L1B Visa and leaving employment

Old Jul 21st 2011, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

SiliconValleyGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1B Visa and leaving employment

Hello All!

I hope somebody may be able to help us with this issue. My husband and I are over here on L1B / L2 visas and my husband is due to finish his employment around the end August and we are going to return to the UK. With following the L1 rules we are required to leave the US within 14 days, but we would like to stay another month and travel around CA before returning to the UK.

Does anybody know if we should go to another close country for a short break first and re-enter on tourist visas? I've heard Mexico is a nightmare, but maybe Canada? Any advice would be appreciated - thank you!

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 1:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1B Visa and leaving employment

You might not be let back in. Why not apply for a change of status to B2, so you can tidy up your affairs?

For a sudden redundancy type situation, they're often granted.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SiliconValleyGirl
Hello All!

I hope somebody may be able to help us with this issue. My husband and I are over here on L1B / L2 visas and my husband is due to finish his employment around the end August and we are going to return to the UK. With following the L1 rules we are required to leave the US within 14 days, but we would like to stay another month and travel around CA before returning to the UK.

Does anybody know if we should go to another close country for a short break first and re-enter on tourist visas? I've heard Mexico is a nightmare, but maybe Canada? Any advice would be appreciated - thank you!

I'm not too sure on the visa intricacies, but something else to consider is medical insurance - if you are currently getting this via your husband's work, will this stop when he leaves his employment?

My husband completed his assignment in the US last year and we moved back to the UK (staying with the same employer). We took a short vacation in the US before we relocated back to the UK and did find it a wee bit tricky getting insurance sorted out. A cursory look at UK based travel insurance looked to be no good for us as many of the policies required UK residency for the previous 6 months.

In the end, we asked his employer to continue with his ex-pat salary for an additional month, which meant we could continue with our medical cover.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
You might not be let back in. Why not apply for a change of status to B2, so you can tidy up your affairs?

For a sudden redundancy type situation, they're often granted.
Thank you - that is an idea, do you know if this is something can can be done from the US?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rebs
I'm not too sure on the visa intricacies, but something else to consider is medical insurance - if you are currently getting this via your husband's work, will this stop when he leaves his employment?

My husband completed his assignment in the US last year and we moved back to the UK (staying with the same employer). We took a short vacation in the US before we relocated back to the UK and did find it a wee bit tricky getting insurance sorted out. A cursory look at UK based travel insurance looked to be no good for us as many of the policies required UK residency for the previous 6 months.

In the end, we asked his employer to continue with his ex-pat salary for an additional month, which meant we could continue with our medical cover.
Thank you for that advice, I hadn't even thought about that. We have kept quite a lot of our English banks cards going at my in laws address in England, and I think we still have our English Amex health insurance running - as we have only been out here 6 months, but I am going to check on that!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you - that is an idea, do you know if this is something can can be done from the US?
Yes, that would be the point of a Change of Status.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Yes, that would be the point of a Change of Status.
Hi Bob, thank you so much for your help, do you know if you can do the change of status online?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:40 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bob, thank you so much for your help, do you know if you can do the change of status online?
All the info is on here.
http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Resources/C2en.pdf

You would need to file Form I-539

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by N1cky
Thank you so much Nicky - your a *
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You'd better check in with the immigration lawyer who helped you get your L visas so you don't make an error on this crucial application.

It's not necessarily just 'listen to a group of strangers who give you a link'.. I encourage you to do some research.