L1B Visa DUI Application

Old Dec 11th 2022, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Hireland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1B Visa DUI Application

Hello everyone,

My company recently offered me to move to the US on the L1B Visa. I have a DUI on my record from July 2018 in the UK.

How will this affect my visa application? From what I have been reading online, the most likely scenario is that I will need to attend a medical exam as part of my visa application process (as DUI is within the past 5 years), and pass it, so I am not denied on health reasons.

If this is the case, how is this interview/examination conducted, and how does one pass it? My company will be providing me with a immigration lawyer, but want to make sure I am well prepared. I never had to disclose the DUI to my employer, so have not withheld anything here.

Is there anything else I need to consider?

Would appreciate the insights from other members, thanks!
Old Dec 11th 2022, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1B Visa DUI Application

What was the consequence of the DUI? Fine, banned from driving, jail time etc ?
Old Dec 11th 2022, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

The consequence was a 20 month ban from driving, reduced to 15 months after a course and a fine of roughly 400 euros. No accident or injuries in the DUI.
Old Dec 11th 2022, 4:53 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

FYI

https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugee...al-health.html
Old Dec 11th 2022, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hireland
Hello everyone,
My company recently offered me to move to the US on the L1B Visa. I have a DUI on my record from July 2018 in the UK.

How will this affect my visa application? From what I have been reading online, the most likely scenario is that I will need to attend a medical exam as part of my visa application process (as DUI is within the past 5 years), and pass it, so I am not denied on health reasons.

If this is the case, how is this interview/examination conducted, and how does one pass it? My company will be providing me with a immigration lawyer, but want to make sure I am well prepared. I never had to disclose the DUI to my employer, so have not withheld anything here.

Is there anything else I need to consider?

Would appreciate the insights from other members, thanks!
You attend a medical examination for a visa application regardless of whether you have a DUI or not; so your DUI will be considered in addition to your usual medical examination.
You will, during the visa application, have to declare any arrests or convictions - as you have not had to declare such to your employer, personally, I would inform them of such (and also the lawyers) , so they are not blindsided if the DUI leads to additional scrutiny such as a visa waiver procedure.
Old Dec 11th 2022, 5:50 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You attend a medical examination for a visa application regardless of whether you have a DUI or not; so your DUI will be considered in addition to your usual medical examination.
You will, during the visa application, have to declare any arrests or convictions - as you have not had to declare such to your employer, personally, I would inform them of such (and also the lawyers) , so they are not blindsided if the DUI leads to additional scrutiny such as a visa waiver procedure.
OP is applying for a NON-immigrant visa. Medical exam is always required for immigrant visas but it is up to the consul whether to require one for a non-immigrant.

As an aside, a close friend is the widow of an Australian citizen who is visiting her adult stepdaughters. Although done online, the Australian visa process is now more complicated than it used to be. The Australian algorithm immediately requested a medical report from a panel physician. Diana and the doc are of the belief that the request was due the fact she was 77 years of age. (Diana is a retired OR RN, so she and the doc spoke the same “language » so to speak).
Old Dec 11th 2022, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
OP is applying for a NON-immigrant visa. Medical exam is always required for immigrant visas but it is up to the consul whether to require one for a non-immigrant.

Oh yes, quite right..... I had one for my Green card, not my L-1A ...
Old Dec 12th 2022, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Many thanks to both of your replies and advice.

Yes, I will definitely be up front about it in any case, regardless of an eventual medical or not.

I will keep you updated on the process and eventual result
Old May 26th 2023, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Hi both,

just updating and curious about your expertise:
The consular officer noted I needed the medical which is now scheduled. (in dublin)
It seems some cases in London that I have read about have required 12 month abstinence testing, though one doctor I spoke to (a panel physician in the US) mentioned he only looks for alcohol abuse through questioning (ie how much one drinks etc). There is a lot of conflicting information online.

What is your opinion / experience / expertise on how these things have gone in recent times?
FWIW I only drink a glass at special occasions and that is it (so not worried if they test for alcohol at the medical), more stressed about having to wait 12 months.
Many thanks!
Old May 27th 2023, 8:48 pm
BE Commentator

This is going to be between you and one individual physician. You have written standards from the CDC which they have to follow. The contents of DSM5-TR are available. The panel physician has to follow that.

What the bottom line will be, who knows? It will be a professional opinion and they can vary.
Old Jun 8th 2023, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Anon63WPT is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting.

can I ask, have you travelled on an ESTA visa since your DUI and did this come up in your interview?

what was the outcome

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 20th 2024 at 2:38 pm.