L2 EAD question

Old Jan 2nd 2015, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Bayleaf_01 will become famous soon enoughBayleaf_01 will become famous soon enough
Default L2 EAD question

I need some help from someone with L2 / EAD status.

We will have been here 3 years in May. I have L2 visa to go with DH L1A. My initial EAD was valid for 2 years. I renewed it last year and it came back stamped to May 2015, when the I-94 runs out.

I contacted USCIS to ask for advice and was initially told we needed to file for a visa extension. The next person she put me through to told be we just needed to renew the I-94, as the I-129 is stamped as 60 months.

All of this I understand.

The first time DH left the US by air, he was issued a new I-94 when he returned, so his I-94 is valid until Dec 2105. Mine and the kids are valid until May 2015. I need to reapply (again) for EAD 120 days before it expires, so within the next few weeks.

We are lucky that we live 40 minutes from the Blue Water Bridge into Canada, so I called their office a couple of months ago to ask advice. They told me to just come through the border and they would renew my I-94 if the I-129 was still valid.

So this morning, I tried......
what I hadn't realized was that DH needed to be with me! My fault, I understand now that he controls my life when it comes to status.

However, the wonderful border guy then said all 4 passports need to have the same I-94 date (which they don't) and in the rare event that they didn't match (which they don't) and DH date was longer, that my passport and the kids would only be re-stamped to match his date.
Does anyone know if this is correct??

The border guy looked at me as if I was making things up. He didn't see why we would try to have I-94 re-issued a single day before the expiration date. He didn't even know EAD was issued by USCIS!

I have a job and want to keep it
Am I going to have to renew EAD from May to December and then again???

Has anyone asked for I-94 to be issued 120 days before expiration to allow time for EAD renewal??

Oh, and highlight of this morning..... My car being searched and the bonnet and boot hatch being left open for an hour in 20F temperatures