L2 visa & EAD

Old Oct 17th 2007, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

wowbagga is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L2 visa & EAD

Hi,
just got transferred to US from SA with my company. My long term partner has a n L2 visa and has visited US on it. Now she is going to be moving here and wants to work as a nurse. Does she just apply for an EAD when she gets here or are there any other things she needs to do/have to be allowed to get a job.
thanks
Old Oct 17th 2007, 8:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L2 visa & EAD

Originally Posted by wowbagga
Hi,
just got transferred to US from SA with my company. My long term partner has a n L2 visa and has visited US on it. Now she is going to be moving here and wants to work as a nurse. Does she just apply for an EAD when she gets here or are there any other things she needs to do/have to be allowed to get a job.
thanks
She can file form I-765 for her EAD once she gets to the USA on the L2. Once she has the EAD, she can apply for a Social Security number. She can work using the EAD + a letter from SS saying she's applied for the SSN.

Rene
Old Oct 17th 2007, 9:20 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Once she has the EAD, she can apply for a Social Security number.
That was very nice of you to answer, Rene. Since there are like, 5 current threads on the topic running.

She can apply for her SS# before EAD. Details posted in one of those threads.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 9:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

might want to search for threads on nursing too because you need to be certified, it's not just a case of having an EAD by itself.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

wowbagga is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the quick replies. I realise that this may be a common issue but everyone's circumstances are slightly different and that's what makes people ask the question their way. My concen after reading a lot of the posts is the fact that she is my de facto spouse and we don't have a marriage certificate. (Although that didn't seem to bother the US Consular official at the interview!) Do they always request that as evidence or is the fact that she already has an L2 visa good enough?
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere...
Old Oct 17th 2007, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Do they always request that as evidence or is the fact that she already has an L2 visa good enough?
I always thought that an L2 visa was a dependent visa for a spouse or minor child of an L1 visa holder. How did she get an L2 visa if you are not married? The US does not recognize domestic partnerships where immigration is concerned.

Ian
Old Oct 17th 2007, 11:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I always thought that an L2 visa was a dependent visa for a spouse or minor child of an L1 visa holder. How did she get an L2 visa if you are not married? The US does not recognize domestic partnerships where immigration is concerned.

Ian
Yes, I'm curious too. I thought the OP was referring to the L-2 holder as being a spouse (just in his own terms).

I also thought a formal marriage certificate would have been needed.

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2007, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, I'm curious too. I thought the OP was referring to the L-2 holder as being a spouse (just in his own terms).

I also thought a formal marriage certificate would have been needed.

Rene
I'm going to second that curiosity... How did you get an L2 visa for your partner? L2 visa's are indeed only available for the spouse and dependant children of the L1 visa holder and only the spouse is able to obtain an EAD.

I would be very careful here... If they find out that you are not married, god only knows what they will do. It may even be interpreted as visa fraud which could possibly result in both your visa's being canceled and you both having to leave the US.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 4:20 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

You will need a marriage certificate I suspect to get a SSN
Old Oct 18th 2007, 4:37 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the quick replies. I realise that this may be a common issue but everyone's circumstances are slightly different and that's what makes people ask the question their way. My concen after reading a lot of the posts is the fact that she is my de facto spouse and we don't have a marriage certificate. (Although that didn't seem to bother the US Consular official at the interview!) Do they always request that as evidence or is the fact that she already has an L2 visa good enough?
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere...
What did you tell the US Consular official at the interview, given that they don't recognize domestic partnerships? I do hope you didn't mislead him/her. It could come back to bite you big time if you did.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ivonne is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm interested in the same: how didi she obtain a L2 visa in the first place. even if we assume it was the consular officers mistake, it will be counted against you in terms of consequences. Did you represent as a married couple at the consulate?

In any way, they will absolutely NEED a marriage certificate in order to issue the EAD (I had filed for EAD 3 times, so I went through this procedure). At this point at the latest they will figure out that something is wrong and this can hurt both of your status' (what the heck is the plural of status?)
Old Oct 20th 2007, 5:12 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ivonne
(what the heck is the plural of status?)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status