Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

London - Medical insurance requirements

London - Medical insurance requirements

Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Brodders is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: London - Medical insurance requirements

Thanks Amanda! Will the temporary immigrant insurance for your daughter continue even after she becomes a USC? I just got the impression that it was for non-US citizens and that it ceases once you become a USC. Although I do see now that they have short term insurance options on the www.buyamericaninsurance.com website as well which don't seem to have a non-USC requirement. So will see if I can manage anything on that.

I don't really want to take out the health insurance now for the interview (as we don't have a travel date yet so not sure what to put in as a start date) but I do want something in place by the time we get there (hopefully July/Aug) so we're at least covered until we qualify for longer term insurance.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brodders
I also have to apologize for bringing back this old post once again, but just doing another check whether the health insurance issue has in the meantime come up again in London? My husband's interview is on 1 May and I couldn't find any recent discussions on this.

This thread was also very helpful for details on buying temporary insurance, but I was wondering about children who will become USC upon entry? I can't find temporary insurance for myself (USC) and 2 kids from here as the immigrant insurance seems to apply only for non-USC. And we don't have a US address/zipcode yet so I can't otherwise apply for insurance. Also not sure if the 6 month waiting period for health insurance applies to all new residents (i.e also USC)?

Has anyone had any similar experience?

Yes, one other poster had it requested. I think it was Agentpeppermint, and this was in the past few weeks. She is the USC, and her DH is the UKC (coming on a K1 IIRC).
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

mrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Brodders
Thanks Amanda! Will the temporary immigrant insurance for your daughter continue even after she becomes a USC? I just got the impression that it was for non-US citizens and that it ceases once you become a USC. Although I do see now that they have short term insurance options on the www.buyamericaninsurance.com website as well which don't seem to have a non-USC requirement. So will see if I can manage anything on that.

I don't really want to take out the health insurance now for the interview (as we don't have a travel date yet so not sure what to put in as a start date) but I do want something in place by the time we get there (hopefully July/Aug) so we're at least covered until we qualify for longer term
insurance.
Hi Brodders

Sent you a pm.

Amanda
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:30 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jbrierley82
Hello,

I've read a couple of posts indicating London have sometimes requested medical insurance coverage and thought it would be useful to have a post on it.

Can anyone who has experienced this please post here and also detail where you got your medical insurance from, what the coverage was, for how long, whether docs can be printed from online etc. Also whether the embassy accepted it.

Thanks,

James

We were requested medical insurance that was NOT travel insurance, we purchased a one year policy with a max of 100k 90/10 pay out, medical and emergency cover included was emergency transport back to his home country, and prescription coverage. 400$ one time payment, deductible of 2500.