Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Look... Over there... It's an American

Look... Over there... It's an American

Old Jun 26th 2004, 12:36 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Look... Over there... It's an American

After 6.5 years, the immigration monkey is finally off my back!

Sheila and I left home at 8:30 am for the two hour drive to Lexington. We took in a leisurely breakfast at Cracker Barrel and arrived at the court house at 11:30. The court house is one of the older buildings in Lexington. Dating back to 1901 and ornately decorated in marble and oak, the atmosphere was very austere and, I believe, a perfect setting for the naturalization ceremony. We showed our ID to the officers and were directed to the "jury selection" room where we could wait. There were already 10 or so people in the room when we arrived. We sat down and waited patiently.

At 12:30, the Deputy Director of Louisville's USCIS office arrived and we were asked to hand in our appointment letter and green card. I was a bit amazed that one or two of the folks did not have all their paperwork with them. After a while, the family members were asked to make their way to the court room while we applicants were asked to stay behind. We were assigned a seat number for the court room and I felt somewhat Borg-ish in a Star Trek: Next Generation sort of way. I was 34 of 38. As it turns out, 2 people did not show up for the ceremony so there were actually only 36 of us present. We were soon ushered out of the waiting room and made our way upstairs to the second floor court room.

At exactly 1:30, Judge Jennifer B. Coffman entered the room, we all stood up, down came the gavel, and court was in session. The US attorney addressed the judge and indicated he had three motions to present to the court - the first was a motion for naturalization on behalf of the 36 applicants present; the second was a motion on behalf of the six applicants who had applied for name changes; and the third was a motion for continuance on behalf of the two applicants who did not attend. The judge said she would be glad to hear the attorney's motions and, in response to the first motion, we were asked to stand to take the Oath of Allegiance. The court clerk read the oath and as it ended, we all said "I do". After sitting, the judge agreed to allow the name changes as presented, and agreed to allow a continuance for the two missing applicants. She then asked several members of the Daughters of the American Revolution to come forward and address the "new citizens". After this, the entire room stood, turned towards the flag, and recited the Pledge of Allegiance. I'm not too proud to admit that reciting the Pledge brought a tear to my eye.

The judge then recited a beautiful piece of prose written by George Mardikian - an Armenian born, naturalized citizen who became a successful businessman and author, and who was awarded the US Medal of Freedom for his service to US servicemen during the Korean war.

"You who have been born in America, I wish I could make you understand what it is like not to be an American -- not to have been an American all your life -- and then suddenly with the words of a judge in flowing robes to be one, for that moment and forever after. One moment, you belong with your fathers to a million dead yesterdays -- the next you belong with America to a million unborn tomorrows."

With that reading, the judge brought the ceremony to a close. She said we could pick up our certificate and gifts from the DAR representatives, and if we wanted photos taken, she'd be happy to pose with us. Then, down came the gavel and court was adjourned.

We lined up for our certificate, and family members came to the front of the room. Judge Coffman let folks take as many photos as they wanted. We all waited patiently yet eagerly for our turn to thank the judge, to have photos taken, and to receive our coveted naturalization certificates.

Sheila took many photos, but I like these two best. I've got them posted on my K-1 web site. The first is me with Judge Coffman and the second is me and my prize!

http://medix.marshall.edu/~levstein1...0&%20Judge.jpg

http://medix.marshall.edu/~levstein1/k-1/images/Ian.jpg

Ian (and Sheila)

---------------------------------------------------
Timeline:

Mailed I-129F: November 28, 1997
K-1 interview in Montreal: March 27, 1998
Married Sheila: May 23, 1998
Filed for AoS: June 15, 1998
AoS interview: February 20, 2001
Received PR status: March 4, 2001
Applied for Citizenship: December 8, 2003
NoA: Priority date - December 11, 2003
Fingerprinted: January 20, 2004
Citizenship Interview: May 5, 2004 – Passed
Oath Ceremony: June 25, 2004 – and the journey is over!
Old Jun 26th 2004, 12:53 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Look... Over there... It's an American

Ian and Shelia

First, Ian, congratulations on your new status as a US Citizen. Your ceremony and the proceedings sound wonderfully emotional and filled with pomp and circumstance. Just as such an occasion should be.

