Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

London B1/B2 in Administrative Processing for 7 months

London B1/B2 in Administrative Processing for 7 months

Old Oct 22nd 2019, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

JamieTT is an unknown quantity at this point
Question London B1/B2 in Administrative Processing for 7 months

I've been to the US many times on ESTA and have never overstayed or got into trouble. However last year when I was due to go my ESTA was revoked (after I'd used it to travel already once). Never received any explanation why it was revoked. But I had to apply for B1/B2 visa for what was an upcoming business trip earlier this year. The interview seemed fine, but I was given a 221(g) form stating the officer wanted to see my ACRO. Which I supplied about a week later ("No Trace").

That was in March 2019, and the application has been in "Adminstrative Processing" ever since.

I understand that no one knows anything about AP and it can take years. My question is how long people have been waiting? Is 7 months normal or excessive?

I've emailed the petitions address a couple of times but they of course say they know nothing, nothing they can do, please stop asking. Note I'm a British citizen born in the UK, no criminal record. (I really wish I knew what I'm supposed to have done wrong, because I have literally no idea)
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London B1/B2 in Administrative Processing for 7 months

I don't think anything is really "normal" when administrative processing is involved because we, as outside observers, have no real idea of how the processing works and of course no idea what the true reason for it in your case is.

When you say your ESTA was revoked - what exactly happened? Was it simply that you submitted another ESTA application and it was declined?

There are a handful of people who have had long AP experiences on this forum but I don't think any or many have come back to tell us what happened. You either get through it and they issue you a visa or you get through it and they deny you. I think there was another thread last year where someone had been waiting for 9 months with no knowledge as to why, and I'm pretty sure it was for a work visa. I also think they got it in the end. I think in general, and I mean really general, if there's no genuine reason why you would be refused a visa, it'll probably work out in the end. There's no telling how long that'll take, and you are right in that it can go on for years.

It's possible that the ACRO request is because they think you might be someone else, probably because of the same name, that has come under scrutiny of ICE or USCIS.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

I stupidly didn't check the ESTA online before I went to the airport, thinking it had at least a year of validity left on it. It would have had a year of validity, but at some point between my previous flight and the flight I was planning to make it had been revoked (I didn't get any email or reason). So when I was at the check-in desk I received the news that I wouldn't be flying that day.

Same name might be an issue - James is common and so is my surname. Don't they also check date of birth etc? I can't believe they would strike out all the James T's in the world.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamieTT
I stupidly didn't check the ESTA online before I went to the airport, thinking it had at least a year of validity left on it. It would have had a year of validity, but at some point between my previous flight and the flight I was planning to make it had been revoked (I didn't get any email or reason). So when I was at the check-in desk I received the news that I wouldn't be flying that day.

Same name might be an issue - James is common and so is my surname. Don't they also check date of birth etc? I can't believe they would strike out all the James T's in the world.
When you say "thinking it had at least a year of validity" - are you sure about that? There's no possibility that you tried to fly after it expired? I'm curious what you were told at the check-in desk.

Did you try to apply for ESTA again between going for the B1/B2 interview? Did the consular officer refer to anything about your ESTA being revoked? I'm asking these questions as I'm wondering how conclusively you determined that you are no longer allowed an ESTA or whether this was just pieced together from what you were told at the check-in desk.

We know that the mechanisms they use to detect risky individuals are quite broad - they would rather inconvenience many individuals than accidentally let someone in that they don't want.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

ESTA lasts for 2 years and I'd obtained this one exactly one year previously, so I assumed it had another year to go. At the check-in desk it was "computer says no" with no explanation at all. I had to phone the travel agent from the airport who indicated it might be an ESTA problem, and then I checked on the ESTA website and found it had been revoked. I didn't apply for the ESTA again. Never had any explanation for why the ESTA was revoked, nor is there any factor I can think of that makes me a risky individual.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Do you know what sort of factors they would be looking at? I don't have a criminal record, or been arrested or done anything wrong apart from a few parking tickets. I've not been to any middle Eastern countries. I shouldn't have to say this, but I'm white British and if my family was any more Anglo-Saxon we'd all have to be buried in a long barrow.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

You're right about the 2 year thing but I was just wondering how sure you were that you were in date.

It's a bit late now but I definitely would have tried to re-apply for an ESTA at the point you found it was revoked.

It's not that you are risky, it's just most probable that you have some sort of likeness to someone that is risky.

Either that or it was some sort of genuine error that resulted in your ESTA being removed, and the embassy are as confused as you are, hence extended AP status and the ACRO request as they are trying to put 2+2 together. Given it's a tourist visa, you're on the bottom of the pile in terms of importance.

