Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

London - Medical insurance requirements

London - Medical insurance requirements

Old Nov 28th 2008, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

bybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud of
Default Re: London - Medical insurance requirements

Originally Posted by Rete
Unfortunately, that is the nature of the beast. They have the ability to change criteria in mid-stream and for that reason it is why forums, such as these, are so useful. The experiences of others who first encounter the changes in requirements are the ones will help make your way a little easier.
I agree 100%. I've received a lot of assistance and support here already and am thankful to those who share their experiences.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 7:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisncarla
Thanks for the information on the insurance we will make sure that we have this when we go for interview.
Unless you were going to get it anyway, I'd recommend that you consider this carefully. What Ian and I have been trying to say is that this is NOT a regular stated requirement and people should not purchase something they didn't intend to "just in case".

I strongly encourage people to not over-react to one or two individual experiences. Sometimes these things simply come and go.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

gstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bybarra
I agree 100%. I've received a lot of assistance and support here already and am thankful to those who share their experiences.
I agree too, 101%
Old Nov 28th 2008, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

mrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
While it's *usually* never my intent to undermine USCIS, I'll say here what I said in another thread with respect to insurance... you should only need insurance long enough to successfully enter the US. You should *not* need it for a year... only long enough to get you into the US where *if* you need the insurance coverage to continue, your options may be better - especially if you'll be covered under your spouse's health insurance policy.

Remember, USCIS (and London specifically) is only requesting coverage in order to *issue* the visa... once the visa is issued, they don't care whether or not that coverage continues.

Having health insurance coverage, while always a good idea, is *not* a prerequisite for entering the US.

Ian
Thanks Ian,

On reflection will probably only get insurance for 6 months, as I have spoken directly with insurances companies in the US and they have said that they will not cover until we have been in the US for at least 6 months. Hopefully then our options will improve. The immigrant insurance seems quite reasonable for me and little one.

Amanda
Old Nov 28th 2008, 8:09 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Unless you were going to get it anyway, I'd recommend that you consider this carefully. What Ian and I have been trying to say is that this is NOT a regular stated requirement and people should not purchase something they didn't intend to "just in case".

I strongly encourage people to not over-react to one or two individual experiences. Sometimes these things simply come and go.
Absolutley.

What happened at my interview was certainly the first time I've heard of someone being asked to show medical insurance, and for the last few months I've tried to make sure I've pre-empted everything they could ask for, losing sleep, and driving my DH mad - so if it was something that was commonly asked for I would have been one of the first in the cue to have it lined up.

Everyones case is different, but to put things into perspective - Now I've had time to mull things over, it does appear that the ConOff was looking out for our best interests in his request, when you look at our situation:

We have 6, yes SIX children between us - 4 USC and 2 UKC
Neither of us are currently working
We will be looking for work once we get to the US.

As I've said in the other thread, medical insurance to tide us over until at least one of us was working was something we have talked about on numerous occasions but thought it was something we could do when we got to the US. I'm sure that the sheer number of children we have and our work situation was something that concerned the ConOff enough for him to force our hand earlier than we would have done, and logically it is in everyones best interests that we do have cover.

Also, this happened on Tuesday. By Tuesday night I had purchased the required insurance online, and if I hadn't have been waiting for some additional I864 documentation to arrive from the US that he also requested, it would have been collected by the courier yesterday and arrived at the embassy today - so the delay would only have been a couple of days.

If you haven't booked your flights assuming that you are going to get the visa, then a couple of days delay, and a few $ to pay out isn't really that bad in the grand scheme of things.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

mrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by meauxna

After reading both your post and Ian's i think I will wait for the CO to ask for this, then say was only going to purchase when i had the visa in hand

Something we all forget that everyone's case is individual.

Thanks again BE.

Amanda
Old Nov 28th 2008, 8:17 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
While it's *usually* never my intent to undermine USCIS, I'll say here what I said in another thread with respect to insurance... you should only need insurance long enough to successfully enter the US. You should *not* need it for a year... only long enough to get you into the US where *if* you need the insurance coverage to continue, your options may be better - especially if you'll be covered under your spouse's health insurance policy.

