Long Form Birth Certificate?

Old Nov 20th 2004, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Wifey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Long Form Birth Certificate?

My husband came over on a K-1 visa earlier this year. Up until the AOS interview, USCIS was saying that an adoption certificate was fine for evidence that he was born in the UK and to establish his identity. However, the interviewer now insists that a long form birth certificate in his original name is required. We have been told previously by many USCIS officials that it was not necessary.

The problem is, the General Register wants my husband's birth parents names. We have his birth name, but not the names of either of his birth parents. It takes several weeks to access the information, we are told, and then another several to get the birth certificate. The interviewer told us (and gave us a form) that USCIS needs this information within 90 days. He did as an aside mention that a statement from the GRO stating that the information was unavailable would suffice and that USCIS would then use the adoption certificate as "secondary evidence".

It just seems like we were so close to getting everything done (at least until the removal of conditions) and now we have more to worry about. Has anyone else been told they need a long form birth certificate at this stage of their application? It just seems arbitarary after all the other people told us differently. And does anyone know an easier way to get the long form birth certificate?
Old Nov 20th 2004, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

broma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nice
Default Re: Long Form Birth Certificate?

Originally Posted by Wifey
My husband came over on a K-1 visa earlier this year. Up until the AOS interview, USCIS was saying that an adoption certificate was fine for evidence that he was born in the UK and to establish his identity. However, the interviewer now insists that a long form birth certificate in his original name is required. We have been told previously by many USCIS officials that it was not necessary.

The problem is, the General Register wants my husband's birth parents names. We have his birth name, but not the names of either of his birth parents. It takes several weeks to access the information, we are told, and then another several to get the birth certificate. The interviewer told us (and gave us a form) that USCIS needs this information within 90 days. He did as an aside mention that a statement from the GRO stating that the information was unavailable would suffice and that USCIS would then use the adoption certificate as "secondary evidence".

It just seems like we were so close to getting everything done (at least until the removal of conditions) and now we have more to worry about. Has anyone else been told they need a long form birth certificate at this stage of their application? It just seems arbitarary after all the other people told us differently. And does anyone know an easier way to get the long form birth certificate?
I am from the UK and my father was adopted, therefore has an adoption certificate instead of a birth certificate.

It has always been my understanding the a birth certificate is not necessary for an adopted child, the adoption certificate is all thats needed, it supercedes the birth certificate.

I am sure there are adopted people out there who do not know their birth name, like my father, who like me would have no idea how to even start to get a birth certificate.

You could try to check if St Catherine's house has a website or something, I think that is where they hold all the birth records for the UK.

Sorry its not much help, but hopefully others will be.
Old Nov 20th 2004, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

broma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nice

Originally Posted by broma25
I am from the UK and my father was adopted, therefore has an adoption certificate instead of a birth certificate.

It has always been my understanding the a birth certificate is not necessary for an adopted child, the adoption certificate is all thats needed, it supercedes the birth certificate.

I am sure there are adopted people out there who do not know their birth name, like my father, who like me would have no idea how to even start to get a birth certificate.

You could try to check if St Catherine's house has a website or something, I think that is where they hold all the birth records for the UK.

Sorry its not much help, but hopefully others will be.

The web site is www.stcaths.com

I am sure if you email them they will give you the info you need
Old Nov 20th 2004, 5:26 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

I am Irish and adopted and I cannot access my "original" birth cert. I have always had a birth cert with no parents names on it, so i had the same trouble. Folinsky indicated that the short form would be fine, but I still contacted the Regristrar in Dublin and they did issue me a long form with my adopted parents name on it instead of my original birth parents.

What I gave them was where I was born, date of birth and adopted parents names.

Patrick
Old Nov 20th 2004, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

First look into Patrick's suggestion. I'm not familiar with UK practice on this, but in the US it is common to amend the BC to show adopted parents and to protect confidnetiality of natural parents. [This is controversial in some quarters and I am not getting into that debate].

