Limiting Citizenship

Old Aug 7th 2018, 5:30 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Limiting Citizenship

Not sure if this will affect me getting citizenship in a few years time:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/imm...m_npd_nn_fb_ma

Whilst I haven't received any government benefits (not paid enough into the system), my US wife did a few years ago (prior to me meeting her), when she was unemployed. My wife is obviously worried by this article. Personally, I'll just wait and see (what else can I do)?

At the moment, it looks more to be 'race' related.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 5:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Limiting Citizenship

Your naturalization eligibility is based on YOU and not on your wife. Besides her government benefits was probably unemployment benefits, which she paid into while working. It was not a hand out nor is it means tested benefit.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 12:12 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering how any GC holder can obtain means-tested benefits anyway. Soon after I arrived, hubby (USC) tried to claim food stamps during his down season. He's a landscaper and his wages go down significantly in the winter. As soon as they heard his wife is a GC holder it was game over before he had even finished filling out the form. He was told quite categorically that he cannot claim means-tested benefits because it is automatically assumed - in the case of married couples - that the benefits will be shared as we live under the same roof. So if a USC married to a GC holder cannot claim, how can any non-citizen legally claim?

So so it's not something I'm concerned about.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 11:42 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The public charge limitation that applies to immigrant visas does not currently apply to N400 applications, and that cannot be changed unilaterally without Congress because it is set down in law in the INA. I don't see what the fuss is about.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember a lot of the stuff on line is politically motivated and should be take with a bucket of salt.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 2:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
I'm wondering how any GC holder can obtain means-tested benefits anyway. Soon after I arrived, hubby (USC) tried to claim food stamps during his down season. He's a landscaper and his wages go down significantly in the winter. As soon as they heard his wife is a GC holder it was game over before he had even finished filling out the form. He was told quite categorically that he cannot claim means-tested benefits because it is automatically assumed - in the case of married couples - that the benefits will be shared as we live under the same roof. So if a USC married to a GC holder cannot claim, how can any non-citizen legally claim?

So so it's not something I'm concerned about.
It does happen and most often in it due to accepting Medicaid. One former poster of this forum had breast cancer. Husband was confined to a wheelchair due to a broken neck and could not walk. He was on social security disability and Medicaid. She had a green card and no healthcare insurance. The hospital social workers got her on Medicaid to pay all the medical costs of her testing, surgery, medications, chemo, radiation. That is similar to the Haitian immigrant who got Medicaid to help his daughter in the article. This former poster never naturalized, never had the money for the fee and no means to get to Pittsburgh for the test/interview. If this were to pass should she be rejected? Who knows.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
It does happen and most often in it due to accepting Medicaid. One former poster of this forum had breast cancer. Husband was confined to a wheelchair due to a broken neck and could not walk. He was on social security disability and Medicaid. She had a green card and no healthcare insurance. The hospital social workers got her on Medicaid to pay all the medical costs of her testing, surgery, medications, chemo, radiation. That is similar to the Haitian immigrant who got Medicaid to help his daughter in the article. This former poster never naturalized, never had the money for the fee and no means to get to Pittsburgh for the test/interview. If this were to pass should she be rejected? Who knows.
I have seen quite a few posts where people bring over elderly parents and want to know what benefits they can get.

In some places you can apply as a GC holder for Medicaid from day 1
Old Aug 9th 2018, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
The public charge limitation that applies to immigrant visas does not currently apply to N400 applications, and that cannot be changed unilaterally without Congress because it is set down in law in the INA. I don't see what the fuss is about.
However, there is a public charge ground of deportability in the INA, INA 237(a)(5), that says people who become a public charge within 5 years of entry are deportable, unless they can show it is due to causes that arose after entry. So depending on how they change the definition of public charge, it can affect green card holders applying for naturalization, because you can't naturalize if you are being deported.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 6:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by newacct
However, there is a public charge ground of deportability in the INA, INA 237(a)(5), that says people who become a public charge within 5 years of entry are deportable, unless they can show it is due to causes that arose after entry. So depending on how they change the definition of public charge, it can affect green card holders applying for naturalization, because you can't naturalize if you are being deported.
Hmm

Did not know that so thanks

So in my State Medicaid for example require 5 years so ties in.

States like California who supply it from Day 1 also make the Immigrant deportable.