Remember, USCIS (and London specifically) is only requesting coverage in order to *issue* the visa... once the visa is issued, they don't care whether or not that coverage continues.

Having health insurance coverage, while always a good idea, is *not* a prerequisite for entering the US.

Ian
Hi:

I thought this thread was about London and an immigrant visa. Why are you talking about CIS? Just curious. I don't see the connection.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clarissageo
Also, this happened on Tuesday. By Tuesday night I had purchased the required insurance online, and if I hadn't have been waiting for some additional I864 documentation to arrive from the US that he also requested, it would have been collected by the courier yesterday and arrived at the embassy today - so the delay would only have been a couple of days..
Hi:

Probably no real delay at all. Thursday was American Thanksgiving and the Friday after Thanksgiving is a quasi-holiday.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 8:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrs Bucket
After reading both your post and Ian's i think I will wait for the CO to ask for this, then say was only going to purchase when i had the visa in hand

Something we all forget that everyone's case is individual.

Thanks again BE.

Amanda
Clever girl.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 1:24 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
I don't see the connection.
Pthpthbt!

Ian
Old Jan 8th 2009, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

SnipsUK is a jewel in the roughSnipsUK is a jewel in the roughSnipsUK is a jewel in the roughSnipsUK is a jewel in the rough

Sorry about bringing back an old post, but I was just wondering if anyone else has been asked about medical insurance at their visa interview since clarissageo?

My interview for CR-1 is next week and if it only appears to have happened to one or two people, then I might risk not getting the 'intending immigrant insurance' as I'll hopefully be covered once I start my job (which is pending my visa approval).

Thanks
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by SnipsUK
Sorry about bringing back an old post, but I was just wondering if anyone else has been asked about medical insurance at their visa interview since clarissageo?

My interview for CR-1 is next week and if it only appears to have happened to one or two people, then I might risk not getting the 'intending immigrant insurance' as I'll hopefully be covered once I start my job (which is pending my visa approval).

Thanks
claressageo is the first and last person I have ever heard of having this request.

Does that help?
<----------------------Join Date
Old Apr 21st 2009, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Brodders is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have to apologize for bringing back this old post once again, but just doing another check whether the health insurance issue has in the meantime come up again in London? My husband's interview is on 1 May and I couldn't find any recent discussions on this.

This thread was also very helpful for details on buying temporary insurance, but I was wondering about children who will become USC upon entry? I can't find temporary insurance for myself (USC) and 2 kids from here as the immigrant insurance seems to apply only for non-USC. And we don't have a US address/zipcode yet so I can't otherwise apply for insurance. Also not sure if the 6 month waiting period for health insurance applies to all new residents (i.e also USC)?

Has anyone had any similar experience?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brodders
I also have to apologize for bringing back this old post once again, but just doing another check whether the health insurance issue has in the meantime come up again in London? My husband's interview is on 1 May and I couldn't find any recent discussions on this.
I had my interview April 6th, had got the medical insurance just in-case but wasnt asked for it despite certain health problems.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brodders

This thread was also very helpful for details on buying temporary insurance, but I was wondering about children who will become USC upon entry? I can't find temporary insurance for myself (USC) and 2 kids from here as the immigrant insurance seems to apply only for non-USC. And we don't have a US address/zipcode yet so I can't otherwise apply for insurance. Also not sure if the 6 month waiting period for health insurance applies to all new residents (i.e also USC)?

Has anyone had any similar experience?
Hi Brodders,

Just to answer about insurance.

Our daughter is in the same situation as your children will be become residents when she arrives in US. We did not have any medical insurance and was not asked.

My daughter and I will get temporary medical insurance and hubby (not sure what he will do) he is not too bothered as only goes to doctors once in a blue moon.

The state we are going to arizona, the health insurance compaines we rang said that we had to have lived in Us for 12 months before applying.

Hope this helps.

Amanda

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.