Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Live in the US on L2 visa while continuing to work for UK employer

Live in the US on L2 visa while continuing to work for UK employer

Old Mar 31st 2014, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Live in the US on L2 visa while continuing to work for UK employer

Hi all,

I have not posted on here in a long time - but when I was on L1, my company had some kind of covering note which allowed them to continue paying social taxes in the UK and no FICA taxes in the US. My salary was paid here in USD and I was subject to US federal and state income tax but at the end of the year they tax equalized me.

The equalization part might be more than what an employer might be willing to do but being able to pay UK social taxes might help.

However - if there is any chance that you want to stay here in the US and try for a greencard, might be best just to pay all local taxes here (you'll probably find that they are lower that what you would pay back in the UK anyway).
Old Mar 31st 2014, 11:56 am
dodgin' the potholes

1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute

I'm coming around to the fact that i'll have to register and pay income tax for the period of time spent over in the US. That way I can get a social security number etc. which sounds like a "must have" item if you want to practically live and work over there.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 12:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1206butler
I'm coming around to the fact that I'll have to register and pay income tax for the period of time spent over in the US. .....
Congratulations on coming to terms with reality.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 1:31 pm
dodgin' the potholes

1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Congratulations on coming to terms with reality.
thanks very much
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 10:01 am
LHT
Just Joined

LHT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ziggy77
Sorry I'm not really an further on with this, waiting for the visa process to be kicked off, no point getting to far ahead of myself.

I'm hoping to continue working for my current company but in a subcontracting role, after having taken a break while waiting for my EAD to come through. Tax etc obviously being paid through the US.
Hi,
I think I am in the same situation.
Moving to Boston in July on L2 visa and keen to continue working for UK employer. Think I need to set myself up as sole trader and contract back. Have started to look around the site - http://www.mass.gov/portal/business/start-business/ to get my head around what's involved. Wonder if you are further down line and have any advice. Particularly interested if there are umbrella companies you can use to manage tax etc as in UK?

Good Luck!
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 11:51 am
dodgin' the potholes

Smile Re: Live in the US on L2 visa while continuing to work for UK employer

My wife has just officially been offered the job in Atlanta, so I assume we'll be moving in around 3 months time. My wife will be on an L1 and i'll be on an L2 visa and living out there 2-3 years before we return to the UK. I'm employed as a graphic designer here and simply want to carry on working whilst we're over there (I work from home).

But yes, registering as a sole trader and contracting back sounds like the thing to do. I'm just hoping we can get visas, social security and a work permit sorted for a smooth transition.

I plan to contact a tax advisor in Atlanta to get some advice. I'll let you know how it goes in case any of it is of any use!
Old Jun 6th 2014, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Ziggy77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I've not been about much lately, just noticed your replies.

I'm not any further any along at this stage, we are still waiting for them to kick off the visa process.

But my plan at this stage is as you've both mention to set up as a sole trader and then subcontract for my current employer.

The paying taxes etc is what worries me the most about it all if I'm honest, but I've not really taken the time at this stage to look into it fully.