I know it's not the answer that you want, but there is one common thing for basically all extended AP experiences: there is a level of "what on earth is going on here". Unfortunately you're very unlikely to ever get an answer to that question, and there's nowt you can do but be patient.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

This forum takes a pretty ambivalent view to the idea that you should probably be under less scrutiny for being or not being a certain race. Whilst certain individuals may face more scrutiny as a result of their background, by and large, everyone who ends caught in the system gets treated the same. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions of individuals are processed by USICS/ICE/DHS every year, and the idea that a subset of society would more easily sail through would be impossible to implement without serious public backlash, irrespective of the political climate. The vastness just prevents it being practical to achieve.

Individuals deemed at risk come in many shapes, sizes and forms, and the mechanisms that aim to prevent them entering the US are applied very liberally, with a wide net. This means you are as likely as I am, or the stereotype of someone who might be prevented from entering the U.S., from getting caught in the system. There's nothing you can do.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 5:46 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiversaint
This forum takes a pretty ambivalent view to the idea that you should probably be under less scrutiny for being or not being a certain race. Whilst certain individuals may face more scrutiny as a result of their background, by and large, everyone who ends caught in the system gets treated the same. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions of individuals are processed by USICS/ICE/DHS every year, and the idea that a subset of society would more easily sail through would be impossible to implement without serious public backlash, irrespective of the political climate. The vastness just prevents it being practical to achieve.

Individuals deemed at risk come in many shapes, sizes and forms, and the mechanisms that aim to prevent them entering the US are applied very liberally, with a wide net. This means you are as likely as I am, or the stereotype of someone who might be prevented from entering the U.S., from getting caught in the system. There's nothing you can do.
What you are saying does not happen is pretty much exactly what happens. Now it may not be race driven, but if you look at the “race” profile of the the ESTA/VW program you will probably see a statistically significant trend... so the OP pretty much does have a built in advantage from being British. Being visa waiver eligibility most Brits pay their $14 and never give travel here a second thought.

I see the same entitlement from Americans visiting the UK/Europe, being confused that they have to join the ROW line for immigration not the short / quick UK/EU Citizen line...

Old Oct 22nd 2019, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tht
What you are saying does not happen is pretty much exactly what happens. Now it may not be race driven, but if you look at the “race” profile of the the ESTA/VW program you will probably see a statistically significant trend... so the OP pretty much does have a built in advantage from being British. Being visa waiver eligibility most Brits pay their $14 and never give travel here a second thought.

I see the same entitlement from Americans visiting the UK/Europe, being confused that they have to join the ROW line for immigration but the short / quick UK/EU Citizen line...
I see your point and agree with it, but it's not really what I'm saying, particularly given he's had his ESTA revoked....

I'm saying the mechanisms that assess risk are so wide net, it's blind to these aspects. Once you're in the system, it doesn't matter who you are.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

I certainly didn't mean to say that I expected free access to the US because of race, just to make the point that if they are doing racial profiling as one of their factors (and I don't think they should - but probably they do) then as I understand how it works that probably wouldn't be the factor.

Interesting what tht says about people believing they have a right to travel. I myselfdidn't give it a second thought until I was refused. I suppose many people don't think about it.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 6:57 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamieTT
I certainly didn't mean to say that I expected free access to the US because of race, just to make the point that if they are doing racial profiling as one of their factors (and I don't think they should - but probably they do) then as I understand how it works that probably wouldn't be the factor.

Interesting what tht says about people believing they have a right to travel. I myselfdidn't give it a second thought until I was refused. I suppose many people don't think about it.
Yes people in “western” countries do have it really easy. Other than for moving countries the only county I have ever needed to apply for a visa for before leaving (excluding ESTA) is India and I have been a lot of places. I also see “western”‘travelers abusing this, e.g. in Thailand my dive instructor was a Brit on a holiday visa doing “visa runs”’to Vietnam every 6 months, some westerners don’t think the rules apply to them if they are going to lower GDP countries.

It’s not so much race that’s the factor but economics and reciprocity. People from lower GDP countries are more likely to overstay / become economic migrants. VW basically allows Americans to travel to all those same countries and have a “visa on arrival” type setup with no or low cost.

Back to the actual racism, I have seen that as well, when getting my USC, I could see that I was treated differently than other people of another race, most notably by the security guard scanning people in. Now it may have been that he did this based on prior interactions with non english speaker before or it could have been more than that, but my treatment was different enough that I made a mental note of it and considered posting here about it.

Last edited by tht; Oct 22nd 2019 at 7:08 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2020, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

10 months and still waiting. The company I work for (which is US based) has filed a petition with one of the senators in the state where they are based because so many of their non-US employees are in this situation. We'll see if that has any effect.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 11:06 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Unlikely I'm afraid. All USCIS has to say is 'National Security' and that'll be the end of that.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

I wonder if it's something to do with your employer. We haven't seen a marked uptick in AP on this forum really, and I think we would if it was something happening to everyone. Sounds a bit suspicious that lots of your colleagues are in the same position. Might explain why your ESTA was revoked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.