L2 for children

Old Sep 25th 2019, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

jason.n is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L2 for children

Hi all,
Not a lot of experience in this so appreciate any answers/advice.

My two children (ages 18 and 20) have their L2 interview appointments in a few weeks in London. To save time as I am looking for an AOS (I-140 is already approved) and I am already in the US on an L1, they have appointments on two different days, it was the first appointments I could grab!!!
I was nervous as hell when I went for my L1A appointment a few years ago. The staff (apart from the immigration officer) were not helpful at all, in fact very blunt. Do they give any assistance to youngsters on their own??
Also, what is the chance of the L2 for a child being denied? I will be fully supporting them. They are looking to possibly go back to community college over here to retrain.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks
Old Sep 25th 2019, 5:22 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L2 for children

someone with more detailed legal knowledge may come along but .... L2 is a derivative visa, so it will be issued and I'm assuming the only reason they want to see your children is to prove they actually exist.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
someone with more detailed legal knowledge may come along but .... L2 is a derivative visa, so it will be issued and I'm assuming the only reason they want to see your children is to prove they actually exist.
Thanks so much for the reply.
Understand the derivative part. I have just read, mostly non-ROW chargables, that L2's for spouses being denied regularly. I guess if they and I have all the correct documentation to prove beyond doubt they are my children, your point is very valid.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 5:34 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jason.n
Thanks so much for the reply.
Understand the derivative part. I have just read, mostly non-ROW chargables, that L2's for spouses being denied regularly. I guess if they and I have all the correct documentation to prove beyond doubt they are my children, your point is very valid.
"mostly non-ROW chargables"
what does that mean?
Old Sep 25th 2019, 6:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

As for giving assistance to youngsters attending an interview on their own, I would say no, especially since 18 and 20 are pretty much "adult", not "youngsters".

Rene
Old Sep 25th 2019, 6:33 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

So long as you have endured that they will each have the correct documentation with them they should be fine. The consular staff are not trying to trick people out, but to ensure that visa applicants are who they claim to be and entitled to the visa that they are applying for. As already said at 18 and 20 years old they are both adults. My own (then) 20 year old son navigated the medical and interview procedures for an immigrant visa with no problems, I am sure your offspring are capable of those for the L2.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the note.
They will have the list of documents needs and a debit card to pay the fees. Hopefully, it will be as breezy as my L1-A interview with my three questions and they will be told their visas has been approved!!
Old Sep 25th 2019, 9:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why is the 20 year old bothering with obtaining and L2? Their visa will no longer be valid when they reach 21. If you have not filed for adjustment of status and your wait time is current before that child is 21, he/she is SOL for getting a green card.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Exactly due to his age.
My AOS will be current very soon, I can file now after the October bulletin.
The only way my attorneys can guarantee to get him through in time is if he has an AOS as well. For that, I have been told they need to be in the US, with a dual intent visa (L2). My issue is that my attorneys forgot to tell me they need an L2 for an AOS end of last year, now all is a rush. The emails and conversations read they just arrive on US soil and file. That locks their ages in in file date.

So perhaps not so SOL???
Old Sep 26th 2019, 12:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tell them not to have too many beers in the Pub beforehand.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: L2 for children

Originally Posted by Boiler
Tell them not to have too many beers in the Pub beforehand.
That will me while waiting for them to call me!!
Old Oct 21st 2019, 8:10 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

How did the interviews go?
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 2:46 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: L2 for children

Hi,
Thanks for checking!
Interviews went very well. For anyone that is interested detail below as I tried to searc

Arrived at the embassy at 8:30 am for a 9 am appointment,
Appointment page checked and then sent forward for the embassy doors.
Walked to the first window. More details checked. Fingerprints are taken. Staff member then stated that the photographs looked a little older than six months, could they just pop to the photo booth in the embassy. She went on to explain they could just come straight back to her. Off they trotted and came back to two new photographs and given a number. Interestingly my son was called back, asked if they were together. My son was then issued the same number as my daughter.
They took a seat and waited for their number to be called again. Number then called after 10 mins, they stood in line a few deep.
My daughter explained to the VO that she noticed an error on her DS-160 whereas the passport number was missing the last digit(!!!). This seemed to be not an issue, the VO stated that was not an issue, he would change it there and then for her.
There were asked three questions.

1. What their father's name was?
2. Who does their father work for?
3. Are your parents married?

Interesting last question as my wife has not been issued an L2 and has no application in. Perhaps a double check as the wedding certificate was part of the documents supplied.

They were given the slip and asked to go to the payment counter to pay the issuance fee.
Payment made, went back to the VO.
VO stated all was done, passports would be back in a few days and given a little info postcard on passport return times and how to track.

There were in and out in 50 mins, which was a miracle to me. Passports arrived back 4 working days later.
Good result. Now to file I-485 on Monday.