L2 Visa advice

Old Feb 14th 2020, 7:10 am
Just Joined

P7PNT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L2 Visa advice

My partner's company has paid for and she has now successfully been granted an L1A Visa to work in the USA.

We are both UK citizens and at the time of writing have lived together for 6 years. At the time the L1A Visa was processed we were not married but have always had the intention of being so before she started work in the USA.

I realise with a B2 Visa I could live out there with her but this would not enable me to work. We both have long and successful careers in the UK so I wish to continue my career in America. Which leads me to an L2 Visa.

My two questions are:

1. Do we need to be married for me to receive my L2 Visa, are there any caveats to this if we have lived together and owned houses together?

2. If we get married as planned, will immigration look negatively on my application if the date of our marriage certificate is after the date her L1A visa was accepted? The status on our applications will differ (hers says co-habiting and mine will say married).

Old Feb 14th 2020, 11:03 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L2 Visa advice

1, Yes you need to be married, That is an absolute. The US does not recognize domestic partners or any other non-traditional form of coupling other than marriage for the purposes of derivative immigration benefits.

2. They don't care. Being married to an L1 visa holder, even for one day, is a de facto reason to be issued an L2.

Be aware that when you enter the US you will need to apply for and receive an EAD in order to work, This will take several months. So the sooner you get married and enter the US the better.

Last edited by civilservant; Feb 14th 2020 at 11:05 am.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

EAD seems to be averaging 6 months but you can expedite.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

P7PNT is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both