Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L2 dependent child; applying for green card, when will I be able to work?

L2 dependent child; applying for green card, when will I be able to work?

Old May 28th 2019, 12:00 am
Just Joined

Xavim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L2 dependent child; applying for green card, when will I be able to work?

Currently on an L2 visa, with my father as the holder of the L1. Obviously I’m unable to get an EAD under my current status, however his work will be putting the green card application through for us. I’ve heard mixed answers on this topic. A few places I’ve read that I’m able to apply for an EAD after applying for a green card, and other places have said I’m out of luck until I have a green card.
Looking for advice as the prospect of sitting on my hands for the next year or so unable to work really isn’t appealing.
Old May 28th 2019, 12:23 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L2 dependent child; applying for green card, when will I be able to work?

To my knowledge, the I-765 can be submitted along with the I-485 and can take several months to process.

Rene
Old May 28th 2019, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L2 dependent child; applying for green card, when will I be able to work?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
To my knowledge, the I-765 can be submitted along with the I-485 and can take several months to process.

Rene
Correct, and various factors (where your father and possibly mother were born and the preference category your fathers' company intends to file under) will determine how quickly this will be possible.
Old May 28th 2019, 10:31 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the above. While it is correct that you can file the EAD with the GC application, there is more information needed to give anything approaching an accurate answer.
Old May 28th 2019, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

From the acceptance of my EB1-A documents, it took three months to get our EADs (just) and then 8 to the final GC.
Old May 28th 2019, 6:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
From the acceptance of my EB1-A documents, it took three months to get our EADs (just) and then 8 to the final GC.
Are you from one of China, India, Mexico, or the Philippines?
Old May 28th 2019, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Are you from one of China, India, Mexico, or the Philippines?
Que ?
Old May 28th 2019, 6:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Que ?
I am going to assume that means "no".
Old May 28th 2019, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

EB-1 worldwide is currently retrogressed by over a year so even people from the UK are having to wait at the moment and can't file concurrently either (and therefore get EAD+AP at the beginning of the process when the I-140 is filed).

Bizarrely EB-2 and EB-3 worldwide are current!
Old May 28th 2019, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Due to volume of us Management types wanting in! Apr 22nd 2018 is the June date I think, I'm sometime in August 2018. As per other posters it's been quoted as around 3 months from the Adjustment of Status (I485) going in. The AOS dates can be very different depending on EB category and which country you are from and then you check the Visa Bulletin for the dates they a processing currently.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...june-2019.html

Anything from 3 months to 11 years.
edit: Make that longer in some cases.

Last edited by robtuck; May 28th 2019 at 6:58 pm.
Old May 28th 2019, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

You can't just subtract today's date from the date on the visa bulletin either, for example there are so many EB-2 and EB-3 India cases in the queue that the final action dates move forward by a month or two a year at the moment...
Old May 28th 2019, 7:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Then file as an EB2.