?
I can see from the H1-B visa that requires a master degree so i don't think that he will qualify, How else would he apply to work in the USA?
Would I be able to join him once we get married on a H4 visa?
I also would like to work in the USA but unsure with my qualifications what I can do as i don't have a degree.
We have savings and may even have enough to buy a house outright if we could, We are looking to see how things go first and then would make a decision on weather would stay permanently. We really like the idea of texas's or deep south but unsure if there are many haulage options here.

If anyone is able to give any advice or answers that would be great! We have thought about the idea for many years but now feel that we really want to look into it.

Thank you
Old Dec 14th 2021, 1:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lorry Driver and couple questions!

Hello,

He would need a company in the USA to sponsor him for some kind of work visa, but I'm thinking trucking probably doesn't lead to a work visa in the USA.

If, by some chance, he did receive an H1B, and you are married, then yes, you'd get an H4 visa to join him in the USA. However, an H4 does not allow you to work at all.

You don't have a degree, but what is your current job and how many years of experience do you have? If you work for a company with offices in the USA, you could ask to transfer on an L visa.

Rene
Old Dec 14th 2021, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Diversity Visa if you qualify seems your best bet
Old Dec 14th 2021, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the replies, We did look at Canada first for the trucker route but thought we would see if we could get into the USA, If we cant get a Visa with him doing trucking even if he gets sponsored that's kind of answered our question and squashed our plans, I work in health care and education administration and have over 8 years experience, i was also a dental nurse for 4 years.

i looked into the diversity Visa but that explained that our chances as a UK citizen are very low and they they are looking for more people who come from countries such as India ect?

Many thanks
Old Dec 14th 2021, 2:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

India is actually not a DV country, UK is complicated basically you can apply under Ireland if that applies to you.

Canada does have a reputation as being much more immigrant friendly, whether that applies to Lorry Drivers I have my doubts.
Old Dec 14th 2021, 2:47 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by murfulls
Thank you for the replies, We did look at Canada first for the trucker route but thought we would see if we could get into the USA, If we cant get a Visa with him doing trucking even if he gets sponsored that's kind of answered our question and squashed our plans, I work in health care and education administration and have over 8 years experience, i was also a dental nurse for 4 years.

i looked into the diversity Visa but that explained that our chances as a UK citizen are very low and they they are looking for more people who come from countries such as India ect?

Many thanks
Unless 1 of you was born outside the UK or in NI your chance at DV lottery is currently 0. India is also not eligible, so not sure what you are referring to.

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam...ns-English.pdf

The reason many Indians are able to come is because they invest the in their education, they go to an IIT and get skills that are in demand here.

The reason that the UK and India and the other countries listed on the link above are not eligible for DV lottery is because enough people come for those countries already through other routes like work and family based visas.
Old Dec 14th 2021, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Apologies I thought I had read that on their website, No problem if the trucker route isn't an option we will just have to go back to the drawing board.

Thank you though
Old Dec 19th 2021, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

thistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond repute

All provinces in Canada need truck drivers. Just one example.

https://novascotiaimmigration.com/mo...ons-in-demand/
Old Dec 20th 2021, 2:45 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I am a retired US immigration attorney. May I suggest that you make your question a tad more general? Rather then inquiring about specific paths, ask if there is a path to immigrating into the US? Us immigration legal types would either have an intake questionnaire or would go down a particular question tree. Quite often the answer would be “SOL” but in an appreciable number we could ascertain a path which the potential client had not thought of. In reading this thread I have noted some branches of the question tree left dangling and others unexplored. A paid consultation might be in order. Even if the answer is SOL, you will know you left no stone unturned.
Old Dec 24th 2021, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

There is a large and growing shortage of drivers in the US but as of yet probably no direct visa route. How about Canada and live initially near US border and drive for a Canadian company that delivers mostly to US destinations. Do large Canadian trucking firms have US terminals with possibility of transfer to US? Can a experienced Canadian driver get a job/visa with a US carrier?