Living in the US without working

Old Jan 29th 2011, 5:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in the US without working

Originally Posted by ..h
i had a look through the read me articles and couldnt find the info i was looking for.

I work for an American multinational oil company, I work 4 weeks on (africa, middle east, asia) and 4 weeks off. I currently live in the UK. So as a UK national (i am white british) can i move to the US and live if i work abroad and dont actually work while in the US? To clarify, i will stay in the US and live for 4 weeks, then travel to my place of work (abroad) work there, then travel home to the US to spend my time off. My wife will not work while in the US either.
Am i elidigle to live in the US and if so what visa are available to me?
Been to the US many times, love it there, i have family and many friends. Travelled a lot in the US, mainly the southern states.

My company has a policy of not transferring staff to any country unless their job is transferred.

many thanks..
If you check out some posts by user name TheRock, over in the US Immigration forum, you'll see he had a similar situation. He was visiting the USA regularly during his 4-week off rotation in his job. Eventually he was denied entry to the USA for trying to live in the USA without the proper visa.

He was engaged to marry a USC, which he eventually did, but it meant him not coming to the USA to visit during the processing time.

Rene
Old Jan 29th 2011, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ..h
What i meant to say was that i am not an immigrant to the UK.
My grandparents were immigrants to the UK... they were white! Speaking of white British, you wouldn't believe how many of them leave the UK and try to get to the US... mostly because they don't like the new immigrants to the UK. A bit ironic, that, eh... becoming an immigrant because they don't like immigrants!

Ian
Old Jan 29th 2011, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
My grandparents were immigrants to the UK... they were white! Speaking of white British, you wouldn't believe how many of them leave the UK and try to get to the US... mostly because they don't like the new immigrants to the UK. A bit ironic, that, eh... becoming an immigrant because they don't like immigrants!

Ian
My Grandparents migrated to England as well.

71 years ago.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
My Grandparents migrated to England as well.
I should have been more specific... my grandparents, who couldn't read English, got on a boat thinking they were going to NY's Ellis Island... and ended up in Glasgow instead... 1915.

Ian
Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I should have been more specific... my grandparents, who couldn't read English, got on a boat thinking they were going to NY's Ellis Island... and ended up in Glasgow instead... 1915.

Ian
Not sure speaking English would have helped in Glasgow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k7VoFiagfs
Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k7VoFiagfs
Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:06 am
Account Closed

You owe me a new monitor... I just spewed Coke all over mine! Brilliant!

Ian
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

can i move to the US and live if i work abroad and dont actually work while in the US? To clarify, i will stay in the US and live for 4 weeks, then travel to my place of work (abroad) work there, then travel home to the US to spend my time off. .
As you probably know by now, the visa waiver program would likely be your only option. Frequent visits are allowed,end even encouraged. A regular pattern of four weeks in the US followed by a longer period out of the country would probably be acceptable to the immigration authorities, especially if you're in your 50s or 60s.

Just don't describe yourself as "living in the US". Each time you entered you'd be a visitor.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:41 am
..h
Just Joined

..h is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
As you probably know by now, the visa waiver program would likely be your only option. Frequent visits are allowed,end even encouraged. A regular pattern of four weeks in the US followed by a longer period out of the country would probably be acceptable to the immigration authorities, especially if you're in your 50s or 60s.

Just don't describe yourself as "living in the US". Each time you entered you'd be a visitor.
well i am still in my 30s but have been discussing things with my wife...i am from the Glasgow area....(nice posts about Glasgow btw..made me laugh) and we may well just decide to visit a lot more often rather than actually live in the US. I do believe we can still buy a property there and i suppose live in it for 5 months of the year on and off, not really after an american passport as such as thats not a good thing when you work in the middle east...
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:46 am
..h
Just Joined

..h is an unknown quantity at this point

As a direct response to the question about 20% of the US population currently manage it.
hey, i just got that...funny.

no, i am not intending to claim social security or anything like that, i have my own cash...
Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:19 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ..h
well i am still in my 30s but have been discussing things with my wife...i am from the Glasgow area....(nice posts about Glasgow btw..made me laugh) and we may well just decide to visit a lot more often rather than actually live in the US. I do believe we can still buy a property there and i suppose live in it for 5 months of the year on and off, not really after an american passport as such as thats not a good thing when you work in the middle east...
Still risky. The more you visit (especially if you end up spending just under 50% of your time in the States) then the more hassle you could end up getting on each entry. If you keep this up for too long then it's not beyond the realms of possibility that you end up getting denied entry, at which point you can't use the VWP again. You then apply for a B2 - if that's denied then you own a house you can't visit (even to get it ready to sell). Make sure you know how comfortable you are with that risk before proceeding.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:20 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Encouraged? How?
Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

Visitors are encouraged. They have money and help the economy.

I wasn't suggesting the OP spends half his time in the US, I'm suggesting he visits as a tourist. Many people are frequent visitors, and don't get any hassle from immigration.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:07 pm
Septic Sprout

Visitors are encouraged. They have money and help the economy.

I wasn't suggesting the OP spends half his time in the US, I'm suggesting he visits as a tourist. Many people are frequent visitors, and don't get any hassle from immigration.
I was asking how people were encouraged to visit frequently. I haven't heard of the CBP trying to drive frequency, and they're the only body that matters in this situation.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:11 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Many people are frequent visitors, and don't get any hassle from immigration.
Many people were frequent visitors but no longer are because they did get hassle from immigration.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.