L2 visa and applying for Ssn

Old Nov 4th 2016, 5:28 am
Just Joined

Mammina13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L2 visa and applying for Ssn

I was on a B tourist visa and got married in the US in May. I left in June prior to the expiration of the B visa.
I applied to the London embassy for an L2 visa as my now husband is on an L1A. I entered the US on the L2 in July. When I recently applied for an ssn they said they couldn't issue one because I married in the US. They highlighted a passage in the documents from the Ssa which states that a person can be granted an ssn only if their 'marriage certificate is issued before their arrival in the US on the L2'. I explained that the certificate is dated before my arrival on the L2. However, he said that because I had already been admitted to the States when I got married he could not accept my ssn application. He suggested I contact immigration.
I'm interested to hear if anyone has a similar case or if the officer was correctly interpreting the statement. Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 4th 2016, 5:36 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L2 visa and applying for Ssn

Nonsense. Either go back to that office and get a different rep, or ask to speak to a supervisor, or try a different office. Where you got married and what your status was is irrelevant. You are now in the USA in L2 status and are eligible for a SSN.

Rene
Old Nov 4th 2016, 5:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks. That was exactly what I was hoping someone would say! I am assuming, however, that the notes he made will be on their system so my previous attempt will be logged. Back I go!
Old Nov 4th 2016, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Went to a different social security office today and had a totally different experience! SSN applied for with no problems. Thanks for your reassurance.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 5:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hooray!

Rene
Old Nov 4th 2016, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

boltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, I had a similar experience in a social security office when I arrived on an L2 (nothing to do with marriage). I got told no by the first person I spoke to so just took another ticked and all was fine with the next one.