British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   London embassy wait times ahhhrrggg (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/london-embassy-wait-times-ahhhrrggg-606646/)

nooj May 1st 2009 4:58 pm

London embassy wait times ahhhrrggg

Having a complete pain with the visa process. London has just the most ridiculously long wait times and process times. OH travels alot in Europe with current job and after a great deal of faffing around eventually had to go the passport place with loads of supporting docs and get a 2nd passport issued, then had to go Brussels for the interview- visa back in 3 days. We (me and 2 kids) have finally got appointment for early June, fees paid etc, but it looks like we will have to travel to Brussels too (with a 5 yr old and toddler :() and apply there if we are to hit our 10 June departure.
Nightmare!!

welshgirl1 May 1st 2009 5:40 pm

Re: London embassy wait times ahhhrrggg

What visa are you applying for? Have you already booked flights on June 10th? *DANGER*

ian-mstm May 1st 2009 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by nooj (Post 7533000)
We (me and 2 kids) have finally got appointment for early June, fees paid etc, but it looks like we will have to travel to Brussels too (with a 5 yr old and toddler :() and apply there if we are to hit our 10 June departure.

I hope you haven't purchased tickets that can't be refunded/changed. There's no guarantee that you'll get your passports back in time.

Nightmare!!
Having your house destroyed by fire is a nightmare. Let's keep things in perspective.

Ian

nooj May 1st 2009 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 7533613)
I hope you haven't purchased tickets that can't be refunded/changed. There's no guarantee that you'll get your passports back in time.

Having your house destroyed by fire is a nightmare. Let's keep things in perspective.

Ian

tis just a turn of phrase dear heart... Thought it more pithy than, "somewhat annoying sort of on a par with being threatened by a badger but not as upsetting as having your foot caught in a mangle" :)

we haven't booked tickets yet- and have now decided on the Brussels route. One last jaunt through Europe I suppose.

dbj1000 May 1st 2009 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by nooj (Post 7533758)
tis just a turn of phrase dear heart... Thought it more pithy than, "somewhat annoying sort of on a par with being threatened by a badger but not as upsetting as having your foot caught in a mangle" :)

we haven't booked tickets yet- and have now decided on the Brussels route. One last jaunt through Europe I suppose.

EXCELLENT so see someone new to these boards with a sense of humor!

That'll be your most valuable asset in the coming weeks, months and years as you try to interact with the wonders of the US Immigration "system"!

nooj May 3rd 2009 7:59 am

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 7533929)
EXCELLENT so see someone new to these boards with a sense of humor!

That'll be your most valuable asset in the coming weeks, months and years as you try to interact with the wonders of the US Immigration "system"!

cheers- (although it seems shed loads of cash wouldn't hurt either!)

by the way love your cute US spelling!!!

dbj1000 May 3rd 2009 9:29 am

Originally Posted by nooj (Post 7536932)
cheers- (although it seems shed loads of cash wouldn't hurt either!)

by the way love your cute US spelling!!!

It's only "cute" the first time. Now that you've got it out of your system, I expect you to find it annoying in future. :D

tonrob May 3rd 2009 11:15 am

I got scared real bad by a badger once. :(

Complete nightmare it was.

CherylH May 19th 2009 11:45 am

Hi, it might be too late but if you don't want to go too far for your interview, why not go to somewhere like Dublin? That's what we're doing to avoid the long London wait time. You don't need a passport to travel to and from Dublin (from UK - just photo ID) and as long as you have a postal address in Dublin (we're lucky as OH's new company has branch there) you can head home and get your passports sent to the Dublin address. Just a thought - but I can see it won't work for everyone.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on (we've got our interview on 4 June...)

bjohn May 19th 2009 12:01 pm

Also - the London Embassy give you the last available appointment - if you ask nicely they do attempt to try and slot you in earlier, in cancelled spots etc. They don't seem to offer these unless you ask.