Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L2 Visa Holder, can you work without an EAD

L2 Visa Holder, can you work without an EAD

Old May 8th 2013, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

DanEmWill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L2 Visa Holder, can you work without an EAD

Hi everyone,

We have finally landed in the US and I have started to work as the L1 visa holder, however my question is whether it is possible for my husband to work before he receives his EAD authorisation?

Thanks
Old May 8th 2013, 8:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L2 Visa Holder, can you work without an EAD

Originally Posted by DanEmWill
Hi everyone,

We have finally landed in the US and I have started to work as the L1 visa holder, however my question is whether it is possible for my husband to work before he receives his EAD authorisation?

Thanks
Not legally, no. But if he wants to try, it will depend on the employer. If the employer is willing to hire your husband without filling out an I-9, and knowing he's not legally authorized to work, it will be the employer who gets in trouble.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; May 8th 2013 at 8:05 pm.
Old May 8th 2013, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

bilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to behold

Nope,

Not unless he is authorised to "work" using a different way (USC, H1B, etc. )

And nope, he's not even allowed to "work" for a UK company or via the internet......

he can however volunteer, as long as the job isn't "paid" for any other person, by money, goods, food etc

It will take approx 3 months after application ( but could take longer)

I was the L2 and didn't work for the first 6 months..... it was fun to start with, but got a bit lonely after a while...

Good luck with your new adventure

A
Old May 8th 2013, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Not legally, no. But if he wants to try, it will depend on the employer. If the employer is willing to hire your husband without filling out an I-9, and knowing he's not legally authorized to work, it will be the employer who gets in trouble.

Rene
It's a bad plan for the husband too. He'll have to either declare it on future immigration applications, or lie about it.. either way, not good.
Old May 8th 2013, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

DanEmWill is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone, I thought No would be the answer, but did wonder if there was a way round it, he is getting increasingly bored!!!
Old May 8th 2013, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanEmWill
Thanks everyone, I thought No would be the answer, but did wonder if there was a way round it, he is getting increasingly bored!!!
Does he have a job lined up already? If not, he could be looking. Just won't be able to actually start the job until he gets his EAD.

Several years ago, my wife was going through the green card process and she applied for EAD as well. While waiting for the EAD, she was searching for a job. We knew approximately how long the EAD would take, so she could tell potential employers when she'd be able to start. When she received the EAD, she started her new job the following Monday.

- Eric S.