British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Long Term Visa? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/long-term-visa-622644/)

P-101 Jul 28th 2009 8:35 pm

Long Term Visa?

Hello, I am new here hoping to get some advice from people who have been/are in the same situation as me.

I am a UK and Australian dual citizen, last year I visited the USA on the VWP... While in the US I met someone (US citizen) and we have been in constant contact since, we also managed to recently meet up in Europe for a short while. We are both very serious about our relationship and are genuinely in love with each other.

I have visited the US several times over the past decade and every time I have never overstayed my visa and always followed the laws and rules.
So my question is whether there is a visa I can get out to the US on for longer than 3 months to be with my girlfriend? Is there a way that I will be able to work legally to support my stay?

I am just looking at options for now, I know marriage is definitely an option for us down the road (whether that's soon or not we will have to see) But for now I just want to be with the person who I love.

Hope to hear from someone soon, thanks!

meauxna Jul 28th 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Long Term Visa?

Hi there, check the pinned post at the top of the forum: Really Read Me. It will cover your options outside of coming over based on the relationship.

I predict a minimum of 3 posts to come that say 'marry her'. :D

The immigration laws have not kept up with social norms. Many of us who weren't interested in marriage realized early on that there is no BF/GF visa.

As an Australian citz you do have a unique special visa available for work called an E-3; you can read some of the threads here for specific info. It's a skilled labor visa, not for casual labor.

Bill_S Jul 28th 2009 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by P-101 (Post 7792475)
So my question is whether there is a visa I can get out to the US on for longer than 3 months to be with my girlfriend? Is there a way that I will be able to work legally to support my stay?

It sounds like you want the mythical "live with my girlfriend and work at odd jobs" visa. You'll have to find a way to qualify for one of the visas that allows employment (eg. J, E, L, H).

In before Fatbrit tells you to plan your wedding.

ian-mstm Jul 28th 2009 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by P-101 (Post 7792475)
Hope to hear from someone soon, thanks!

Marry her and get it over with. It is by far the easiest method.

Ian

Bob Jul 29th 2009 1:22 am

What do you do for work?

As a aussie citizen, you can get and renew annually the E3 visa which runs for around $130 or so, that's if the type of work you do is eligible. You can always get married and then AOS for greencard eventually if you want.

And if you can't get the E3, just marry the bird...

Michelmas Jul 29th 2009 3:15 am

If you love her, Marry her and be done with it.

There ya go, 3rd "marry her" post to make meauxna happy.:thumbup:

P-101 Jul 29th 2009 11:49 am

Thanks for all your responses, I looked into the E-3 visa and I don't think I will be able to get that as I do not have a university qualification... Oh well!

I think marriage is the only option, we have both discussed the posibility and we both agreed that we wanted to do it in our own time but with the current situation, it is probably for the best.

malj Jul 29th 2009 6:39 pm

You don't have to have a unversity degree for an E3 if you have equivalent work experience. 3 years for every one year of an equivalent US degree. US degrees are generally 4 years so you will need 12 years of experience to go that route.