Way to go California.
Old Aug 10th 2018, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

MarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Limiting Citizenship

I have been researching this topic myself having re-immigrated back to the USA April 2017 - a long story, but I am back! I just signed up for Covered CA as I had changed jobs and no longer had health care benefits and fit all other requirements such as lower income.

A lawful permanent resident (green card holder) is eligible for Medi-Cal regardless of their date of entry if they meet all other eligibility requirements. Under currentMedi-Cal policy, eligible green card holders get full scope Medi-Cal in California even if they have been in the United States for less than 5 years.Jun 24, 2015

From the PUblic Charge USCIS Fact Sheet

Benefits Not Subject to Public Charge Consideration

Under the agency guidance, non-cash benefits and special-purpose cash benefits that are not intended for income maintenance are not subject to public charge consideration. Such benefits include:
  • Medicaid and other health insurance and health services (including public assistance for immunizations and for testing and treatment of symptoms of communicable diseases, use of health clinics, short-term rehabilitation services, prenatal care and emergency medical services) other than support for long-term institutional care
If anyone has any further information on this topic I would be grateful to hear it.

Old Aug 10th 2018, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
The plan is to redefine "public charge". They could go back and Rescind AOS. But they have a 5 year limitation on that (and Rescission is rarely used, although that could change). As for the impact on Naturalization, USCIS would have to make an argument that there was fraud in the original immigrant petition,or somehow there was abuse of welfare benefits which would lead the applicant to fail the Good Moral Character test. But if the original petition was legitimate, and the LPR did not abuse welfare/medicaid, the redefinition of "public charge" should not affect Naturalization.
Old Aug 10th 2018, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

MarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond reputeMarieTh has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you that is also good to know - I hope to apply for my citizenship just as soon as I can, been back now 1.5 years and counting
Old Aug 11th 2018, 1:13 am
Account Closed

I have seen cases recently where they have asked for Medical Insurance details for elderly parents, might be an issue if you supply all this and sign up for Medicaid on arrival.
Old Aug 11th 2018, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarieTh
I have been researching this topic myself having re-immigrated back to the USA April 2017 - a long story, but I am back! I just signed up for Covered CA as I had changed jobs and no longer had health care benefits and fit all other requirements such as lower income.

A lawful permanent resident (green card holder) is eligible for Medi-Cal regardless of their date of entry if they meet all other eligibility requirements. Under currentMedi-Cal policy, eligible green card holders get full scope Medi-Cal in California even if they have been in the United States for less than 5 years.Jun 24, 2015

From the PUblic Charge USCIS Fact Sheet

Benefits Not Subject to Public Charge Consideration

Under the agency guidance, non-cash benefits and special-purpose cash benefits that are not intended for income maintenance are not subject to public charge consideration. Such benefits include:
  • Medicaid and other health insurance and health services (including public assistance for immunizations and for testing and treatment of symptoms of communicable diseases, use of health clinics, short-term rehabilitation services, prenatal care and emergency medical services) other than support for long-term institutional care
If anyone has any further information on this topic I would be grateful to hear it.

Yes, under the current guidance, non-cash benefits like Medicaid, WIC, CHIP, Food Stamps, Obamacare subsidies, etc. are not considered for public charge determinations. That's what this proposed rule is trying to change; all those non-cash means-tested benefits will be considered for public charge determinations under the new rule. You can find a draft text of the proposal from March (Google for "Read the Trump administration’s draft proposal penalizing immigrants who accept almost any public benefit"; I don't have enough posts to post links). They haven't actually published an official proposed rule yet.

On page 209-210 of that draft it says benefits that were not considered under the previous guidance (e.g. non-cash benefits) will not be considered as long as you don't use them after 60 days after the final rule is published. So this is only for going forward, not benefits you received in the past.

Most of the draft is about public charge inadmissibility. But since you are a permanent resident, you don't care so much about inadmissibilty (unless you leave the US for more than 180 days, since shorter absences do not count as seeking admission) as deportability. The draft doesn't say much about deportability; on page 220 they started a new section about public charge deportability, but didn't finish it -- it just says "[TO BE INSERTED]", so we will have to see a more finished text to know how they are going to handle it.
Old Aug 11th 2018, 9:44 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I note with interest that there is also a provision on page 208 for checking the applicants credit history and credit score in relation to the public charge determination, that's never been the case before as far as I am aware.

Last edited by civilservant; Aug 11th 2018 at 9:46 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.