Second, Shelia, thank you for bringing this lovely man to our country to become a part of it as he has become a part of your life.

Third, as a US Citizen by birth, I welcome you to our nation and hope that it stands by you as you have and will stand by it.

Congratulations

Rita and Jim
Can/Am Alumni '98

PS Love your pictures and that smile says it all !!!!!!!
Old Jun 26th 2004, 1:42 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Many congratulations to you Ian!!! It must've been a wonderful feeling to be at that ceremony!

As Rete says - your smile says it all - grinning from ear-to-ear like a Cheshire cat!!!

Great piccies!

Best wishes

Tam
Old Jun 26th 2004, 1:51 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by ian-mstm

<snip>
After this, the entire room stood, turned towards the flag, and recited the Pledge of Allegiance. I'm not too proud to admit that reciting the Pledge brought a tear to my eye.
Well done, Ian... it is a very emotional moment you describe that I remember only too well... when I went back to be hugged and kissed by my husband, I saw there were tears in his eyes as well.
Congratulations!! It's finally over....
Old Jun 26th 2004, 1:53 am

RussianGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Great pictures!
Old Jun 26th 2004, 2:03 am
AOS-LA District Office

mc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant futuremc898 has a brilliant future

Many Congratulations Ian!

Now you can apply for your own American Passport

Maria
Old Jun 26th 2004, 8:59 am
heading to Ohio

widge is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations - you look so proud American has gained a good 'un !

It must be a wonderful feeling to know that you have no more immigration forms to fill ever again - what will you do with all that nw free time :-)
Old Jun 26th 2004, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

gemmacat will become famous soon enough

Congratulations! Love the pictures.. you look so happy!
Old Jun 26th 2004, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

silent-whispers is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations ~ thank you for sharing your day with us!

Great pictures!

Old Jun 26th 2004, 11:19 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

After 6.5 years, the immigration monkey is finally off my back!

Sheila and I left home at 8:30 am for the two hour drive to Lexington. We took in a leisurely breakfast at Cracker Barrel and arrived at the court house at 11:30. The court house is one of the
Wow!! Yay!! Sorry I am late to your thread!!!
HURRAY!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
The Journey is over!!.
Thank you so much for the pictures, you look SO Happy!!, It is the first time I don't need to ask someone to post pictures!!
Old Jun 26th 2004, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

psychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of light

Congratulations Ian from another Kentuckian (well, actually Michigander but now living in KY for 26 years!)! Are you now eligible to vote in November? My husband would love to be able to vote against Bush this year, but alas is not eligible to apply for citizenship until next year.

Dawn
Old Jun 26th 2004, 11:32 pm

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by psychobabbler1
Congratulations Ian from another Kentuckian (well, actually Michigander but now living in KY for 26 years!)! Are you now eligible to vote in November? My husband would love to be able to vote against Bush this year, but alas is not eligible to apply for citizenship until next year.

Dawn
I would love to vote against Bush too.. But I can't Bummer!!
Have a nice weekend!
Old Jun 27th 2004, 1:58 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by psychobabbler1
Congratulations Ian from another Kentuckian (well, actually Michigander but now living in KY for 26 years!)! Are you now eligible to vote in November?
Yes, I can vote! In fact, one things I left out of the story is that the League of Women Voters had a booth set up outside the courtroom and they were doing voter registrations for all the new citizens.

Ian
Old Jun 27th 2004, 5:38 am

Yes, I can vote! In fact, one things I left out of the story is that the League of Women Voters had a booth set up outside the courtroom and they were doing voter registrations for all the new citizens.

Ian

How cool!!! Congrats again Ian!
My kitten is "hanging" from the couch, and guess what? He is asleep!! lol
Old Jun 27th 2004, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

JnB637 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats! one thing.... if i were you .. i would block on the information on your picture! you woouldnt wnt someone to steal your information and stuff like that. just my 2 cents! anyways.. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.