Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Living in the US on a B2 co-habbiting visa?

Living in the US on a B2 co-habbiting visa?

Old Dec 11th 2011, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Pommyboi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in the US on a B2 co-habbiting visa?

Hi all,

I've been looking on various forums but I'm struggling to see anyone discussing the practicalities of living in the USA on a B2 cohabiting visa.

My partner (we're a same sex couple) is being offered a job in Chicago for a 2 year period, the company will arrange the internal transfer from the UK, L1 visa, pay relocation costs etc I don't need to work as he will support me and I have my own funds.

I understand from all my reading on the web that I can get a B2 cohabiting visa which will enable me to visit for 6 months or 12 months as long as I don't do any work and only volunteer for genuine volunteer positions (never paid with no benefits). I also understand you can get a B2 visa marked for “STUDY INCIDENTAL TO VISIT--Form I-20 NOT REQUIRED.” but it seems unclear if this applies to both a B2 Tourist visa and a B2 co-habbhabiting visa, study also seems limited to 17 hours of English lessons which I hope I don't need! But I would be happy to learn Spanish etc as a way of meeting people and using my brain.

The question is - if you are on a B2 visa with the restrictions I've mentioned above what do you do all day and keep mentally and physically stimulated?? Do you do any education at all in the limited way I have mentioned above? Having no kids to keep me busy I'm worried I'll be bored to death for 2 years

thanks in advance
Old Dec 12th 2011, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Living in the US on a B2 co-habbiting visa?

Sorry, I dont know about the ins and outs of visas but I do know about keeping busy! There is a whole different attitude to volunteer work in the US. It`s not just an occupation for those with "time on their hands", but it`s encouraged that generally people "give back". I`m involved with a food pantry that feeds the homeless through my church which feeds homeless people a lunch every day, between 20-40 clients, 70+ when the recession first hit. I`ve also applied for gallery and museum voluntary work as thats my line of business. I`m sure in Chicago there are many opportunities to volunteer.

There will also be many college courses and chances for further education, as in the UK. At uni level be aware that there will be two levels of fees "in-state" and "out of state" which can be very expensive and usually applies to non US citizens, and can put the kybosh on that idea.
Also, give some consideration (I speak from experience) to what it will do to your relationship when one of you becomes the major breadwinner!!!!!
Apart from that it can be a fabulous experience to live in a major USA city for a period of time. It maybe a chance in a lifetime, and there`ll be loads to do. Good luck!
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I can't comment on the B-2 Cohabitating Visa directly, however, a quick google search found this link for Chicago's Discovery Center, an adult education program. Looks like lots of classes to be had at reasonable prices. A great alternative to University programs that can cost an arm and a leg. (Keep in mind that the "Recreational" classes will not net you any University type credits.) But, definitely a start in keeping busy.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 3:05 am
Just Joined

Thanks. I noticed the Discovery Centre in Chicago and a few other colleges but you can't even take a course if you might get credits towards a better qualification that requires a different visa type so it does reduce options.

It's good to hear that volunteering could keep me occupied and something I will start looking into.

This afternoon my partner spoke to the US HR Director who said they will investigate sponsoring me on a B1 visa, so I will have to look into that in more detail and the options it might open up*

* I don't think a B1 visa is applicable to me as I can't get gainful employment on that type of visa

Last edited by Pommyboi; Dec 12th 2011 at 3:07 am.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Just about all museums, galleries, theatres etc have volunteer programmes, you`d be amazed! There are also "docent" programs where you are trained to give guided tours. There are also many environmental projects and organisations helping those less fortunate. It`s also a great way to meet people.
I`m in Washington DC with my husbands job, been here a while. Could work but have opted not to. I keep busy with volunteering, lunch with friends, choir singing and housework and all the usual stuff .
Whatever you enjoy doing (or would like to learn in future) is covered.
The only downside is that I`ve taken time out of my career and have yet to find whether this will count against me when I go back to the UK. It may, it may not!
Old Dec 12th 2011, 5:14 am
Just Joined

It already sounds a little better jemima55! I wasn't sure I could watch cable TV all day

Thanks
Old Dec 12th 2011, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

In the meantime, buy many warm clothes!
Old Dec 12th 2011, 6:26 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pommyboi
This afternoon my partner spoke to the US HR Director who said they will investigate sponsoring me on a B1 visa, so I will have to look into that in more detail and the options it might open up
The B-1 is a "visit for business" visa. The term "business" is different than "work". Unless you are able to secure an employment-based visa (which the B-1 isn't) on your own, the B-2 cohabiting visa is the best that's available to you.

Ian
Old Dec 12th 2011, 12:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Same shit state as those on H4's are on. There are loads of threads about what folks on that visa do.

Good luck with the move!
Old Dec 12th 2011, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dont want to get rid of you, heavens we`ve only just met, but you might get more answers by posting on the US Immigration and visas forum! It`s just more specific and others will be/have been in your situation.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Karen68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really nice

Oh, I would love to be in Chicago for 2 years and unable to work. I've loved every visit I've made there, even one in the winter! I am sure that you will be able to find some really worthwhile volunteer work as Chicago is certainly not without its problems. I would suggest the homeless charities running soup kitchens, etc., or Big Brothers Big Sisters, which is a mentoring programme for underprivileged kids. Enjoy your time there, make the most of it!
Old Dec 12th 2011, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Same shit state as those on H4's are on. There are loads of threads about what folks on that visa do.

Good luck with the move!
Post on BE all day
Old Dec 12th 2011, 1:03 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pommyboi
I also understand you can get a B2 visa marked for “STUDY INCIDENTAL TO VISIT--Form I-20 NOT REQUIRED.” but it seems unclear if this applies to both a B2 Tourist visa and a B2 co-habbhabiting visa, study also seems limited to 17 hours of English lessons which I hope I don't need! But I would be happy to learn Spanish etc as a way of meeting people and using my brain.
You can study part-time on B-2, I've never seen a B-2 annotated that way but it's pretty well established that part-time study is permitted, e.g. you go on vacation and do a cookery class, that's the classic example.

If you're actually going to study you might want to just get an F-1, which also allows part-time employment on-campus.

One piece of advice I can give you is that the POE, get the CBP inspector to stamp the I-94 to allow a year's admission. They are permitted to do this, but some are unfamiliar with co-habiting partners and how B-2 works. Will save you the hassle of filing an I-539 after six months.

If he won't do it, ask to speak to the supervisor in secondary inspection. Will save you the application fee or a drive up to Canada.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 1:11 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I've moved this to our Immigration and Visa section where you might get some more specific information on the ins and outs of the visa you are seeking and how others have dealt with the time on the hands / "non-working" aspects of those visas.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Volunteer work means something not normarily paid - think soup kitchens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.