London Embassy - Hotel?

Old Mar 5th 2015, 10:50 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Embassy - Hotel?

Originally Posted by RICH
Finding a hotel/getting to the embassy IS part of the immigration process, and no doubt daunting for some.
I agree that getting to the Embassy is part of the immigration process, however finding a hotel is not. The OP has a computer, and I daresay it's fairly easy to map most hotels in London with a quick Google search. How hard can it be to find a hotel nearby given that he already knows where the Embassy is? I believe the fundamental issue here is that many people prefer not to do the research themselves... so it's much easier to ask others and relieve them of that responsibility.

Ian
Old Mar 6th 2015, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Markstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually Ian, you are quite correct. Having worked in London for 15 years, mostly around the West End and City areas, i am aware of Mayfair and the surrounding area, as i am of Google Maps.

Perhaps my original question should have been worded differently, but i tried to make it clear that i wasn't trying to "find" a hotel, i was merely trying to see if anyone that had experience of attending the Embassy for an interview also had good knowledge (and therefore a recommendation) of the local hotels (in terms of standards, facilities, price etc).

Apologies for wasting yours (or anyones) time with this, indeed apologies again for what is potentially a waste of time with you reading this post, but thanks once again for living up to your tag line.

Personally, i have found the British Expats forum incredibly useful as i have navigated my own way from zero to business purchase completion and actually making the move. I think if you check the number of posts that i have made, and the subject matter of those posts, that i've tried to keep my requests to a minimum and always tried to ensure that the location of the post is relevant. I hope so anyway.

But, in closing, i would just say (to anyone on the forum) that if you don't like the subject or content of someone's post, then why reply? Is it just to throw out a snide or self-righteous comment? Why bother....life's too short..... It's unlikely to be intentionally posted in the incorrect area and if something is indeed in the wrong area then one of the Admin's will move it. That happened to one of my posts, and there's still a pointer to the original post in the Immigration section of the forum, so what is the problem?

Admin's, please keep doing the fantastic job you are doing, providing a very worthwhile and extremely helpful information site to all of us brave souls that are just embarking (or trying to embark) on our overseas journeys. Experienced posters, especially Pulaski, thank you for all the help and assistance that you have given to me on my journey. I certainly couldn't have made it without you. I will continue to recommend this site as an invaluable source of information and guidance.

Ian, chill out, it's Friday.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

lyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura about

Well I thought it helpful to know which hotels other people have 'tried and tested'. And I do think it helps. I have read quite a few different threads on here that may or may not be considered an immigration issue. Could Deejames' post regarding taking dogs over be considered to not be an immigration issue, after all not everyone has pets and she, too, could have googled the information. But I found her post of value. Ian also didn't mind commenting on that post and I do like the way Ian will 'tell it how it is'. Mostly! But on this issue I think we need consider the fact that most of us are anxious enough about the Interview stage and it is some crumb of comfort to not have to worry that the hotel we may have booked isn't a right 'dive'. Each to his own though.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 2:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyndilou
..... I do like the way Ian will 'tell it how it is'. ......
Ian treats this sub-forum as his own personal fiefdom.

Old Mar 10th 2015, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

markcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I always stay in the Holiday Inn South Kensington when in London. It's quieter than central, has nice restaurants nearby and they have the best points scheme.

Breakfast in nice too.

It's also served by three tube lines. The Piccadilly is the one you want.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Markstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond reputeMarkstone492 has a reputation beyond repute

Just in case anyone is interested, we ended up staying in the Marriott Grosvenor Square. Although it was £309 for the night (plus a pre-auth of £100 for "incidentals"), it was a 2min walk to the Embassy in the morning. The staff were fantastic, really helpful, commented that they have lots of people staying there to attend the Embassy and we were able to leave our bags at the concierge on the morning of the interview for no additional charge. The room was basic, but immaculate, and the bed was very comfortable. TV channels were rubbish (and all low definition). The bathroom was small, but the shower was excellent. In case anyone wants snacks etc, but doesn't want to pay £4.50 for a can of pepsi in the mini-bar, there is a small convenience shop directly across from the hotel. It stocked loads of food (from crisps and snacks, to sandwiches and packs of ham/chicken etc, bread, rolls, etc etc), milk / other drinks, and also lots of other things. Hope that helps.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

lyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura about

So Markstone492 how did the interview go then? Hope it went smoothly, let us know!
Old Mar 14th 2015, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

A slightly heartstopping moment at the Embassy, but we got the 5yr visa....

I will do a separate post with our interview experience / E2 journey.