You might want to hire a lawyer to tell CIS to, in polite terms, to shove it. That is part of what we do. The other day, Beach Bunny Laura stated she saw my card on a DAO's desk. The reason for that invovled an employment case which involved my politely explaining why the case was to be approved and I finally got the supervisor to come in, and have me explain it again in front of DAO and supervisor. Case was approved. I think the Supervisor used it as a training moment.
Old Nov 20th 2004, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for the advice. Seems GRO can "maybe" get us a long form eventually, but I feel better about our footing now. If it comes down to it, we might just go with that "shove it" solution. Hopefully it won't and maybe GRO will be "kind" enough to refuse us a birth certificate and give us a statement saying so.
Old Nov 20th 2004, 11:04 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Thanks everyone for the advice. Seems GRO can "maybe" get us a long form eventually, but I feel better about our footing now. If it comes down to it, we might just go with that "shove it" solution. Hopefully it won't and maybe GRO will be "kind" enough to refuse us a birth certificate and give us a statement saying so.
Well I got my Long form from Ireland while here in the US, they had a fax application which I just faxed to their office with visa as payment for it, it arrived in less than 10 days here to my US address, very efficient.
I would think the UK registrar should be the same, as many of these things were imported from the UK way of doing things.
BTW, I had the EXACT same worry due to being adopted and worried I could not get a Long Form of my birth cert because of adoption privacy laws but when I first called the office on the phone they said there would be no problem and that my adopted parents names would be on it.
Best of luck
Patrick
Old Nov 21st 2004, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

We did manage to finally get a person on the phone in the UK, but they gave us an estimate of several weeks to research and get the certificate and that's only maybe possible. We're still going to, of course. Even if they can't get a long form birth certificate, they'll give us a statement and then even the immigration interviewer has said that he can go with the adoption certificate.

As an amusing aside, we were in the shopping mall Friday. My dear husband pokes me and points out that we'd just walked by our interviewer! If he'd seen us, maybe we could issue that encounter (us holding hands and generally being affectionate) as evidence?
Old Nov 21st 2004, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

simon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the rough

I was adopted in England in 1965, my full BC shows my adopted parents names. This is what I used for my green card and Naturalization.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 8:08 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

We did manage to finally get a person on the phone in the UK, but they gave us an estimate of several weeks to research and get the certificate and that's only maybe possible. We're still going to, of course. Even if they can't get a long form birth certificate, they'll give us a statement and then even the immigration interviewer has said that he can go with the adoption certificate.

As an amusing aside, we were in the shopping mall Friday. My dear husband pokes me and points out that we'd just walked by our interviewer! If he'd seen us, maybe we could issue that encounter (us holding hands and generally being affectionate) as evidence?
I was also told at least 3 weeks to get my long form birth cert also, as previously stated it only actually took them about 10 days to get it and that was including the mailing of it here to the US.
Patrick`
Old Nov 21st 2004, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

See http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificate/
Old Nov 21st 2004, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

Kazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Yeah, we have used that site to request a birth certificate in my current name.
The site, and the dear lady on the phone, required the names of my birth parents as well as my birth name and place and date to issue me a certificate in my birth name.
I actually took a closer look at the form (I-485?) we got at the interview and noticed the guy has ticked the box which says 'furnish the birth certificate of (my CURRENT name)'. So I'm slightly confused on this... If he has an adoption certificate in my current name with both my adopted parents listed on it why is he asking for a birth certificate in my current name which simply cannot exist... y'know with being born with a different name? hehe
Also I've discovered that to access my birth records, seeing as I was adopted before 1975, I need to attend an interview... in England!!
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. :/
It just kinda annoys me that at every stage we have been told that an adoption certifiicate would be just fine now this guy asks for something we were told we didn't need...
Old Jan 31st 2005, 1:47 am
Just Joined

Well. Just a quick update of nothing. We got a letter from the UK saying there was no information matching the name and date of birth of my dear husband. They also helpfully provided another copy of the adoption certificate.

Hopefully a denial is enough for the immigration officer. We mailed out the stuff a week ago and have heard nothing either way. So, more waiting. I'd just feel way more comfortable if my husband had a green card in hand!
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 3:22 am
Just Joined

It worked. We sent in the official letter from the UK stating that there was no birth certificate that matched my dear husband's name, date of birth and location.

Green card is on the way, we have that nice welcome letter and everything. Looking forward to not doing anything but reporting change of address (if necessary) for a couple years
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 3:31 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

It worked. We sent in the official letter from the UK stating that there was no birth certificate that matched my dear husband's name, date of birth and location.

Green card is on the way, we have that nice welcome letter and everything. Looking forward to not doing anything but reporting change of address (if necessary) for a couple years

Woooo Congratulations!!!

Ps: I wonder if Spain has a long form birth certificate!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.