Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Listing serious conviction on I-129F

Listing serious conviction on I-129F

Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

babybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to all
Default Listing serious conviction on I-129F

just wondering if anyone else here has been in this situation

my fiance has a serious conviction - the time is all served and dues paid etc - but it will have to be listed on the c section of the 1-129f

is this likely to prevent us from getting permission for me to come and marry him in the usa?

other than that - i have a good job - he has a job and a home - we have known one another 18 years

its really worrying me

but id rather do a fianceee visa than get married and THEN find out i cant live with him

any advice or info appreciated and i hope youll be kind enough not to judge
Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Listing serious conviction on I-129F

Originally Posted by babybyrd

my fiance has a serious conviction - the time is all served and dues paid etc - but it will have to be listed on the c section of the 1-129f

is this likely to prevent us from getting permission for me to come and marry him in the usa?

other than that - i have a good job - he has a job and a home - we have known one another 18 years

its really worrying me

but id rather do a fianceee visa than get married and THEN find out i cant live with him

Hi babybyrd, Welcome to BE.

It might depend what the conviction is for. Understandable if you don't want to say, but without knowing, there's no way to tell if it will affect the I-129F.

Rene
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Babybyrd,

Just to clarify - your fiance is the USC and your're in the UK, correct?

If is this way round then I think it changes the coplection of the situation, as you would be the applicant for the visa into the USA, not him. Quite how it changes it though remains to be seen.....
Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Since you say "it will have to be listed" I presume that you have already verified that it falls into one of the categories listed on the I-129F.

I am not sure that this is something that anyone here is going to be able to give you meaninigful advice on other than to say that your fiancee should probably consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review all of the facts that pertain to your specific case and who may be able to advise you about the potential problems (if any) that you might face.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YouWantFriesWithThat
Hi Babybyrd,

Just to clarify - your fiance is the USC and your're in the UK, correct?

If is this way round then I think it changes the coplection of the situation, as you would be the applicant for the visa into the USA, not him. Quite how it changes it though remains to be seen.....
Section C of the I-129F is asking about the applicant's (ie the US citizen's) criminal history with respect to certain types of offense (ranging from domestic violence, rape, kidnapping and murder down to "Three or more convictions for crimes relating to a controlled substance or alcohol not arising from a single act")
Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Section C of the I-129F is asking about the applicant's (ie the US citizen's) criminal history with respect to certain types of offense (ranging from domestic violence, rape, kidnapping and murder down to "Three or more convictions for crimes relating to a controlled substance or alcohol not arising from a single act")
Yes, although technically the USC is the petitioner and the UKC is the applicant but anyway......... The original point I was making was that if it's the USC with the 'criminal history' then it may change the mechanics of assessment as opposed to, for example, if it were the alien fiance with the 'criminal history' who wanted to come to the USA. Quite how this might change things is hard to say without further info from the OP. I agree with your ealier comment that the OP & fiance would be best served by discussing with an immigration lawyer.

Last edited by YouWantFriesWithThat; Sep 16th 2009 at 10:03 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:04 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

There's nothing "technical" about it. That's exactly how it is.

Regards, JEff

Yes, although technically the USC is the petitioner and the UKC is the applicant but anyway.........
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:10 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

His convictions/prison time in the US will have no bearing on you coming to the US as his fiancee or wife.

Your good job in the UK probably has no bearing on the matter - his job and income will have bearing as he will be the personal who is your financial sponsor. Unless you are doing an international company transfer - then your salary may have a bearing as it may be taken into account. But lets not go down that avenue yet.

its really worrying me

Your comments?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112

His convictions/prison time in the US will have no bearing on you coming to the US as his fiancee or wife.
I think his convictions MIGHT have some bearing on whether the I-129F can be filed or not. It depends what the convictions are for.

Your good job in the UK probably has no bearing on the matter - his job and income will have bearing as he will be the personal who is your financial sponsor. Unless you are doing an international company transfer - then your salary may have a bearing as it may be taken into account. But lets not go down that avenue yet.
She's not doing an international company transfer. They are trying to begin the K-1 fiance visa process.

Rene
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I think his convictions MIGHT have some bearing on whether the I-129F can be filed or not. It depends what the convictions are for.

She's not doing an international company transfer. They are trying to begin the K-1 fiance visa process.

Rene

What crimes can a USC commit that would prohibit them from petitioning for a fiancee? Even if he/she had child abuse convictions, all the Adam Walsh Act does it makes it known to the foreign fiancee/spouse. It is then their decision to continue the relationship with the USC or not.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
What crimes can a USC commit that would prohibit them from petitioning for a fiancee? Even if he/she had child abuse convictions, all the Adam Walsh Act does it makes it known to the foreign fiancee/spouse. It is then their decision to continue the relationship with the USC or not.
Oh, OK....my bad....I thought something like that would stop the I-129F.

So that's good news for the OP!

Rene
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
There's nothing "technical" about it. That's exactly how it is.

Regards, JEff

We've always held that for the I-129F, the USC is the petitioner and the alien is the beneficiary. With regard to the K-1, the alien is the petitioner.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
We've always held that for the I-129F, the USC is the petitioner and the alien is the beneficiary. With regard to the K-1, the alien is the petitioner.
I agree with 2 thirds of that

The way I understood it was the USC is always the petitioner. The alien fiance, for the I-129f, is the beneficiary. After approval of the petition, the alien fiance then becomes the applicant.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 12:47 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

After approval of the petition, the alien fiance then becomes the applicant.
Well, I think the beneficiary is always the applicant (when that time comes), but I know what you are saying and you are correct.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

babybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to all

wow i didnt expect so many replies so quickly
thanks everyone
yes i am in the uk and a uk citizen - he is the us citizen

the reason i say i have a good job is that i will be keeping it - i am intending to stay emplyed in the uk - travel out of the usa for a month to do my work - then come back to usa for a month off - - my work contract allows that

the question about crime on the form is - as far as i understand it - about him and not about myself

RET i take great heart from your post and i am off to google 'adam walsh act' right now

thanks again everyone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.