British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   L2 visa - Police assault caution in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/l2-visa-police-assault-caution-uk-895634/)

Macnamara Apr 19th 2017 11:00 am

L2 visa - Police assault caution in UK

Morning all,

A fairly simple question, what impact, if any will having an assault caution have on my visa? My wife is over seas in California already and I'll be applying for my visa in July (work contract ends then) to move over to her.

My caution took place in the last 5 years, I was arrested at my home, taken to the police station and spent the night in a cell. Questioned in the morning and let off with a caution. It was a drunken fight with a friend who reported assault (not exactly how it went down, but hey ho). I've no other criminal offence and not really one for violence. It was just a terrible situation which I should have walked away from.

Anyway, I'll obviously declare it, but is this type of caution going to instantly cause my application to be invalid and I'll be denied? I've applied for an ESTA as I'm visiting in May and that went through without a hiccup but I understand that's nowhere near as detailed.

Finally, what information will I need on the assault when I declare it? Will I need exact dates etc?

Thank you

Macnamara Apr 19th 2017 12:40 pm

Re: L2 visa - Police assault caution in UK

After more research, I've found out I have to apply for a ACRO police certificate which I'll do. Not sure how this impacts on the visa in terms of doing it months in advance. But I'd rather get it sorted now than later.

boltonreddave Apr 19th 2017 12:53 pm

You should be fine with this, it may not even show on the ACRO, I had 2 cautions, or so I thought, and had NO TRACE but I still declared them on the DS160 anyway. Look through my posts from late 2015 for info.

Macnamara Apr 19th 2017 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by boltonreddave (Post 12232679)
You should be fine with this, it may not even show on the ACRO, I had 2 cautions, or so I thought, and had NO TRACE but I still declared them on the DS160 anyway. Look through my posts from late 2015 for info.

Thank you, in my experience with visa's (Asian and Aus), it's best to declare it anyway. I'll check out your posts.

Macnamara Apr 19th 2017 2:17 pm

Read through your posts, I've some confidence now. One thing I noted upon my reading is that the appointments to the embassy can be months! I was under the impression it's pretty much a week after you book your embassy appointment that you get seen to?